Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Yet another 1.5 firmware failure - Flyaway causes complete destruction of air...
123Next >
5419 87 2015-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
snowride419
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-24 09:20
I'm sorry, from reading I thought you were a Beta tester. Can you upload the DAT file of the flight  ...

DJI-Ken,

I uploaded the DAT file for the flight in question...Actually 2 files both had the same timestamp, but I'm assuming it was the 303 file that is the actual crash.  
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jve5q94azajvhp6/FLY302.DAT?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4e824ppm763q6bm/FLY303.DAT?dl=0

I have also made available a known good flight on 1.4 before I upgraded to 1.5
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsgkb11x1u5sj14/FLY272.DAT?dl=0

And here is the first 2 flights after upgrading to 1.5:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cn9w7dwk0mo8z69/FLY279.DAT?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zoebkhy4hwef1nz/FLY280.DAT?dl=0

Let me know if there is anything else that you need.
2015-12-27
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

My P3 Pro has the older motors and I've had it since April and have never had an issue with it. I update soon after new firmware comes out and just today updated to 1.6 and it works great on both my P3 and Inspire V2.
2015-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

snowride419 Posted at 2015-12-28 10:29
DJI-Ken,

I uploaded the DAT file for the flight in question...Actually 2 files both had the same  ...

I will forward to the techs in the morning, thanks.
2015-12-27
Use props
snowride419
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-28 10:58

Hi DJI-Ken,

I just received notice that my ticket was closed but the is NO RESOLUTION.  Can you please investigate why my ticket was closed without any investigation into my DAT files that I uploaded nearly 3 days ago?
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

snowride419 Posted at 2015-12-31 01:17
Hi DJI-Ken,

I just received notice that my ticket was closed but the is NO RESOLUTION.  Can you p ...

What is the ticket#
2015-12-30
Use props
snowride419
lvl.4

United States

ticket #236183
2015-12-30
Use props
americanrawlins
lvl.3

United States

I will follow this story closely and hope that DJI takes care of you like they did myself. I had an error occur which caused my p3p to fall from the sky. After a total of 16 days it was fixed and shipped back to me at ZERO cost. They did not give me a reason why it happened so I ended up calling them. DJI needs to get their crap together..... They are probably a billion dollar company by now, HIRE MORE FREAKIN STAFF ALREADY!!!! I recommend calling them and ask to speak to the supervisor. Unless there is something else that you might be forgetting to tell us? either way I hope it works out for you bud cause I know it sucks paying $2,000 and not being able to fly it because DJI screwed up. If DJI knows all this crap is going on why aren't they issuing a recall?????
2015-12-30
Use props
jeffreyfjohnson
lvl.2

United States

snowride419 Posted at 2015-12-23 18:45
My apologies for not being clear...I am not in any developer program nor am I an official beta tes ...

I am a little confused here.  You admit you were "testing" the firmware to see if you could duplicate a suspected problem with the software.  Your aircraft acted crazy, flew away, you are mad, you expect DJI to pay for the repairs or replacement.  What I am confused about is what were you expecting to happen?  Did you expect some message to appear on the screen saying "Congratulations!!!! You have successfully duplicated a suspected error, please send this information to DJI to claim your new Phantom 3 Pro."?

You intentionally tried to duplicate a error, got the result you were not expecting but somehow you had to know nothing good would actually come from trying to induce a fault.  Your aircraft flew away and crashed into many pieces and you say it was the fault of the software and not yours???  I am sorry, but I find that completely ridiculous.  This wasn't DJI's fault, you intentionally tried to make a fault occur.  Now if you had been on a routine flight, performing routine maneuvers, using the aircraft as it was intended to be used and it then flew away and crashed I would be on your side, Hell, I would even help pay for the class action lawyer.  But this was completely your doing, not the fault of DJI.  Take ownership for your actions, stop blaming others for something you did intentionally, trying to duplicate a suspected fault with the firmware.  You mentioned earlier you have experience as a developer and firmware writer/creator/editor.  I guess none of your firmware/software has ever needed to be upgraded or updated, it has always been perfect the first time.

Sorry, not trying to antagonize or being passive-aggressive, just how I see it.  

Each time I fly I am always concerned that my aircraft will fall from the sky, fly away, burn up on re-entry but you know what, I fly anyway, that is why I spent the money for it.  If you are too scared of what might happen if you fly then stop flying.

Just my two cents worth on this topic.

Jeff
2015-12-30
Use props
DrACE
lvl.4

United States

Ive upgraded each time and never have had a problem.  Do the proper calibrations when needed, fire my bird up, let it hover for about 20 seconds at about 20 feet up and away we go.  I think so many crash these things purely on human error and then want to blame DJI.  It's a very common thing I see on here.  
2015-12-30
Use props
DrACE
lvl.4

United States

So what is it?  You were trying to duplicate a error and it crashed or was it a flyaway OR like most times, did you just crash it and want someone other than yourself to blame.  Hummmmm let the jury decide.

2015-12-30
Use props
snowride419
lvl.4

United States

jeffreyfjohnson Posted at 2015-12-31 06:26
I am a little confused here.  You admit you were "testing" the firmware to see if you could duplic ...

Whoa there.  I wasn't trying to reproduce an issue, I HAD the issues.  I HAD the drifting/wandering.  I had the vibrations.  By "testing" I mean I tried messing with gains and other settings as mentioned in a thread on this forum.

I wasn't expecting some "Congratulations" message I was expecting to reduce the vibrations and drifting/wandering.

I feel like a "beta tester" because I installed 1.5 thinking it was legit only to find out later that there is a motor ESC issue with this firmware.  Tring out different firmware versions (1.4 vs 1.5) and different gains setting trying, desperately, to find the magic settings that would allow me to fly.
2015-12-30
Use props
snowride419
lvl.4

United States

DrACE Posted at 2015-12-31 06:37
Ive upgraded each time and never have had a problem.  Do the proper calibrations when needed, fire m ...

my flight was 13 seconds total, I tried to hover, that's all.   I just was trying to see if the vibrations were still present.  Just a few seconds after liftoff it went SW without my control
2015-12-30
Use props
snowride419
lvl.4

United States

DrACE Posted at 2015-12-31 07:02
So what is it?  You were trying to duplicate a error and it crashed or was it a flyaway OR like mo ...

I wasn't trying to duplicate an issue, I was trying to make an issue go away...HUGE difference

What jury?  Are you kidding me?  Go troll somewhere else, your attitude is not welcome.
2015-12-30
Use props
americanrawlins
lvl.3

United States

snowride419 Posted at 2015-12-31 08:40
I wasn't trying to duplicate an issue, I was trying to make an issue go away...HUGE difference

Wh ...

I totally understand where you are coming from snowride, My p3p crashed DUE TO DJI'S FAULT.....NOT MINE AND THEY EVEN SAID IT.
2015-12-31
Use props
snowride419
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-28 10:58

DJI-Ken,
Has anyone at DJI looked at my DAT files yet?  Also in post #41 you mention that I can send in my drone for repair, can you please explain the process for that?  My aircraft needs to be repaired from a crash (that occurred as a direct result of me trying to "fix" the drifting and vibrations introduced by flakey firmware, 1.5), but IMHO DJI should replace the motors/ESC because DJI knows there is an issue.
2015-12-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

snowride419 Posted at 2016-1-1 01:06
DJI-Ken,
Has anyone at DJI looked at my DAT files yet?  Also in post #41 you mention that I can se ...

Reply to the email asking for it to be sent in for repair instead of the offer they made you, I don't know what your cost would be. You are talking to the wrong person, I answer questions on the forum then refer you to the RMA people if you need to send something in or have a crash.
2015-12-31
Use props
snowride419
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-1 01:12
Reply to the email asking for it to be sent in for repair instead of the offer they made you, I do ...

I'm talking to you because A) you are one the only one from DJI that is communicating with me (thank you for that) and B) you said you would send my DAT files to the techs.

I responded to the email in question the same day it was sent to me (12/22) but I haven't seen a response.  I have updated both tickets with the same information, but I really don't want another 10 days to go by before I receive a response.
2015-12-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I am looking at you ticket and I do not see a response from you after they made the offer until this morning on that ticket number. Honestly, this is getting way deeper than what I do for DJI but I've been trying to assist you since last week.
I only answer posts here, everything else is up to the people at the different departments.
I see you responded this morning, let them get back to you and whatever they say goes. I have no authority on what happens to crashes caused from users or DJI malfunction.
2015-12-31
Use props
snowride419
lvl.4

United States

Calling DJI support was ultimately the correct thing for me to do.
12/11 IM: Pointed me to submit ticket online
12/11 I submitted the online support ticket (232043) and then I submitted the requested information, however there was confusion on terminology...I said "flyaway" which by DJI definition means that I was not able to recover the aircraft. I was able to recover the aircraft which makes this a "crash" regardless of why it crashed (user error, device error, etc.).  Because DJI thought I was not in possession of the aircraft they made me an offer to buy a new P3A package at a 30% discount.  Additionally a new ticket (236183) was spawned on 12/22; I just saw the email and I responded without looking at ticket numbers.  I didn't realize that my new comments were going to a separate ticket until 12/31 when DJI-Ken pointed out the 2 ticket numbers.
12/31 I called DJI and after a short wait (about 15 minutes of being on hold) it only took 5 minutes of talking with someone before I was given an RMA to send my aircraft in for repairs
2015-12-31
Use props
americanrawlins
lvl.3

United States

snowride419 Posted at 2016-1-1 01:59
12/11 IM: Pointed me to submit ti ...

I told you that bro! lol Don't waste your time on this forum.... ALWAYS CALL THEM!
2015-12-31
Use props
mal6514
lvl.3

United States

americanrawlins Posted at 2015-12-30 15:47
I will follow this story closely and hope that DJI takes care of you like they did myself. I had a ...

Man just sent my p3p (less than wk old) for this same reason.  They just got my bird to them in California now waiting for updates. Sucks they didn't let u know what was the caused sounds identical to my situation . And now I wait
2015-12-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

snowride419 Posted at 2016-1-1 01:59
12/11 IM: Pointed me to submit ti ...

I totally went to bat for you, you will be covered under warranty my friend.
You will get an email, don't know if now or on Monday.
2015-12-31
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.4
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

GQ. Posted at 2015-12-28 04:10
So do we have to replace our old model motors ?
Old models are at risk ?
How can we proceed ?

Good question.  I have upgraded FW to 1.6 but have the old meters, can I expect problems to.  P3P seems to be working just fine currently.
Ken, can you please answer GQ and me?
Thanks
2015-12-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

No, if you updated and your Phantom is flying great than go fly and have fun. If you have some vibration, then lower the basic gains and see if it is ok then.
2015-12-31
Use props
snowride419
lvl.4

United States

BLKMAMBA Posted at 2016-1-1 21:34
I had the same issue once I upgraded and my drone fell in the ocean. The trolls on this board will s ...

Call DJI.  Wait on hold for 15-20 minutes and talk to a human who will hopefully be able to resolve your issue in just a few minutes.  Calling worked for me after IM, online support tickets and forum posts weren't working out like I expected.  You also won't have to worry about any random posters assigning blame   Good luck stay calm
2016-1-1
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
Flight distance : 10273494 ft
  • >>>
Germany

snowride419 Posted at 2015-12-31 01:40

Wh ...

I had my P3 Professional  since April, updated to every new release, and almost never calibrated even the compass. No issues exept for a crash from pilot error. To my surprise DJI replaced my drone with a new one. Perhaps they new something that I didn´t? The new one now has 150 flighs/30 hours of flight with zero issues
2016-1-1
Use props
bobasbury
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1116444 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think there are lessons to learn here.  Be calm, be nice, be concise.  It is easier to get ants with honey than it is with vinegar.  Insults only leave people feeling insulted, not motivated.
2016-1-1
Use props
CodeSection
New

United States

Newbie here.  So, I received the P3P as a Christmas gift.  I have been trying to read as much as possible about it as well as about any flight similators.  I have not opened the box.  It was purchased at BestBuy.

I started following this thread and now I am considering returning the unopened package back to BB for a refund.  But, before doing so, I would like clarification on a couple of items.

It appears there are two posters in this thread that have experienced complete failures caused by firmware updates.  Is there a way a consumer can determined if their model has the "older" motors?  Is it possible to determine this without opening the package?

For what it is worth, I tried to change the standard avatar.  It appears it cannot be changed when one uses an iPad.  It gives reference to refreshing the page with the F5 key.  Seems strange that the P3P uses iPhones or iPads as screens, but you cannot use them to make avatar changes on DJI site with an iPad.  Perhaps there is another process....

I appreciate any and all comments.
2016-1-1
Use props
asmiley
lvl.3
Flight distance : 336083 ft
  • >>>
United States

BLKMAMBA Posted at 2016-1-1 07:34
I had the same issue once I upgraded and my drone fell in the ocean. The trolls on this board will s ...

Umm, yes I think they did respond to you, you just refuse to hear what truth they are saying...

Our RTH department will get with you, It seems the aircraft did exactly what it was supposed to do. It flew behind a very tall building and lost signal. Since the RTH altitude was set at 30 meters it probably hit the building on it's way home.

Setting: The height of the RTH is 30m.
Height of the drone is 67m.
Height of building sever hundred feet
2016-1-2
Use props
Dacon Productio
lvl.3

United States

Have read A LOT of those of generic failures and drone losses. If I would be you, I would collect as many as possible threads from all the forums where owners complain about drone fails from generics and compile them in a database to be sent to FAA, FBI, HLS and demand under the safety policy to have the birds grounded till further investigation. Also contact all the media outlets with the caption "a large number of drones lose control and are a major safety risk to population..." remember media runs on hype and would run any story that sells them commercials.
In this way, if somebody causes an accident with a drone, it could be documented as generic induced failure and not bad intention.
Also ask for a 3rd party to inspect the generic code for bad commands. If you can prove the facts with a few bloody pictures caused by a runaway drone, I am sure the generic problem would be solved very fast.
2016-1-3
Use props
morrison91
lvl.1

United Kingdom

snowride419 Posted at 2015-12-12 01:47
Yep did that...and now I'm waiting very impatiently.  Other people report flyaways and multiple mo ...

You will wait a while, they are murder at responding. Chase your email up via live chat.
2016-2-25
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
Australia

morrison91 Posted at 2016-2-26 01:28
You will wait a while, they are murder at responding. Chase your email up via live chat.

Ironic post of the month award - responding to a 2.5 month old post to advise that DJI are slow to reply to emails.
2016-2-25
Use props
ryan209
lvl.4

United States

mvn591014@gmail Posted at 2015-12-12 11:01
DJI, the World's biggest drone maker and seller, has the most problems with its drones from crashes  ...

LOL you are citing the incident where the drunk Gov't employee lost his phantom on the whitehouse long?  To support your claim that  DJI firmware is making birds drop out of the sky?

Your selfie is sweet, but your reality is poor.   I have updated all versions and had zero issues.  Could you point me to even a single issue (confirmed by flight data) of a flyaway/ drop out of the sky that wasn't caused by user error?

I'll be waiting, until then your credibility at the moment is in the negatives.
Edit:  Didnt realize this was an old thread re-dug up but my point stands.  Also, Glad the OP was able to get it taken care of.
2016-2-25
Use props
tim.hulse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72881 ft
Bermuda

carlchristian2 Posted at 2015-12-27 08:08
Same thing happened to me yesterday afternoon in Miami. Mine dropped in the water.

You flew behind a building, it went to RTH and crashed into the building. Didn't you start a huge thread about this?
2016-2-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ryan209 Posted at 2016-2-25 22:58
LOL you are citing the incident where the drunk Gov't employee lost his phantom on the whitehouse l ...

Exactly, I honestly do not know on ONE SINGLE CASE where a Phantom3 or Inspire has had a a flyaway not due to some kind of user error.
2016-2-25
Use props
ryan209
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-25 12:36
Exactly, I honestly do not know on ONE SINGLE CASE where a Phantom3 or Inspire has had a a flyaway ...

I guess that's the nature of the beast.   There are infinite ways through error to crash your bird, and a lot of people aren't willing to understand this, and/or step up take responsibility for their own error when they neglect it.  

1000$ is a lot to spend on a drone and some people I guess think blaming DJI (Or redundantly posting misinfo, threats,  a situation that doesn't reflect the reality of the data) will shift that 1000$ responsibility to "The Big Corporation"   and when it doesn't play out that way then comes the real fireworks.  I.E. the guy on this thread who lost his bird in the drink because he flew out of sight behind a tall building,  yet is still trying to drag DJI through the mud.    The data shows clear as day that he was the cause of the loss, yet he still doesn't have the sense to take a little personal responsibility.

Don't get me wrong, if there is a defect, DJI should take care of it, and if its questionable, they should analyze it and offer explicit conclusions however in my opinion a defect is only a case  .1% of the time.
*For the record I've had a few incidents which left my bird with minor issues,   that were more than likely caused by my own errors,  although due to the fact there was no visibile physical damage,  there is even a chance that if I sent it in under warranty they would have tried to accomodate me.   However I consider myself a person of integrity,  So instead I let my frustration/anger subside,  retraced my steps to find the error I made (and learned something in the process)  spent a good bit of time researching the issues, and was able to fix my issues on my own.  Again, it's called personal responsibility.

2016-2-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ryan209 Posted at 2016-2-26 02:46
I guess that's the nature of the beast.   There are infinite ways through error to crash your bird, ...

Well said, thanks.
2016-2-25
Use props
Bhujang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322867 ft
United Kingdom

So snowride do you have a new p3a now from DJI? It's been nearly 2 months since your last post? Hope you got all sorted. Let us know.
2016-2-25
Use props
Zekekelly
lvl.1
United States

I spent about a month just trying to get the firmware to install without locking up. Tried several devices and called DJI multiple times. There are plenty of documented problems with the new firmware. My drone flew into a bridge and crashed into a riverthe first time it was flown after I was finally able to install it. Of course this is all my fault... Sure. Anyway, I will dispute the charges with my credit card company, file a small claims case and then a report with the BBB. Nothing more you can do. I have been flying drones for a very long time. I have had two fly always and one WiFi transmitter malfunction. All issues were immediately after purchase and resulted in a drawn out nightmare ordeal with DJI. I can't afford to fly drones anymore. Maybe I can get some compensation this time. I don't know.
2018-3-4
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules