Gimbal Tilted
1407 21 2015-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dking3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8035 ft
United States

When I fire up my Phantom 3 Advanced, the gimbal always needs calibration, I think it's been just since I installed the 1.5 revision.  It's tilted about 15 degrees, down to the left.  Calibration works fine, but it's a pain to have to do this every time.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Thanks,

Dave

2015-12-7
Use props
IMI193
lvl.3

United States

I have  a P3S, only after this firmware update is my horizon tilted.

Could it be that firmware updates should also be done on a perfectly level surface ?
2015-12-7
Use props
Xwingfighter
lvl.1

France

Hi dking3  , Yep I've been having the same issue after I updated my firmware.   Once I start the Drone the Gimbal does a little calibration then stops and tilts slightly to the left.   Never could figure it out why it did that , I just thought it could be just my drone but on reading your post it must be something.   After I noticed this all i do is a Gimbal calibration on the app, this tends to sort the problem but I have noticed mid flight that it goes back to the  tilted position again.  I'm not really that bothered about it as this drone is practice for the inspire when I can afford it !   

If anyone can shed a little light on the subject please feel free to post a comment !  
2015-12-7
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

IMI193 Posted at 2015-12-7 14:31
I have  a P3S, only after this firmware update is my horizon tilted.

Could it be that firmware upd ...

Well, that's at least 3 of us, so it appears to be the update.  Hopefully, either a Moderator can help us, or another update will correct this.   Thanks for adding your thoughts, but I think I had it relatively flat when I did the update.  
2015-12-7
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

Xwingfighter Posted at 2015-12-7 14:37
Hi dking3  , Yep I've been having the same issue after I updated my firmware.   Once I start the Dro ...

Well, that's at least 3 of us, so it appears to be the update.  Hopefully, either a Moderator can help us, or another update will correct this.   Thanks for adding your thoughts, I haven't seen my tilt back, mid-flight.  
2015-12-7
Use props
IMI193
lvl.3

United States

So I finally had a chance to do some testing a few days after noticing the tilt, today it's gone.

Did a cold IMU/gimbal calibration.

Original test picture at dusk with tilt.

Did another cold IMU/Gimbal calibration.

Made sure powered P3 on, on level surface.

Another test picture before dusk, I'd say its mostly gone.

I did pretty much the same thing before both pictures, calibrations were not on the same day pictures were taken, the only difference is I made sure the P3 was level when I turned it on before the second picture.

Not sure if this helps, but shows it may not be permanent.
2015-12-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just like the IMU calibration, the gimbal calibration also needs to be on a perfectly level surface.
2015-12-7
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi , Dave
Would you please post a video of that ? Thank you !
2015-12-7
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-8 02:03
Hi , Dave
Would you please post a video of that ? Thank you !

This is what I get, just after firing up the aircraft.
Tilted-Gimbal.JPG
2015-12-9
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

dking3 Posted at 2015-12-9 16:34
This is what I get, just after firing up the aircraft.

I've tested this several more times, and get the same tilt, started cold.  Gimbal calibration works fine, staightens it right out, just anoying, takes a while before each flight.  
2015-12-16
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

dking3 Posted at 2015-12-17 09:19
I've tested this several more times, and get the same tilt, started cold.  Gimbal calibration work ...

Hi ,
Sorry for late response . Please check the screw in that hole . It could be loosen .
Yaw.JPG
2015-12-16
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-17 01:12
Hi ,
Sorry for late response . Please check the screw in that hole . It could be loosen .

Patrick,

I checked, and that screw is snug.  The shaft that the camera is attached to is very close to horizontal with the power off.  After the power is turned on, the gimbal goes through it's gyration, and it ends up with the noted downward "hang."  
2015-12-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Does the camera tilt that much on every startup? You can adjust the gimbal roll but don't think it will tilt it as much as that photo.
Have you tried to downgrade to 1.4 ad then upgrade back to 1.5?
2015-12-18
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

dking3 Posted at 2015-12-19 09:20
Patrick,

I checked, and that screw is snug.  The shaft that the camera is attached to is very clo ...

Hate to say but please contact your dealer or US support center . That'll be need to send back for a calibration .
2015-12-21
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-21 07:26
Hate to say but please contact your dealer or US support center . That'll be need to send back for ...

In that case, I think I'll just keep doing a Gimbal calibration every time I fly, a pain, but not as bad as packing it up and sending it out.  Thanks,  --  Dave
2015-12-30
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-18 20:40
Does the camera tilt that much on every startup? You can adjust the gimbal roll but don't think it w ...

Yes, every start up, and you're right, the adjustment range is not great enough.  Of course I haven't gone back to 1.4 and then back to 1.5, why would I?  I really have had a hard time with upgrades, and I don't think I'm up for that, sounds like a good way to mess it up, for sure.  
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry you are having issues, If the is that far off every time you startup, then you should send it in for warranty repair.
I'm hoping it doesn't get worse, I know sending it in is inconvenient but better to have a proper working aircraft then having to do a gimbal calibration every time.
But totally up to you.
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I just saw a video if you want to take a look. Could void the warranty though, I'm not sure.
2015-12-30
Use props
skyphotovideo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 311791 ft
United States

2015-12-31
Use props
skyphotovideo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 311791 ft
United States

i found this on you tube
2015-12-31
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

Amazing, it works, and its reasonably easy.   I didn't get it perfect the 1st time, but it's close.  I'll do it again carefully, when I get some time.  Thanks Skyphotovideo!   Great community support!
2016-1-8
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

dking3 Posted at 2016-1-8 08:51
Amazing, it works, and its reasonably easy.   I didn't get it perfect the 1st time, but it's close ...

The mechanical fix was close, but somehow many of us missed the right fix.  It's to calibrate the internal IMU sensors, and this YouTube video explains it, not hard at all, and seems to be perfect.  I'll see how long it lasts.  
2016-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules