Can I stick a GoPro on top of my DJI Phantom 3?
5475 11 2015-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shawnide
lvl.3
Flight distance : 55341 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am new to flying and I was wondering if I can attach a GoPro to the top of my DJI Phantom 3 Standard.  I want to take 360 Panoramas and it would save time in faking the sky if i could grab a pic from the top pointing straight up.

Will this cover the GPS or put it off balance?

Here is the first image of a Polar Pano I did on Black Friday from about 300ft up.

AHS_PP.jpg
2015-12-1
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

No!  That will block the GPS antenna, and will also add to the weight, which I'm sure it can handle, but will put more stress on the motors/ESCs and the battery.
2015-12-1
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi ,shawnide
It's not suggested to do that . As Gary said , this might interfer the GPS signal and put more stress on the aircraft . Balancing the aircraft could be a really tough job . By the way , the Polar Panoramas is really good !
2015-12-1
Use props
shawnide
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the input guys...  That is what I expected.  I thought the GoPro Session may be small enough to not interfere, but I don't want to lose connection to the satellites.  If I have 13 satellites on the ground, would i still have them in the air?
2015-12-2
Use props
shawnide
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks DJI-Patrick... More to come!
2015-12-2
Use props
Ithacus
lvl.2

United States

Center of Gravity = CRASH
Maybe DJI will give us Collective/Cyclic Propellers some day
2015-12-3
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Im not sure why you want to place a camera on top of a phantom pointing up... Wouldn't it be just blue skies and isn't all the action below the phantom??
Here is a spherical 360 I did with a P3A, Litchi and Autopana Giga 3.0.

Google Maps
https://www.google.com.au/maps/p ... 7df25!6m1!1e1?hl=en

2015-12-3
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

How would your props spin with a GoPro mounted on top?  You would need to mount a pole on top in the dead center of the bird and mount the GoPro on top of that.  And as others have said, it would interfere with the GPS.
2015-12-3
Use props
shawnide
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-12-3 08:44
Im not sure why you want to place a camera on top of a phantom pointing up... Wouldn't it be just bl ...

I like your 360... I want a camera on top to avoid the black section at the top of yours.
2015-12-3
Use props
shawnide
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-12-3 08:52
How would your props spin with a GoPro mounted on top?  You would need to mount a pole on top in the ...

not the Session... it is a small cube that would not interfere with the blades.  The GPS on the other hand sounds like a problem.
2015-12-3
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You can always try mounting the upward facing camera at the front/back by using a pole/carbon rod.  
You can always try setting the P3 camera tilt to +30 and flying backwards fast enough to avoid seeing the props. Just take a few photos in different directions as the sunlight will affect the stitching.
2015-12-3
Use props
shawnide
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Round 2... This one was done with the HDR mode on the DJI.  Apparently HDR's take some time to take.  This was done with 28 images from 400ft in the air.  My battery was dropping 2 % with each image.  It took so long, it started landing itself on my descent.
FR_HDR_PP.jpg

2015-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules