Just a minor issue stopping the props after a great flight
1448 7 2014-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kenrulestheworl
lvl.2

United States

I had my second flight since new on my Phantom 2 vision and there was a small issue after landing. I landed with about 40% battery. Happy, successful, cool videos.

After landing, I held the sticks in the full down towards center position for at least 15/20 seconds and the craft dropped into a very slow prop rotation, maybe 20 RPM. I left go of the sticks to carefully pick it up and it gently tipped back onto the blades and stopped.

No damage, the prop tips are still perfect.

It was running much slower than the RPM that it assumes when it is idling before take off, just barely rotating.

I will try the left stick back and centered for some time after my next flight to see if that kills it.

I have done several propless flights and killing it with both sticks pulled back and towards the middle worked well.

2014-12-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Left stick back for 3 seconds will shut down the motors upon landing, both sticks back and inside will shut down motors in flight.
2014-12-26
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you have the V2 Tx it has an indent at the bottom of the throttle that will hold it in the 0% position.  Nice for a near auto landing.
2014-12-26
Use props
ljhellmich
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-12-27 09:17
If you have the V2 Tx it has an indent at the bottom of the throttle that will hold it in the 0% pos ...

Yes, and if you don't pull it past that indent, it won't kill the motors.  Make sure you aren't feeling a "false bottom" when you pull back and hit the indent.
2014-12-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

ljhellmich@yaho Posted at 2014-12-27 09:19
Yes, and if you don't pull it past that indent, it won't kill the motors.  Make sure you aren't fee ...

As long as you are still decreasing altitude, it will not shut the motors off.
2014-12-26
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

ljhellmich@yaho Posted at 2014-12-27 09:19
Yes, and if you don't pull it past that indent, it won't kill the motors.  Make sure you aren't fee ...

Good point.  It can be a bit firm initially.
2014-12-26
Use props
kenrulestheworl
lvl.2

United States

Thanks, I read and learned after it happened. It was cold, landed in a little snow, It seemed to be spinning in SloMo. IF I had held the sticks while respecting the prop arc, it would have been no problem.

I knew as soon as I released the control and the sticks auto-centered that I should have held them. It was a small mistake, I was lucky.

Like I said, every time I did the propless flight both centered and down killed it. I had spectators, that makes it higher stress!
2014-12-26
Use props
ljhellmich
lvl.4

United States

kenrulestheworl Posted at 2014-12-27 09:23
Thanks, I read and learned after it happened. It was cold, landed in a little snow, It seemed to be  ...

Yep on the spectators thing.  Spectators in close proximity cause a release of some kind of primordial hormone that makes us quick to leap before we look, causes us to forget things, and tends to lower our IQ.  Oh but what a feeling!
2014-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules