Propeller Changing Frequency?
1217 8 2015-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coasteraddict
lvl.1
United States

What is the best practice regarding changing out your used props for new ones? I currently run the Inspire 1 Pro with quick release. Should I change them every ____ number of flights or flight hours? Obviously, if there is wear and tear on them, it is necessary to switch them out, but what if no wear is shown on them? Do you still change them at a specific frequency to be safe?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and recommendations!
2015-12-10
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

I too would like to know this. Personally, I think the only real danger, besides crashes, is the sun on the plastic. My guess is once every year, but that is a guess.
2015-12-10
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

I could have sworn this came up some time ago and not sure if it was "official" but it was something like every 60-70 flights. need someone to verify. DJI?
2015-12-10
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have flown with the props that came with mine for over 400 flights. No problems. Not sure why they would ever need to be changed unless you see wear on them but I am not sure where that would come from. Just my $0.02
2015-12-10
Use props
coasteraddict
lvl.1
United States

Outside of a crash or trimming up materials or tree leaves by accident, I cannot see where obvious damage would appear.
2015-12-11
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

I don't have a specific answer to your question. I do think these props are pretty beefy and could go a long long time before needing replacement. I too have heard the 50 or so flights and its time to replace.

You should inspect the hubs for stress fractures. That is where I would expect failure. If you find some then replace not just that one prop but the whole set. I would not mix old and new. I would treat all four props as one.

2015-12-11
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

houston Posted at 2015-12-11 00:13
I have flown with the props that came with mine for over 400 flights. No problems. Not sure why they ...

I would imagine that they would be fine for use unless there were signs of damage. I would think this would vary by the number of times that they were removed and reinstalled causing wear on the prop hub and the locking system on the motor.
2015-12-11
Use props
Richardrambone
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Some times damage can not be seen with the naked eye so I would recommend every two hundred flights.
2015-12-11
Use props
coasteraddict
lvl.1
United States

At the price that you pay for new props, I have no problem taking the safe route. It is much cheaper to pay for props than it is to repair a drone if you wait too long. With that said, I also do not want to be wasteful either! Also, is there ever a case where you might take off the set of props that are perfectly okay and put on a new set only to replace them back again with the first set? For example, does anybody have a practice set and then a fresh set for that very important aerial flight?
2015-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules