Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What are you using DJI drone for?
3745 34 2015-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

We see DJI Drones used in different fields, so I thought it would be fun to create a poll about different DJI usage areas.Feel welcome to vote and comment!
What else do you do with your drones?
7-7.jpg
Single SelectVote, Total 260 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

73.08% (190)
15.77% (41)
3.46% (9)
3.08% (8)
3.85% (10)
0.77% (2)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2015-12-14
Use props
FlyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106483 ft
Belgium

I think it looks cool just standing on my desk
2015-12-15
Use props
FirstFlight
lvl.1
United States

This data is bad for us commercial operators.  It appears that these rigs are being developed for personal use vs. commercial professional use.  We use a pair of Inspire 1s and S1000s for aerial photography and inspections but, need a camera with digital zoom.  Doesn't look like we can expect that from DJI anytime soon.
2015-12-15
Use props
fhhowdy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 438107 ft
United States

Can you repost the survey so that we can document all of the uses?  The way the survey asks the question, the data would be unintentionally skewed and not reflect the true amount of each area of usage.
2015-12-15
Use props
Skylinewg
lvl.2

United States

FirstFlight Posted at 2015-12-16 01:17
This data is bad for us commercial operators.  It appears that these rigs are being developed for pe ...

That's not what this data is saying. At all. The data is saying that of the people who responded in this forum ore bought it for personal usage.

There are more than a few professional applications for the Inspire 1. I know of them actually but I'm not gonna make it easy for a competitor to find out. That's all I'm gonna say about that.
2015-12-15
Use props
our0borus
lvl.2

United States

Hmm, seems like you left out a few things like "flying over airports" or "creating an army of minions to overthrow the government" or better yet just lump them all under the rubric of "just being a general asshat".
(I say that tongue in cheek but it would be interesting to see how many people would check THAT square off!)
2015-12-15
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

FlyGuy Posted at 2015-12-15 22:58
I think it looks cool just standing on my desk

That is also true!  It looks kind of cool when you enter somebody's office and see a drone on a shelf
2015-12-15
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United States

FirstFlight Posted at 2015-12-15 10:17
This data is bad for us commercial operators.  It appears that these rigs are being developed for pe ...

I agree to a certain extent.  However, IMO the Section 333 exemption and pilot requirements to operate commercially in the US are a huge damper on using UAS for business......legally.  Not to mention the paperwork and other required incidentals.  Not worth the hassle to me and I've been a rated helo/fixed wing pilot for 3+ decades.  

I do realize that I'm preaching to the choir here.  My hat is off to you and others that (presumably) have the 333, etc. and operate commercially.  You are the pioneers.

Perhaps another question or poll could be "How many plan to operate commercially when the FAA pulls their head out of rectal defilade?"

If the final rules (Part 107) reflect what the sUAS NPRM proposes, commercial usage should increase substantially.  I know that I'll will. (The 3 mile visibility requirement is absurd in my opinion!)

Here's a link to the sUAS NPRM summary for those interested.
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_ ... 15_suas_summary.pdf

Note to Some: The above NPRM is for (proposed!) Commercial UAS operations only!  

---------------------------------
For all you hobbyists like me in the US, we (should) operate under Advisory Circular 91-57A in accordance with Section 336 of US Public Law 112-95.

FWIW, I carry a couple copies of AC 91-57A (3 page document) with me when flying.  I've already displayed it to several folks that have questioned me about the rules.  Believe me, it works wonders on those that want to hate.  This, combined with the "Hover" app on my phone that shows my ops being outside the 5 mile ring of airports.

Here's a .pdf link to AC 91-57A for those interested.
    https://www.faa.gov/documentLibr ... cular/AC_91-57A.pdf

Have a good time, fly safe, and do it legally!

2015-12-16
Use props
Prototype
New

United States

Tim,
I do wetland surveys in and around the west coast of Florida USA, when my inspire works? Within 5 months the landing gear had a mfg problem of separation. Warranty fixed it fast compared to most post on here about repairs! Had a mishap with the battery dropping power from over 50% to 3% in a matter of seconds filming a mother alligator and her fresh hatch. I managed to make it to the canal bank with the inspire nose diving into it doing a 180 flip. The Camera bit the turf head on!
I just got a email for repair of $512.00? No complaints on DJI response time of my repairs but when I have a record of a battery dropping from over 50% to 3% in a matter of a couple seconds and getting billed $512 dollars for repairs, I tend to want to paint my inspire lemon YELLOW.
I don't want to hijack this post so for now, I love my P3P as a spare in between inspire visits to the repair shop doing environmental work!
2015-12-16
Use props
ibx
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40938 ft
  • >>>
United States

All of the above
2015-12-16
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Actually three uses. Mapping, Photography, Communications Tower Inspection.
2015-12-17
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

SixtyMike Posted at 2015-12-16 11:58
I agree to a certain extent.  However, IMO the Section 333 exemption and pilot requirements to ope ...

Mike, is the 'Hover" App an IOS App?
2015-12-17
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-12-17 06:28
Mike, is the 'Hover" App an IOS App?

Yes, it is an iOS App.  Free as well.
2015-12-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Something about the drone camera platform attracted me, and after participating in the @DJI First Pilot Experience, I was more than captivated.
It's been an exciting and memorable experience so far, and I only expect it to get better over the next while, for me.

Wish everyone could exprtience this exhilaration... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-12-17
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I have a 150 acre property in the mountains.  I use the Phantom to keep an eye on things.  I am fortunate enough to be near nothing and so can fly pretty much without restrictions.  The well for the house is 1/4 mile away,  and using the P3 allowed me to find a break in the water line without having to trudge along on foot.  I can survey wildlife here without leaving the backyard.  I can explore the depths of Deep Canyon,  but for that I have to hike to the canyons edge.  I can freak people out on the road at night because my house can't be seen from the road.  So when the P3 pops up over a hill with all lights blazing,  I'm sure there are a few who think they  have seen a UFO.  I don't have any neighbors to annoy.  Ultimately,  I plan on trying to take over the world.  Bwahahahaha....
2015-12-17
Use props
slycy
lvl.1

United States

I have about 300 acres in the country to keep an eye on. But, I have flown for some realtor friends for "tips".
2015-12-17
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

SixtyMike Posted at 2015-12-16 08:58
I agree to a certain extent.  However, IMO the Section 333 exemption and pilot requirements to ope ...

SM
Excellent post and thank you for sharing. retired, fixed / helicopter /CFI, agree with what you are saying!!

Rich   

2015-12-17
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-12-17 21:06
SM
Excellent post and thank you for sharing. retired, fixed / helicopter /CFI, agree with what you ...

Thanks Rich!  
2015-12-18
Use props
nrbigbull.googl
New

United Kingdom

Am using mine to take photos of my family as we take our dogs out for walks all over the country
2015-12-18
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Tim,

Most of what I do, besides learning about the P3, is community service.  For example, my biggest coup has been to video a partial collapse of a segment of a rural road in my neighborhood.  The video provides a better experience than any inspection.  The Managing Director for the City and County of Honolulu (a sort of Vice-Mayor) was going to make a site visit, but we sent him the link to the video instead so he could see a lot more than a site visit could offer.  

Since what I do is voluntary, it is not commercial but the exposure has been significant.  The use of the P3 for problem solving is phenomenal.   People are schizo in their love / hate for drones over here.  The P3 work helps with the public relations.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-12-19
Use props
billblevinsjr
New

United States

Hi Tim. I'm CEO of a startup called Plants Map.

I've been flying fixed wing RC's for years. I just purchased a P3. One of our investors has the DJI s1000 that we can use.

I thought I'd learn to fly on the P3 before crashing the expensive aircraft.

I am trying to figure out how to create maps for botanical gardens, arboretums and other landscapes.

I'd like to set boundaries for a mission (around an arboretum for instance) and then fly the mission recording images and stitch them together to create a base map that can be displayed online and also use that base map to identify LAT/LON of specific points on the map (i.e.: trees, plants, etc.). At the bottom of this page is an example of a simple map that we'd like to enhance: http://www.plantsmap.com/organiz ... ical-park-arboretum

I haven't yet figured out the best way to plan a mission pre-flight with the P3. Still working on that.
2015-12-19
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use mine for everything honestly lol.
2015-12-19
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

billblevinsjr Posted at 2015-12-19 22:23
Hi Tim. I'm CEO of a startup called Plants Map.

I've been flying fixed wing RC's for years. I just ...

With P3 you can use the Pix4d software for map making , a lot of folks are pretty satisfied with it
2015-12-20
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>
United States

Paper weight
2015-12-21
Use props
Live Fast Fly H
lvl.2

United States

Every application imaginable!!Really curious on the xt release.
2015-12-22
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

2 in most
1 the second
3 as hobby
4 and 5 from time to time

6 - i dont care what someone else have under the cover.
2015-12-22
Use props
grahampinnell
New

United Kingdom

I haven't seen my Phantom 3 Advanced drone for weeks as it went back to DJI with problems, and they have not even replied to my emails asking where it is.

I use it for the peace of mind knowing that I could have spent that money on something else, like drugs, which would help pass the time waiting for RMA 151028N43-PH0584

You know it's a Phantom 3 when your 12 month warranty spends two of those months on holiday in the Netherlands
2015-12-23
Use props
koine777
lvl.2

United States

Getting laid.
2015-12-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yeah, getting lucky, with it, hahaha.
Nothing better, than a drone in the morning, noon or evening time...

RedHotPoker
2015-12-23
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-12-24 07:17
Nothing better, than a drone in the morning, noon or evening t ...

hhaha, totally!
2015-12-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-12-24 10:17
Nothing better, than a drone in the morning, noon or evening t ...

Yeuck! Thanks for that, now I have a completely different mental picture of Cetaman's signature 'Drone On'!
2015-12-23
Use props
JonE5
lvl.1

United States

What about just flying for fun?
2015-12-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, that too, hahaha

RedHotPoker
2015-12-23
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2015-12-18 05:04
I have a 150 acre property in the mountains.  I use the Phantom to keep an eye on things.  I am fort ...

Kneepuck,
How is your GPS signal strength in the mountains?  I live near Banff Canada and would like to fly there but I'm not sure how GPS will be.  The valleys are quite wide and I'd be mostly flying in those valleys if possible.  Thought I'd see what others have experience before I head up there.
2015-12-31
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

According to healthydrones.com,  my gps signal is always in the good range.  Unobstructed sky, but I am in Southern California.  I don't know if the latitude makes much different.
2015-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules