Yet another 1.5 firmware failure - Flyaway causes complete destruction of air...
123Next >
7131 87 2015-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
snowride419
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5555102 ft
United States

Lots of 1.5 failures on this and other forums and these issues just cost me a P3A!  1.5 introduced crazy vibrations AND drifting/wandering in all 3 directions in my P3A and following multiple threads here I have tried just about everything:
downgrade to 1.4 and then upgrade to 1.5  followed by IMU, RC and compass calibrations (5 or 6 times)
New props
Downgrading to 1.4 reduced the Gains to 90% and then 80% with no change.
I then did a reset of all settings and this is where shit hit the fan...I attempted to take off and hover about 6 feet up but when I took off the bird flew up, up and away regardless of my controls.  The P3A then hit power/telephone wires above my street and then cam down, down, down into multiple pieces.

Don't fucking tell me "oh you should have done X, Y and/or Z" because if that shit was necessary the App should have mentioned to do other things after resetting the settings.  If a flyaway is a remote possibility after resetting the settings, then developers should have put a warning in the app!!!

I'm so flipping mad right now, DJI what are you gonna do, charge me hundreds of dollars to fix a mistake that you created with your shit-tastic firmware release?

Class-action lawsuit for all your customers that you grounded or worse with your firmware?  I'm not a DJI hater, but right now I'm very upset with how all this has happened.
2015-12-11
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

WOW... Sorry dude.  Good luck with your class action suit.  I assume you are a lawyer?
2015-12-11
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-12-12 01:29
WOW... Sorry dude.  Good luck with your class action suit.  I assume you are a lawyer?

What makes you assume I'm a lawyer?  I'm a victim here of bad firmware
2015-12-11
Use props
Othan1
lvl.2

United States

Class actions only benefit the lawyers and effect change in laws.  You will personally not be satisfied with the results.  Take it on yourself in small claims.
2015-12-11
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
United States

what no moderator expressing sympathy and providing me a way to pull flight logs, etc?  Everyone elses poor experiences have become my nightmare!  Can I please get someone @DJI to step up here?
2015-12-11
Use props
Jkeller84
lvl.4
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

snowride419 Posted at 2015-12-11 20:29
what no moderator expressing sympathy and providing me a way to pull flight logs, etc?  Everyone els ...

Just gonna throw this out there, but maybe try calling them? Or email?
2015-12-11
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
United States

Jkeller84 Posted at 2015-12-12 09:44
Just gonna throw this out there, but maybe try calling them? Or email?

Yep did that...and now I'm waiting very impatiently.  Other people report flyaways and multiple moderators are helping out.  I got crickets
2015-12-11
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

snowride419 Posted at 2015-12-12 12:29
what no moderator expressing sympathy and providing me a way to pull flight logs, etc?  Everyone els ...

They probably haven't seen it.
You don't need their help though to check the flight log.
Go to www./healthydrones.com  and follow the instructions there

If you want DJI help, go to: http://www.dji.com/support?www=v1
Click the Online Tech Help icon on the right of the screen and chat with them online
They'll want you to download the file from the Phantom's "black box recorder"
You can do that by connecting the usb cable to the Phantom and entering flight data mode in the app
2015-12-11
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
United States

I don't need help looking at the logs, the drone crashed and is done...broken arm, damaged motor, camera completely broken off.  I need help from DJI to fix it.
2015-12-11
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

snowride419 Posted at 2015-12-12 12:55
I don't need help looking at the logs, the drone crashed and is done...broken arm, damaged motor, ca ...

So see the extra I added to my post above
2015-12-11
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-12-12 09:56
So see the extra I added to my post above

Awesome, thanks!
2015-12-11
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Lmao "that's when the shit hit the fan"

Stunning visualization, thank you.
As for your drone, please call and be patient. If they tell you that they won't fix it, that's when it's would be time to make a post like this. Bugs happen. This is a new technology. It will be repaired if it truly wasn't your fault.
2015-12-11
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

Hi ,
I'm so sorry about the accident !  And apologize for late reponse !  You've already called US support center or emailed them ? Please upload the flight records as the instruction .
Upload flight records via the DJI GO app:
a. Enter the flight record page by clicking the icon at top left.
b. Click the star-shaped icon associated with the relevant flight logs to save them to the app. Then click the cloud-shaped icon at the top right side of the screen to upload them.
c. Provide DJI with the login email account on the app.This will allow us to access your flight logs via our server.
2015-12-11
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-12 14:28
Hi ,
I'm so sorry about the accident !  And apologize for late reponse !  You've already called US s ...

I chatted with online technical support who told me NOT to grab the logs as it was "dangerous" to try and get the logs from a crashed phantom.  Jackson from online technical support asked me to submit a support ticket which I had already done.  My concern now is that I can't find my receipt...should I try and contact the shop where I bought this or will my credit card statement be adequate?
2015-12-12
Use props
mvn591014
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38537 ft
United States

Michael M Posted at 2015-12-11 21:44
Lmao "that's when the shit hit the fan"

Stunning visualization, thank you.

DJI, the World's biggest drone maker and seller, has the most problems with its drones from crashes and flyaways. Who can forget the infamous DJI Phantom White House crash a while ago which resulted in grounding of all aerial unmanned vehicles in a 15 mile no fly zone?

And now, DJI GO app developers keep on screwing up the software making it impossible for DJI owners from simply taking off and flying their quadcopters.

What are DJI Phantom 3 owners supposed to do with their thousand dollar grounded drones? Send them back to DJI for a refund?

Thanks snowride419 for letting the public know the truth about the DJI Phantom 3 problem!
2015-12-12
Use props
mvn591014
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38537 ft
United States

DJI, the World's biggest drone maker and seller, has the most problems with its drones from crashes and flyaways. Who can forget the infamous DJI Phantom White House crash a while ago which resulted in grounding of all aerial unmanned vehicles in a 15 mile no fly zone?

And now, DJI GO app developers keep on screwing up the software making it impossible for DJI owners from simply taking off and flying their quadcopters.

What are DJI Phantom 3 owners supposed to do with their thousand dollar grounded drones? Send them back to DJI for a refund?

Thanks snowride149 for letting the public know the truth about the DJI Phantom 3 problem!
2015-12-12
Use props
JonE5
lvl.2

United States

Am I not understanding? You know there was an issue and flew anyway?
2015-12-12
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
United States

JonE5 Posted at 2015-12-13 01:08
Am I not understanding? You know there was an issue and flew anyway?

Jon, please stop trying to be a provocateur.  I didn't know a "flyaway" was going to occur.  I don't KNOW anything, I simply have an opinion based on observations.  I was investigating bad behavior (drifting and vibrations) from my quad that started immediately after upgrading to 1.5.  Since DJI hasn't admitted to an issue I was simply trying on my own to validate the issue.  I have a long professional history of developing and testing firmware and software so my curious nature was just trying to figure out if 1.5 truly was an issue.  No where on this forum or on FB groups has DJI warned their customers of this firmware so why should I have been concerned this would happen?  Do you understand now?
2015-12-12
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

snowride419 Posted at 2015-12-12 23:52
I chatted with online technical support who told me NOT to grab the logs as it was "dangerous" to  ...

Hi ,
Please contact your dealer about that .
2015-12-13
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

snowride419 Posted at 2015-12-11 18:08
What makes you assume I'm a lawyer?  I'm a victim here of bad firmware

I use the same firmware with no issues.

So far
2015-12-13
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

mvn591014@gmail Posted at 2015-12-13 01:01
DJI, the World's biggest drone maker and seller, has the most problems with its drones from crashes  ...

Hi , Sir
May I ask what troubles you about the Phantom 3 ?  Is there any bad experience ?
2015-12-14
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
United States

UPDATE - Here is the email I got from DJI.  Note they do not offer to fix the quad but offer me a discount on a brand new quad.  But the kicker is that I only need the quad which is $759 retail ($531 with 30% off) so not only are they completely ignoring the fact this happened while beta testing poor firmware they want me to but a new RC controller with my quad!!!  WTF?!?
"Thank you for your patience.
We have reviewed your survey, and based on the incident you experienced, we want to provide further assistance.
First, we want to remind you that the remote connection our Phantoms use can be interfered with by outside sources as per FCC law. Flying near any large amounts of concrete, steel, powerlines, wifi technology, and other man-made sources can affect the behavior of the aircraft. Also, calibrating the compass over or near any of these objects or material can cause issues in flight. This is a general reminder and may not necessarily apply to your situation.
We would like to offer you 30% off a new purchase of a Phantom 3 Advance for $699.30
To accept this offer, please reply affirmatively, and also include you shipping address for the invoice and shipping label. Once we receive that information, we will generate and email you a shipping label.
Please also reply with your proof of purchase for your product.
**Failure to include the proper paperwork and proof of purchase will delay this process.**
You will then receive an invoice and instructions on how to pay via email. Once payment is received, we will ship your package with a tracking number.
Thank you for your patience and support of DJI."

The horrible experience of my flyaway happened in my backyard on my wooden deck where I do the majority of my flying.  There was no concrete or steel, the power lines were 100 feet away (behind me) and the wifi is the same as it was for the past 6 months. I don't want a discount on a new phantom, I want DJI to fix the situation that I feel they put me in.  It was DJI firmware that broke my phantom and a DJI representative has admitted to "an issue with the older version Phantoms."  This flyaway is a direct result of "an issue with the older version Phantoms."  This is DJI's mistake shipping out firmware that ruined the performance of my phantom.  DJI should not have released the 1.5 firmware.  What happened to my phantom is not a result of environment as DJI alluded to but rather a result of BETA TESTING DJI FIRMWARE.
2015-12-22
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Just to look at this from another perspective let us imagine we are talking about a car.  And you read on the car forum about some owners having problems with the cars computer.  So you decide to take your car out and see if you can get the same results.  instead of contacting your dealer.  And you end up crashing your car.  And you blame the car.

Not making a judgement, just making an observation.
2015-12-22
Use props
nigelwilkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

gil Posted at 2015-12-23 04:35
Just to look at this from another perspective let us imagine we are talking about a car.  And you re ...

That's all well & good, but at what point should you decide not to take off?  Slight vibration? slight wandering or drift?  The drone flew itself into the situation from what I can see.  Not only that. but DJI have not confirmed there's a problem that might cause a flyaway.  They haven't even confirmed there's a problem at all!

Personally I would refuse to accept the offer.  DJI's first response to a problem is to offer a discount on a new drone, without even discussing the cause of the issue, whether it's theirs or the owners.  As soon as you accept the offer, you're accepting a settlement so they can wash their hands of it.  If they are sure it's not a fault, they wouldn't offer anything, so they either don't know, because they can't find what it might be, or the do know & don't want to admit liability.  It would be about now that I'd be seeking legal advice.
2015-12-23
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know some people are having issues, the 1.6 will take care of battery issues. The vibration some are experiencing is on 1.5 is from those with the older motors and ESC's, they are working on it.
if your aircraft has an incident and the flight logs will show what caused it, if equipment malfunction then DJI will take care of it.
2015-12-23
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

Im so glad I have upgraded to the new firmware, and Im not going to - ever.
My bird flys exactly the way I want it to, does everything I need since the last upgrade, so its never gonna be upgraded, why should it !!!

One happy flyer - Buzz
2015-12-23
Use props
nigelwilkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-23 15:53
I know some people are having issues, the 1.6 will take care of battery issues. The vibration some a ...

Offering 30% off a new drone without any explanation isn't taking care of it!!   Either the equipment is at fault or it's not.   They should say which & explain what the operator did wrong if they're expecting him/her to bare most of the costs, which they are in this case.
2015-12-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

nigelwilkins Posted at 2015-12-24 01:15
Offering 30% off a new drone without any explanation isn't taking care of it!!   Either the equipm ...

I don't know what the rules are as a beta tester, but for the everyday user if there's an incident under warranty and the DAT data shows that is was not user error then DJI will repair it without charge.
2015-12-23
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-23 12:26
I don't know what the rules are as a beta tester, but for the everyday user if there's an incident ...

Ken,

I don't think the OP is beta tester per DJI.

I think he is referring to the fact it appears as if the "users" IE; the OP are beta testing the firmware as we go.

It is a fair assessment at times!  
1.5.3 seems to be one of those times!

take care and have fun flying!
2015-12-23
Use props
msoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460522 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-23 10:53
I know some people are having issues, the 1.6 will take care of battery issues. The vibration some a ...

Ken, how can I tell if my Phantom has older motors?
2015-12-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

msoto Posted at 2015-12-24 02:24
Ken, how can I tell if my Phantom has older motors?

Here's the details and photos of the motors.
http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news ... al-advanced-motors1
2015-12-23
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-24 01:26
I don't know what the rules are as a beta tester, but for the everyday user if there's an incident ...

My apologies for not being clear...I am not in any developer program nor am I an official beta tester for DJI.  I am a user who has the older version of Phantom and am very much affected by the vibrations and "toilet bowl effect" introduced with firmware 1.5.  Since DJI has not officially announced an issue (random postings by forum mods don't REALLY count) with my Phantom and many, many people reported no issues I felt like the issues I saw (vibration and TBE) were being swept under the rug.  I was doing A/B testing (firmware 1.4 vs 1.5) to PROVE the issues were introduced via firmware...it was during this testing that the flyaway occurred.  

Someone mentioned why would I fly when I "knew" there was an issue, but I didn't KNOW an issue was present and DJI STILL has yet to officially announce an issue.  Lots of people were reporting no issue at all with 1.5.  The car analogy doesn't work because the dealer (DJI) has not admitted an issue.  Car manufacturers are required by law to announce safety recalls but I don't think toy manufacturers have the same liability (I'm no lawyer), and I don't think vibrations and TBE counts as safety issues.

Again, I'm really surprised that I haven't been asked to send my quad in.  Reading other threads detailing others' experiences with support the firs step was to send in the quad and they had an analysis completed within a couple weeks.  I'm at 2 weeks and my case has moved nowhere!  I'm no further now than I was 2 weeks ago when the P3A went on its last trip.  The only thing I have now is a large amount of frustration!
2015-12-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry, from reading I thought you were a Beta tester. Can you upload the DAT file of the flight to Dropbox and post a link and also give me your ticket# and I'll look into it Monday. I can have the tech analyze the DAT file Monday.
2015-12-23
Use props
AK Eagle
lvl.2

United States

Morph1 Posted at 2015-12-23 06:48
Man this is nuts, I am so worried to fly that thing now, I really enjoy having P3 type of drone but ...

This is nuts!! I have only flown my p3a 1 time since owning it because I'm so scared it's going to fly off and I've had it for at lease 6 months. The one time I did get it in the air I was stressed out with worry! It's wasn't fun like it should have been. Now I have to register with the faa!? #what a waist of money!
2015-12-23
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-24 09:20
I'm sorry, from reading I thought you were a Beta tester. Can you upload the DAT file of the flight  ...

When I talked to your support rep over IM he told me not to plug the aircraft in after a crash because he was concerned about "my security"

So am I now being told it's ok to plug in a crashed aircraft without having to worry about my security?

I contacted DJI support over IM because there were no files even after putting the aircraft into the special mode through the app (I don't recall exactly the mode or the thread I followed).  I put it into the mode and followed the directions but I never saw a device appear on my PC when turning the aircraft on while connected via the usb plug above the label.  No device on PC = no DAT files
2015-12-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

This is how to extract the DAT files.

Use the DJI Pilot app to enter "Flight Data Mode".  

1. Click the top right corner of the main screen to enter the settings menu.
2. Choose the blue highlight icon to enter the MC Settings menu.

3. Select Advanced Settings.
4. Select "Enter flight data mode".

There will be a prompt that tells you to connect the Phantom 3 via USB cable and you will be in flight data mode.
A drive will show up on your computer that contains a log file for the most recent times you have turned on your Phantom 3
2015-12-23
Use props
Marius.Skancke
lvl.1
Norway

Im curious, did you at anypoint switch to ATTI mode?
2015-12-27
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-23 13:35
Here's the details and photos of the motors.
http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/compatibility-notice ...

So do we have to replace our old model motors ?
Old models are at risk ?
How can we proceed ?
2015-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

GQ. Posted at 2015-12-28 04:10
So do we have to replace our old model motors ?
Old models are at risk ?
How can we proceed ?

GQ, if you have vibrations that will not go away with calibrating the IMU, compass & gimbal, and lowering the gains then you can send it in for repair and they will switch out the motors and ESC's.
But, you would need to post the DAT file and show a video of it hovering so we can see the vibrations.
2015-12-27
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules