Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo clips don't join up
2845 18 2015-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
signstudio
New

United Kingdom

Ive recorded a number of events with the Osmo, a ballet class, 2 bands etc and needed to run the recording over 30 minutes as it was camera 3. During editing I can then do a multicam edit with this and 2 others. The Osmo cuts the recording into clips which is fine, however I've noticed the joins are not seamless when placed onto the timeline. Its difficult to gauge at the moment but I'd say there is a second lost across the join.

Anybody else have this issue? I have written to DJI over this who have advised not to shoot for too long! This is a big flaw in the Osmo as its expected people will want to use it as a video camera and therefore record lengthy clips. The big point is that of you shoot in 4K, you'll only get maybe 5-8 minutes before the Osmo initiates a cut and you'll be left with a jump across the cut.

I don't think this is widely known and wonder how people feel about this?

Any other similar experiences welcome!

Dean

2015-12-18
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, Osmo will cut the file if it exceeds 4G, the 4G split mechanism is designed to avoid the file damage risk. For FAT32 format SD card, it can support 4G size for single file at most. Files larger than 4G can't be saved in the SD card. For ExFAT, the corrupted probability of file larger than 4G can be very high, so we design this mechanism in order to protect the data. Because once the file is corrupted, the whole work is unusable any more. Yes, this mechanism is not perfect right now since it might loose a few data frames when splitting the files. I will report your need to the corresponding engineers. The current solution is to estimate the shooting time and stop before the split.
2015-12-18
Use props
EXPO
lvl.1

United States

you are better with offloading your .mp4 / .mov files into the gopro studio sofware and moving on from there. I've had zero issues with editing
2015-12-18
Use props
ianwarsenault
lvl.1

United States

Ran a test with this the other day and I also experienced a few frames missing between files.
2015-12-19
Use props
signstudio
New

United Kingdom

I recorded audio separate on a test record so I had some way of checking how much was being lost. Once I'd synced up the clips to the clean audio it showed there was about 1.5 seconds of video missing from each join. Thats really bad.
2015-12-20
Use props
signstudio
New

United Kingdom

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-19 01:54
Hi, Osmo will cut the file if it exceeds 4G, the 4G split mechanism is designed to avoid the file da ...

The cut made by the Osmo leaves about 1.5 second gap between clips which is huge. I recorded clean audio separate and synced the video clips to it, in order to see how much video is actually missing. This is a really bad issue since video needs the ability to record long takes. This issue if widely known would give potential buyers second thoughts about this unit.

My GH4 also cuts the recording but the clips are seamless when played back. I hope you can fix this problem in a future firmware upgrade.
2015-12-20
Use props
martin94b
lvl.4
Germany

signstudio Posted at 2015-12-20 12:06
The cut made by the Osmo leaves about 1.5 second gap between clips which is huge. I recorded clean ...

This issue if widely known would give potential buyers second thoughts about this unit.

Not only this issue - there are many many more and so far DJI is doing... nothing but putting the Osmo customers down. Currently DJI ruins its reputation with the unusable Osmo ;-(
2015-12-20
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

signstudio Posted at 2015-12-20 19:06
The cut made by the Osmo leaves about 1.5 second gap between clips which is huge. I recorded clean ...

Thanks for your feedback, I will report this issue to the engineers.
2015-12-20
Use props
EXPO
lvl.1

United States

signstudio Posted at 2015-12-20 05:00
I recorded audio separate on a test record so I had some way of checking how much was being lost. On ...

what resolution are you shooting in?
2015-12-21
Use props
signstudio
New

United Kingdom

I've experimented with a few resolutions - 1920 * 1080 50mbs as well as the 4k setting. Even tried it in NTSC. They all do the same thing - the clips that make up a single recording always jump across the join. Its difficult to determine how big the join is until you do a separate audio recording and sync them up on the timeline. When you do that, the gap is about 1.5 seconds. Its a big problem which they will resolve in future firmware upgrades
2015-12-22
Use props
jim269
lvl.1

United States

This is absolutely unacceptable to anyone using this unit in a professional manner. Your poor design has screwed up a paying job for me that was a one time, live affair and cannot be replicated. I see these last posts were made in December and now it's 6 months later with no resolution?

I will not be buying any more DJI products unless I can be positively reassured that none of these basic problems are present.
2016-5-30
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

jim269 Posted at 2016-5-30 23:33
This is absolutely unacceptable to anyone using this unit in a professional manner. Your poor design ...

Hello.
Thanks for your concern.

If there's any update, we'll let you know in time.
Your continuous support will be highly appreciated.
2016-5-30
Use props
LenMiddx
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-31 05:24
Hello.
Thanks for your concern.

Well, Adela, could you pick up your phone and ask the nice folks in Marketing or whatever, when this well-known fault is scheduled for rectification?

It doesn't bother me so much, as I'm probably never going to need more than 6 minutes of continuous recording -- but clearly there are people out there who are buying the Osmo with continuous recording in mind, and for whom losing 1.5 seconds every few minutes is not acceptable.

2016-5-31
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-5-31 17:54
Well, Adela, could you pick up your phone and ask the nice folks in Marketing or whatever, when th ...

Hi,
To be frank, the issue is determined not only by the software technology but also by the limitation of the hardware. If it can be improved thru the software programming simply, we would like to fix it as much as we can. In my view, things are always related to and influence each other, we need to take serious consideration and it takes time to improve.
I'm sorry I don't get any available update on this issue right now.

Thanks for your concern and your support.
2016-5-31
Use props
LenMiddx
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-31 11:17
Hi,
To be frank, the issue is determined not only by the software technology but also by the limit ...

Yes indeed, and if there was a solution I'm sure that it would have been implemented before the camera was released.

If it turns out that there is a firmware solution that would reduce the number of dropped frames, I'm sure that people will find that helpful. Otherwise, I guess that for those who really need continuous recording, they'll have to wait for Osmo II.
2016-5-31
Use props
jim269
lvl.1

United States

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-5-31 11:38
Yes indeed, and if there was a solution I'm sure that it would have been implemented before the ca ...

You can be sure I won't be buying OSMO II if they don't fix OSMO I.....
2016-6-1
Use props
J30j1xlsvP5G
New

Hong Kong

osmo+ just released, but the lost frame problem still exist...why dji knows the problem but still selling the defect camera to the public?
2017-2-8
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Adela & DJI-Amy - First let me say I love a lot of things about the OSMO+.  It is an amazing little camera with truly unique capabilities (I'm a professional filmmaker with 25+ years of experience).  That said, the OSMO and your company's marketing and support for your product(s) is exasperating in a multitude of ways.  

There are simple fundamental things you guys seem to fail to understand.  In regards to the file bridging problem, the loss is _seconds_ of footage, not a few frames.  ANY break is difficult and cumbersome to cope with and in a professional situation completely unacceptable.

There are dozens of other camera manufacturers that also do 4G file bridging/chaptering but don't have several seconds of missing footage between chapters. Their files all join together in editing nice and tidy and our expectation is that OSMO files would be the same.  Sometimes my OSMO files have different exposure and color balance when bridging from clip to clip which in my opinion is unconscionable.  This just seems sloppy on what is otherwise and a very clever and technically sophisticated product.

The 30 min auto-stop record limit of the camera is also a massive problem for those of us doing longer form recording and it defies explanation (other than the Euro tax issue for Video vs Still camera).  DJI's "to protect the quality of the video" justification for that 30min record limit is just completely ridiculous and insulting to your customer's intelligence.  If it's a camera overheating issue with longer record times (which is totally understandable but I doubt the issue) then say that.  If it's a hardware issue (without a software solution) with not being able to buffer enough video to bridge the gaps and create longer files (which I suspect is the issue) than say that.

Since this camera was originally developed for drone use where these time limitations either didn't matter or weren't very important it's a somewhat understandable handicap in the product.  But handheld ground use of a camera is a different application with different needs.  It requires more than just slapping a new name on the old product and calling it good.

For your customers, it's all about expectations..  The record limit of this camera is actually under 14mins (under 8mins in 4K).  You sell it (deep in the fine print somewhere when I purchased) as having a 30min record capability which isn't really true.

Obfuscations and nonsensical justifications for product limitations make your customers feel insulted.  The anger you see expressed above and on other forums is because customers purchased your product thinking it was one thing and in actual use it's another.  If the OSMO+ is a "toy" that can record 8mins of video of 4K at a go then that's ok.  It is an awesome toy but you're marketing it as a tool for use by professionals and high-end hobbyists .... and saying it has a 30min capability.  Not surprising that people are angry and trashing the company when it turns out they were sold a bill of goods.

The OSMO+ is so close to being great. I really want it to be great. Your other customers all really want it to be great. DJI needs to want it too be great too and put in the work to make it so, because honestly, right now it's just an expensive toy.
2017-2-10
Use props
Glen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 572454 ft
United Kingdom

BIG PROBLEM STILL EXISTS DOES NOT RECORD FOR 30 MINS! BIG GAPS BETWEEN CLIPS OF 1.5 SECONDS
2018-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules