NEW P3 Pro Hard Auto Landings Compared to Standard P3. How to adjust?
1194 11 2015-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyboyNC
lvl.2

United States

Hey guys. I received my new P3 Pro from DJI on Friday. After charging everything up, updating firmwares last night, I was finally able to put the bird in the sky today. I upgraded from the P3 Standard. I always as a safety precaution when I get about 10-15 feet off the ground, select Auto Land. My standard P3 would always land soft as cotton. It would descend and then just before touch down, it would adjust and buffer making for a perfectly soft landing. My new P3 Pro does NOT do this. On auto landing, it comes down so hard, it nearly tips itself over twice today. Does this have anything to do with the P3 Pro's Visual Positioning? Could something be defective with this system or not calibrated correctly? Is there a way for me to adjust this auto landing feature so it will land as soft and smooth as my previous P3 Standard?

Thanks.
2015-12-5
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Try doing it with and without the Vps on. The Vps must have not been able to find a good pattern. Make sure your on a good surface. They are listed in the manual
2015-12-5
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

The one time I tried autoland it was firmer than I like.
Haven't used it since
2015-12-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I almost always land manually.  Unlike others, I practice making landings as if I had passengers on-board.  I let it down gently, and kill the motors the instant it touches down.
2015-12-5
Use props
JonE5
lvl.2

United States

Why use auto land? I land my p3s on the box It came with. I've done it about 5 times and no problem.

I've only used 2 batteries worth but it's very smooth so far.

Did you practice with a syma x5c or other cheap drone for 20-40 hours before flying your phantom?

Remember these are aircraft and just like you wouldn't jump into an f15 without the proper training and experience same applies here.
2015-12-6
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi ,
Please try an IMU calibration . And I  personally prefer the manual landing .
2015-12-7
Use props
FlyboyNC
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-7 03:13
Hi ,
Please try an IMU calibration . And I  personally prefer the manual landing .

I have looked through the complete manual and I don't see a section on IMU calibration. Is that the calibration you do when you rotate 360 degrees and then turn the P3 on it's side and rotate again 360 degrees? If not, can you give me instructions on how to calibrate the IMU?

Thanks.
2015-12-9
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

FlyboyNC Posted at 2015-12-9 08:16
I have looked through the complete manual and I don't see a section on IMU calibration. Is that th ...

That is a compass calibration. Do a search for cold IMU calibration. Basically, you have the bird cold and follow the instructions on the DJIGo app.  I believe it is under sensors.Try thi link for info. Plenty more around.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-28026-1-1.html
2015-12-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2015-12-6 15:51
I almost always land manually.  Unlike others, I practice making landings as if I had passengers on- ...

This ^ Good advice.
2015-12-9
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

FlyboyNC Posted at 2015-12-9 23:16
I have looked through the complete manual and I don't see a section on IMU calibration. Is that th ...

Hi ,
You can find the IMU calibration in the app . Please follow that "MC Settins=>Sensors=>IMU Calibration" .
2015-12-9
Use props
ninogiva
lvl.1
Flight distance : 314695 ft
Italy

Well he said he comes from a P3S so one would assume that he has got at least a minimum of skill. That said Phantoms are the easiest quads to fly ever and we are talking about autoland problems, not manual. It seems to me your P3 has difficulties judging ita height, maybe a barometer issue?
2015-12-10
Use props
ninogiva
lvl.1
Flight distance : 314695 ft
Italy

Apologies, I skipped a page!
2015-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules