Gimbal moving during timelapses
3340 15 2015-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FabricioE
lvl.3

Venezuela

I'm new with the Osmo but not new making timelapses.

The gimbal seems to move by even a soft wind or non level floor. How can I make my timelapse steady? Should I lock the gimbal?

Thanks.
2015-12-10
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3
Germany

Same thing here. DJI promised to "work on it".
To be very clear: currently the Osmo is NOT usable for timelapse video recording on somewhat the quality level DJI advertises it:
- no 4k timelapse video  as promised but just 1280 x 800 (!!!)
- Gimbal slightly moves uncontrollable as you described it
- Pre-Programmable 2-axis camera rotation announced but not yet there
- The fastest frequency you can select for timelapse is 1 Hz (=1 fps). Sometimes I would also like a faster recording frequency (lets say 2-4 Hz) for smoother timelapsing (especially Hyperlapse).
- The DJI Tripod not usable without the extension rod (not mentioned in sales text, but required to do steady timelapsing)

The only good thing about that: all those issues (but the tripod one obviously) seem to be fixable via Software / Firmware update.
Hopefully they also reduce the power consumtion of osmo, while 45 Minutes is not really sufficient for timelapsing.
It´s christmas soon, so maybe DJI sents us a little update as a christmas gift?!

Martin
2015-12-10
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, the drift of Timelapse is an existing firmware issue, we will fix it in the next firmware release. You can lock the pan while you're shooting Timelapse.
2015-12-10
Use props
sdchew
lvl.3

Singapore

I just tried the timelapse function using the new firmware... no gimbal movement at all....

Well done DJI!
2015-12-25
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

sdchew Posted at 2015-12-26 14:24
I just tried the timelapse function using the new firmware... no gimbal movement at all....

Well do ...

Mine good now to,no drift in time lapse and it shoots all 4K resolutions now to
2015-12-25
Use props
FabricioE
lvl.3

Venezuela

Now that the time-lapses errors and bug are things from that past is there any good news about the pan & tilt movement during a timelapse?
2016-4-30
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

FabricioE Posted at 2016-4-30 23:27
Now that the time-lapses errors and bug are things from that past is there any good news about the p ...

+1 for the above post, that would be good.......
2016-5-1
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

FabricioE Posted at 2016-4-30 23:27
Now that the time-lapses errors and bug are things from that past is there any good news about the p ...

Our engineers have managed to make some improvement in the latest firmware 1.6.2.10 for the timelapse drift issue.
If there's still any problem, we'll try our best to improve more in the future.
2016-5-1
Use props
awollenh
New

There is. Any news?
2016-7-3
Use props
ndestruct32
lvl.1
Flight distance : 95538 ft

I purchased an osmo a little over a month ago & installed the latest firmware. Just started shooting timelapse on it & had a nearly 180 degree drift on one 20 min. Timelapse. This shouldn't be! Can anyone help or is timelapse a complete bust trying to hand hold it for that long? Pretty sure the documentation stated I could hold the gimbal while filming & achieve great timelapse shots.
2016-10-24
Use props
ndestruct32
lvl.1

FW V99.99.99.99.bin
2016-10-24
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3

ndestruct32 Posted at 2016-10-25 07:33
I purchased an osmo a little over a month ago & installed the latest firmware. Just started shooting ...

Yapp,

you´ve also been fooled by DJIs adverting with respect to TimeLapse capabilities of the Osmo (classic).
Welcome to the club!
- No 4k TimeLapse video
- No (controlled) gimbal motion as being promised (3rd party App Litchi provides that feature, additional 10 bucks)
- Still uncontrolled gimbal drift (even though DJI managed to reduce the drift quite a bit, it was even worse before...)

Now DJI even states that Osmo classic is not recommended at all for TimeLapse!!!
Shame on you DJI!

But the Drift really shouldn´t be 180° within 20 minutes.
What Firmware are workin with?
Did you perform gimbal calibration before recording?
I would also strongly recommend using a tripod for steady TimeLapse recording. Free hand just for Hyperlapse recording (constant chage of position, e.g. walking through the city).
2016-10-24
Use props
ndestruct32
lvl.1

Thanks for the heads up, at least I know now. I'll squint severely in their direction before believing their documentation again
I will try to calibrate it again. & I'm running the latest firmware.
2016-10-25
Use props
ndestruct32
lvl.1

It might not be a full 180 but the video shows a large pan range of motion & I was standing as still as I possibly could.
2016-10-25
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

ndestruct32 Posted at 2016-10-25 01:33
I purchased an osmo a little over a month ago & installed the latest firmware. Just started shooting ...

Hi, you're suggested to lock the gimbal when doing a timelapse with Osmo
2016-10-26
Use props
Mike_man
lvl.1
Flight distance : 63264 ft
Ukraine

Good day. i`m using latest update(v1.6.1.00 as it is on your site) and was locking gimbal in menu or trigger and have the same problem as in this topic. please help

2019-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules