Off topic: Best sub-$200 UAV
1400 9 2015-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

I currently have a P3P, but am looking for something like an inexpensive trainer for more complex manuvers without having to worry about smashing my P3P. I don't need one with a camera.

So what's hot?

Thanks,
Brad

2015-12-11
Use props
JonE5
lvl.2

United States

Syma X5C (X5C-1) is the best bang for the buck.

It is actually more maneuverable than the Phantom.  Only about $50, i also have a Syma X11 that i can fly indoors/outdoors.

I put in 30-40 hours of flight time on these before i ever touched a phantom.  I made sure to fly them high, fast, in strong winds to know how to counter the effects, and even practiced going very high and killing the motors, to practice evasive maneuvers and get a sense of the minimum height to hit full throttle to save from a crash.

This flight experience was invaluable.  I have a high confidence in my flight abilities now, (but even so, i have started flying the Phantom 3 standard) in very slowly escalating difficulty of manuevering.  It is faster, stronger, and heavier than the Syma, but flight characteristics are similar.

The Syma X8c is VERY close to the size of a phantom, my plan was to get one of those as well, but i ended up going straight to the p3s after the black friday sales.

Just like a real pilot has to qualify with a certain number of hours, i would strongly recommend this for your phantom so you wont crash.  In addition to this i watched about 25-30 hours of tutorial videos, and read the manual cover to cover.

I may build a 250 size FPV carbon fiber racing quad with FPV later on, but those fly so different than the phantom i wouldnt say experience in one of the other would help the next stage as much.
2015-12-11
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

This is how I practice:
http://www.phoenix-sim.com/
http://www.realflight.com/

I have a similar model to the Syma X5C which I never use since it is too big for indoors and I prefer the phantom outdoor.

I do use a lot cheap stuff like this guy:
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine- ... r-RTF-p-975808.html

Fly anywhere.

Cheers.
2015-12-11
Use props
wmw1490
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40269 ft
United States

I started out real cheap with a Hubsan...around $40.  It is tiny, meaning it could ride on your p3p and fits in the palm of your hand.  Flying is completely hands on at all times.  Only real help/intelligence is that it keeps itself right side up.  Very durable, cheap crash kit and is a low cost way to develop some skills.

When I purchased the p3 standard, I did the requisite reading and prep, but actual flying was so much easier.  Where the Hubsan becomes most difficult is when you get some distance it is hard to tell which way it is pointed.  No way to simply hover and use other tools to help figure out stick movements relative to position.  It does have lights, but those are tiny too.  

I find it hard to recommend the Hubsan, but for me it worked out ok.  I shot some grainy video and got lots of low cost flying time in before moving up.  The Hubsan has been gifted to a youngster to help develop his skills/interest in flying.  

Good luck!  
2015-12-11
Use props
CFM01
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I started out with a Syma x5c and still fly it today. It not great when there is a bit of wind around as its so light, the camera is rubbish, but it does help with basic flight control.

What do people think of this
Onagofly

After the Zano I would be skeptical. They are basically promising Phantom features at a fraction of the cost...
Plus I've yet to see a mini drone with full GPS features at this cost.
What do people think?
2015-12-11
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

I would also give a vote for the Hubsan X4 (H107L without camera is fine). Even if you crash it, its easy to repair. One useful skill to acquire with it is learning to bring it back when it is far out. As wmw1490 pointed out the lights won't be useful for knowing the direction.The trick is to move the craft forward (right stick) and watch which direction it moves: if it goes to the left, use the rudder stick to turn that way and continue forward. You will discover that by doing this the bird will turn toward you. Continue with smaller steps as it zig-zags right & left and you'll soon be flying straight back. Start this exercise first with the bird not too far away, then move out. I assure you this can be useful later with your Phantom.
Good flying!
2015-12-12
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

I agree with the Hubsan as a tool to learn how to fly the quads.  If you can fly one of those, you can fly a Phantom AND have some skills if something goes wrong with the Phantom in flight.
2015-12-12
Use props
wmw1490
lvl.2
United States

johnsr Posted at 2015-12-12 04:23
I would also give a vote for the Hubsan X4 (H107L without camera is fine). Even if you crash it, its ...

Good tip!  I got a lot of flying done in my Hubsan and really abused it several times.  It always came back for more once you snapped it back together.  My only real disappointment was the camera video quality.  I know, it's less than $50, but you can still want crystal clear videos.  

2015-12-12
Use props
wmw1490
lvl.2
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-12-12 08:31
I agree with the Hubsan as a tool to learn how to fly the quads.  If you can fly one of those, you c ...

You got that right!  After full time flying the Hubsan, being able to go hands off for a while to sort things out is a great bonus of the p3.  
2015-12-12
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for all the feedback!

I have logged 100's of flights with my P3P, so not really looking for anything related to that. I have even spent many hours flying it manually so I can get it back if I lose satellite.

The simulator approach looks really interesting. What I'm after is working on stunt-type flying, which the P3P is totally unsuited for. Thus the request for the less expensive and smaller craft.

Thanks again,
Brad
2015-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules