Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FAA 333 Exemption Question- Already hold Private Pilot's License
723 2 2015-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyboyNC
lvl.1

United States

[size=14.6667px]Hey guys. I have a question concerning flying a drone for profit. If I'm already a private pilot, what exactly do I need to do to comply with the FAA rules on flying a drone for profit? I would like to take photographs for real estate agents and home owners in my area for a fee.

[size=14.6667px]Someone told me previously to not charge for flying the drone but the editing of the photographs. Is that a loop hole or asking for trouble?

[size=14.6667px]What is the best way to comply with the FAA to take aerial photos for profit while already holding a pilot's license? Should I just wait until 2016 when they release the [size=14.6667px]CFR 14 Part 107 that does away with FAA 333?

[size=14.6667px]Thanks.

2015-12-4
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

AS I UNDERSTAND IT...  You will also have to register the aircraft (N number), and display it on the the aircraft.  Beyond that, insurance will probably be required.  Check the FAA sites for more information.
2015-12-4
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been a pilot for over 20yrs. My buddy was the first realtor in the country to get the 333 exemption. Since he's not a private pilot I do all ofhis Real Estate flying.
I decided to get my own exemption, and it took 3 months form when I filed the petition to when I got the exemption.
It's extremely easy to get an exemption and the FAA pretty much grant it to everyone who files a petition. When they were first handing them out I looked at the exemptions (you can see them online) and they are 20-50 pages long and all full of legal jargin. If you look at the most recent exemptions some are only a few pages and not written very well but still granted.
BUT, with an exemption your expected to comply with the rules and for Real Estate stuff it's impossible to comply with your exemption. (biggest rule is no-one whos not part of your shoot can be within 500ft) Totally impossible to do unless you're doing some rich guys house on lots of acerage.
I've done 2 legally and the rest I just give the work to my friends. BUT they can still get into trouble because if you profit from it then you are a commercial drone polit and then need the exempton and pilots license.
It's dumb my Phantom is registered with the FAA and has it's owen N-number. That's a horrible ordeal to get all that BUT that rule will change real soon and it will be very easy to register with the FAA.
2015-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules