Landing Pads
6950 21 2015-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jackamick
lvl.2
Flight distance : 101988 ft
United States

How necessary are landing pads for landing and takeoff? Currently I do both on grassy areas, but have heard of people using pads.
2015-12-4
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can use a makeshift landing pad if your trying to take off in really dirty conditions. Also, sometimes you may get into a very restricted uneven landing zone. Hand catching works great with the Phantom. it's extremely easy to hand catch and may be better than trying to land on a little rock that happens to be the only level surface around.
2015-12-4
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha jackamick,

Landing pads are great for training and to see if your IMU needs calibrating.  They are a good target.  Like jasper says though. they clean up a dirty situation.  Dirt inside the P3 can create problems.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-12-5
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

A simple DIY disk cut out of 1cm thick dense foam (36 to 40 cm in diameter) is easy to carry, costs nothing, and keeps your camera clean on takeoffs & landings in grassy or muddy fields. Like Cetaman says its also great training for landing, especially if there's some mild wind. Incidentally, a white disk is easy to see from high above. Handcatching has its risks, so I like to reserve it for conditions where its necessary.
2015-12-5
Use props
jackamick
lvl.2
United States

jasper7821@yaho Posted at 2015-12-5 00:50
You can use a makeshift landing pad if your trying to take off in really dirty conditions. Also, som ...

What's the trick for hand catching?
2015-12-5
Use props
jackamick
lvl.2
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2015-12-5 04:59
Aloha jackamick,

Landing pads are great for training and to see if your IMU needs calibrating. ...

I brought this up because I had to land in some sand recently. Wasn't too bad but I noticed a tiny bit of sand on my drone, mostly stuck on the rubber gimbal shock absorbers.
2015-12-5
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

jackamick Posted at 2015-12-5 08:19

Do it very carefully!
2015-12-5
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

It makes it easier on the Gimbal if you are in somewhat tall grass. Also prevents dust and dirt from getting in thee working parts during take off and landing.
I just bought a very nice one from tomstechtime.com  it rolls up for storage and transportation. When on his sight check out the other goodies such as contact info if lost, etc. I must say that he has extremely fast shipping. I have no association with him other than my purchase.
2015-12-5
Use props
jackamick
lvl.2
United States

I through together this little thing with a piece of linoleum for 55 cents and some yellow duct tape. I added some plastic feet (the kind for furniture on wood flooring) to lift it slightly, but I wanted something that would fit in the laptop section in my bag. Will test it out as soon as this fog lifts!
2015-12-5
Use props
jackamick
lvl.2
United States

jackamick Posted at 2015-12-5 09:52
I through together this little thing with a piece of linoleum for 55 cents and some yellow duct tape ...

Having issues getting the photo to upload...

Pad

Pad

Bag

Bag
2015-12-5
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

jackamick Posted at 2015-12-5 06:19

There really is no trick for hand catching, I bring the Phantom back to about 5ft high and a few feet in  front of me ( I uded to fly R/C helis so I'm used to nose in, but it's a lot easier orientation wise  to bring it into you tail in)
I'm left handed so i have the radio in my left hand, just reach up and grab it from one of the legs. Hold it firmly then move the throttle to off and after the motors stop then I walk away with the Phantom.
2015-12-5
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

I keep a 3'x3' piece of plywood in my trunk. In addition to all of the reasons listed above, I don't like landing in grass, because the grass pushes on the gimbal.
2015-12-5
Use props
jackamick
lvl.2
United States

jasper7821@yaho Posted at 2015-12-5 10:14
There really is no trick for hand catching, I bring the Phantom back to about 5ft high and a few f ...

I tried this tonight at the beach.... I don't think I'll ever land on the ground again - even with my 55 cent landing pad. Sooooo easy to just catch.
2015-12-5
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

I had this made because I sometimes take off in bare earth areas.

usually hand catch if but will occasionally land so the MME app captures appropriate reference
2015-12-5
Use props
JonE5
lvl.2

United States

I have been landing on the box it came with but may build a little plywood landing pad
2015-12-6
Use props
Buy Low
lvl.2

United States

I made this so I could practice manual landings. 4 inch removable legs. Platform is 1/4 inch and 24 x 24 inch.

Landing pad

Landing pad
2015-12-6
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi to al,

I am practice to do the landing on they air but I am scared to do it alone. (Because of the horror stories about stop the engine in midair - with both stick  to low corners)

Is it save to land with the landing stick left (100%)  and doing nothing with the right stick or are the engine also stopping in midair.

(Sorry - I am a carful rookie)
2015-12-29
Use props
quikdom
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hand landing - Hover down to around 6/7ft just a few feet away from you  (I always have it almost just out of reach on height rather than eye level)  Let it settle, walk towards it with your grabbing hand and the opposite hand on the control left stick.  Grab the bird's leg and then left stick down until it stops.  Having the RC on a lanyard helps and will give you more options if anything goes wrong.
2015-12-29
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

I just use my hard case to take off and hand catch on the way in. That way I can minimize the junk I have to carry. Works well.
2015-12-29
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ok thanks

But the engines are not stopping when you land from example 100m fast down (left stick 100% and do nothing with the right one)?

Engines stops only when you are not losing altitude anymore?
2015-12-29
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

SHamers Posted at 2015-12-30 00:05
Ok thanks

But the engines are not stopping when you land from example 100m fast down (left stick 10 ...

That's correct.
the engines won't stop on full down throttle only (left stick) unless then aircraft thinks it landed (i.e. no longer descending).

A note of caution though in still and light wind conditions, prop wash can cause the aircraft to become very unstable. Try to keep the aircraft moving in these conditions, but be very aware of an accidental CSC.
2015-12-29
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks mike
2016-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now