Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying in Fog
6950 7 2015-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shawnide
lvl.4
Flight distance : 55341 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are there any concerns with flying in fog?  I am wondering if the moisture will effect my bird.  I have seen some videos from above the fog and this morning is very foggy.  I would love to fly above it and get some shots.  I took it up for about 5 minutes to grab a quick peak, but it was too thick.  

Here was the quick peek...
Foggy Morning
2015-12-10
Use props
nrgwise
First Officer

United States

Moisture!  You fly in fog and you are basically flying your quad through a fine mist of water.  Would you fly in the rain?  Eventually your quad will be wet.
2015-12-10
Use props
Vasek
lvl.1

Czechia

Agree with nrgwise... Tried yesterday for a while, yes quad was very wet, and since then I know it was not a bright idea at all. Dried the quad home carefully with cloth and hairdryer. Never more.
2015-12-10
Use props
sharper4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 767379 ft
United States

I think the unit would be fine but I'd be more concerned that you'd develop a problem later, have to send the unit in and find that it's not covered under warranty because the water mark shows signs of moisture inside.
2015-12-10
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I've done the fog thing and won't do it again.  Like others have said here and elsewhere, your warranty is likely void now, as the fog probably triggered the moisture indicator on the main board.  Mine was dripping when it came down.  I went through about 200 feet of fog to get above it.  Of course, being in or above the fog is illegal in the US, but you probably know that already.
2015-12-10
Use props
wmw1490
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40269 ft
United States

I went to a dam near my home in Blue Ridge, GA and since it was very cold (28 degrees is cold for us southerners) there was fog being generated by the difference in temps of the air/river.  I just flew a little bit below the fog layer and decided to call it a day when the electromagnetic interference was causing loss of video, magnetic compass and controller signal.  Those were brief interruptions, but enough for me to pack it up and fly another day.  All I could imagine was my p3 standard flying straight into the dam.  Below is a video I shot during one of those short flights--you can see how unstable it was even just holding position.  Very little wind that morning.  I agree with others...flying IFR in a quadcopter is not legal and not good for the health of the bird.  I'm a commercially rated pilot and know you can't file IFR in one of these just yet.  :-)

2015-12-10
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi , Shawnide
I know it's a extraordinary experience to fly in the mist . It's so mysterious and beautiful  . But it's not recommeded to do that as  shells are breathable .  Please take care of that !
2015-12-10
Use props
shawnide
lvl.4
Flight distance : 55341 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great advice guys... My bird didn't have any moisture when I pulled it in, due to the small flight.  I'm glad I posted this.
2015-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules