Jerky video from SD and grainy from phone device
1675 10 2015-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
roofman
lvl.1

United States

When I playback video from the camera SD card (after downloading on PC) it looks very clear but constantly jerks and shakes terribly.  When I download it from my phone device and play the same video that P3 sent down to my phone, the video is nice and smooth but terribly grainy and crappy looking.  What's wrong or what is the cure?
2015-12-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The copy on the phone is not guaranteed to be good quality, it is the downscaled video used for the display on your phone. It is not intended for use as such.

The video from the SD card should be fine though. Can you please say what model aircraft you have and what your video format is. Also, it would help us help you if you post a clip to the video.

2015-12-19
Use props
cacollins0220
lvl.2
Flight distance : 294016 ft
United States

also important to know if your gimbal is making any strange noises. mine was messed up and gave me shaky video.

the fix for that was tighten the set screw at the top of the gimbal
2015-12-19
Use props
Othan1
lvl.2

United States

I always copy to my PC before I attempt to watch the video.  If I watch in VLC with subtitles on, it will be jerky and annoying.  I now put my subtitle files in another folder before I watch or edit the video.  They're plain text anyway so I can see for myself the data.

2015-12-19
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Make sure your SD card is fast enough. Or you will get frame drops resulting in choppyness.  Try another card just to make sure
2015-12-20
Use props
RickAZ
lvl.1

United States

What resolution are you shooting your video?
You might try watching the video on another computer.
2015-12-20
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

I'm with Rick. I tried to watch my first 4K video from my P3P on my PC and was really hacked until I realized that my PC simply can't play a 4K video. It does not have enough memory or a fast enough video card.

Barney
2015-12-20
Use props
roofman
lvl.1

United States

I'm using the default setting, whet ever that is. I'd have to fire it up and look.  I'm also using the SD card that came with it so you think it would work right.  I have the P3 model.  It has 2.7K video and not the 4K.  Even a short video is a lot of mega bites.  Does this forum accept such large files for me to post a sample?
2015-12-20
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Could you please upload the sample to youtube and post th link here ?
2015-12-20
Use props
C_LUU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 481988 ft
Australia

roofman Posted at 2015-12-21 02:50
I'm using the default setting, whet ever that is. I'd have to fire it up and look.  I'm also using t ...

Try recording in 1080p 30fps and see if you can successfully play that back on your computer;

2 solutions

1. Micro SD Card - standard cards wont cutt it, you need iether of the 2 highest rated read/write cards being the Lexar or the Sandisk Gold cards

2. Your computer may be unable to cope with the extra bitrate that 4k requires to play smoothly (common) most computers today are not built to edit or even play 4k video - (try my suggestion above to determine this, if you can play 1080p at 30fps with no problem, then this is your issue.
2015-12-20
Use props
roofman
lvl.1

United States

So one thing I noticed is that the videos from the SD card are MOV files, whereas the shrunken versions saved to my phone were MP4s.

I tried the videos in all 3 of my PCs. Two with Win 7 and one with 8.  Both play on my laptop with 7 but poorly as described above.  My desktop with WIN 7 would only play the grainy MP4 and said I needed to download or install a codec to uncompress the video, and my other newer laptop with WIN 8 would only play the MOV file and not the low quality MP4, but YES, it played it just fine and looked great.  

I'm surmising it is a processor issue to play the quality video taken off the SD card being that it played well on the newer PC?  

2)  If I drop down to the 1080 I assume they might play on all PCs?   

3)  Sounds like I could reset the camera to shoot videos in 1080, would they then be much smaller files than the 2.7K videos from the Phantom 3 now?  

4)  Would 1080 files be able to be sent to my clients via email?  And would they be more likely able to watch them on their computers?

5)  If I uploaded a video to Facebook or Youtube, what video size do you recommend?  Don't they auto-downsize them anyway.  Would a large file take forever to upload?
2015-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules