Wireless video and the Fatshark
3679 12 2015-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Been thinking about the fact that more and more devices have the ability to send video via wifi to another display.  By wifi,  I am assuming they mean standard 2.4 ghz wireless.  If this is the case,  and you have a device capable of doing this,  could you use that signal with the Fatshark  Dominator v3?  Because that would be a lot simpler than some other solutions.  Anyone familiar with this tech yet?  Or will I have to be an early adopter and find out the expensive way?
2015-12-8
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

You'll probably still need a transmitter/receiver/antenna combination for the FatShark - the ones I looked at on Amazon work on 5.8 GHz, not 2.4 GHz.
2015-12-8
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-12-8 17:33
You'll probably still need a transmitter/receiver/antenna combination for the FatShark - the ones I  ...

The Fatshark website says they have both,  either is a plug in job on the goggles.  The thing is,  does it require a proprietary video signal.  After investigation,  I discovered that my Galaxy S5 has the ability to mirror the screen to a wireless display device.  And according to the Fatshark people the module is only 30 bucks.  So I suppose I may as well go ahead and try it.  Except the one big issue.  The Dominator V3's only accept an HDMI signal of 720p.  I don't think I can change that,  as my S5 is a Verizon model running lollipop android 5.1 and is unrootable.  If it were possible to root the S5,  there are lots of apps to change resolution. I will probably try it anyway,  I should be able to tell if it is possible. If so, I will get a device that outputs 720p res for the goggles.
2015-12-8
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

I've used "screen mirroring" on my Tab 4A, it's too much data to stream to 2 devices, one stream coming "in" from the Remote, the other going "out" to the TV...it makes both videos really choppy and useless.  It worked okay for the first 10 seconds or so, then I started getting really choppy video and the TV froze up all together.  I think the only way this can work is with the HDMI output board and a cable for the video output.
2015-12-9
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2015-12-8 18:45
The Fatshark website says they have both,  either is a plug in job on the goggles.  The thing is,  ...

You can root the S5, my co-worker has his rooted.  Just search the android forums...
2015-12-9
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

SpunOne69 Posted at 2015-12-9 08:49
You can root the S5, my co-worker has his rooted.  Just search the android forums...

You can root many of the S5's yes.  But the Verizon version running the latest android 5.1 code named lollipop is not one of them. It seems Verizon is very serious about not wanting people to be able to do what they want with a device they own.  So if you own a Galaxy S5 with a build version ending in BOG5,  forget about root for now. And possibly forever. There is a 20,000 dollar unclaimed bounty for anyone who can root this device.
My version is G900VVRU2BOG5
2015-12-9
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

bryansroofing@g Posted at 2015-12-9 11:49
I ordered the Fat Shark Dominator v3's too.    It would be really cool to use them for FPV with head ...

Actually,  you will need 2 new futaba controllers,  and I do not believe they are compatable with the P3.  One controller is the master, the one you connect to the HT is the trainer.  The master still controls the aircraft with the trainer controlling the HT signal to the aircraft.  
2015-12-9
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

SpunOne69 Posted at 2015-12-9 08:48
I've used "screen mirroring" on my Tab 4A, it's too much data to stream to 2 devices, one stream com ...

Well, that's discouraging.  I'[m not familiar with the tab 4a, does it have a powerful processor?
2015-12-9
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Wifi = Latency.  Lots and lots of latency.  Think 1-5 seconds behind.

You crash and 5 seconds later you get to see why.
That's why lightbridge exists.
2015-12-9
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

SpunOne69 Posted at 2015-12-9 11:48
I've used "screen mirroring" on my Tab 4A, it's too much data to stream to 2 devices, one stream com ...

That sounds similar to what many experienced in the heyday of the Microsoft FlighStim. I once saw a setup with five (5) monitors for differing views from the cockpit. Initially, it was a "frame rate killer" i.e., everything got really super choppy. Then the guy set up a network. Four of the PCs were networked onto the fifth PC and the monitor on the #5 PC only had to control the straight-out-front display. The other four PCs only had to control one view each. It worked extremely well.

Unfortunately, the Microsoft FlightSim got to a certain level and then they stopped updating it. I still have it on an old PC (that's all it runs anymore). Flying something real on my own has turned out to actually be more fun. Since I can no longer pass the medical required to fly for real, flying my RC planes and my quads has been a great substitute - although the aerial photos get from my friend's plane would blow away what I get from the Phantom! But the video from the Phantom is certainly a lot cheaper!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-12-10
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

I have the Fat Shark Dominator HD goggles.  I fly with an Nvidia Shield which has HDMI out port on it.  I mirror the screen to the goggles when plugged into the tablet.  The glasses work great this way.  They also work great when connected to the HDMI port on the RC if you do the mod.  Once adjusted for your eyes, they offer a great view when flying.  I actually don't use them for flying, I like to keep my eyes on my quad.  But my grandson loves wearing them when I am flying.  Friends who go flying with me feel more involved and like they are participating in the activity when wearing them as opposed to just standing around watching me fly.
2015-12-10
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2015-12-9 13:05
Well, that's discouraging.  I'[m not familiar with the tab 4a, does it have a powerful processor?

The Tab 4A has a quadcore snapdragon, it works fine for flying P3P (I tried three other tablets/phones before buying it) but it has limitations like any other tablet.  I noticed the video getting choppy every five or so flights, but if you do a "reset" its fine.  But, like I said, running two video streams at once just doesn't work out...
2015-12-12
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

I imagine it would work fine for streaming with the HDMI output board, since that comes directly from the controller and not the tablet.  It just sucks that you have to be "cabled" to the device you're streaming too and not transmitting wireless...
2015-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules