phantom 3 pro motors won't start
5302 10 2015-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
amk12378
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi guys, i am new to this world,

i got my phantom 3 pro yesterday, i set up the app also uptade the firmware on the aircraft and on the rc, i activated on the app. every time i try to start it at home it it's asking for compass error calibration required, can i not just start the motor without the calibration??
2015-12-20
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it tells you that, then you definitely don't want to fly without calibrating. Since you just did the update, I would do a cold IMU calibration first, but then definitely do the compass calibration.
2015-12-20
Use props
amk12378
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Jkeller84 Posted at 2015-12-20 21:52
If it tells you that, then you definitely don't want to fly without calibrating. Since you just did  ...

thank you jkeller48, so is that mean I will never be able to turn it on at home??
2015-12-20
Use props
amk12378
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Jkeller84 Posted at 2015-12-20 21:52
If it tells you that, then you definitely don't want to fly without calibrating. Since you just did  ...

also the compass calibration does not work at home at all
2015-12-20
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

amk12378 Posted at 2015-12-20 20:01
thank you jkeller48, so is that mean I will never be able to turn it on at home??

No, just do a calibration. It is really easy to do. Touch the calibrate button and follow the directions. When it is complete, go into the sensor settings and make sure the compass MOD value is about 1400
2015-12-20
Use props
amk12378
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Jkeller84 Posted at 2015-12-21 01:05
No, just do a calibration. It is really easy to do. Touch the calibrate button and follow the dire ...

thanks, will try to do it tomorrow. thanks for your help
2015-12-20
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

amk12378 Posted at 2015-12-20 20:02
also the compass calibration does not work at home at all

To do the compass calibration, get outside and get away from every metal source you're aware of. As crazy as it might sound, belt buckles, cell phones - obviously a car/truck - the compass is apparently *very* sensitive.

Once you have a valid compass calibration you should probably also calibrate the IMU (look under "SENSORS" in the GO app. Unless you travel a significant distance away from where you made your compass calibration, you should be fine.

For most everyone in the world, there is a difference between true north and magnetic north. If you happen to be perfectly "lined up" with magnetic north and true north, there will be no compass "deviation." I live in Florida and the average deviation is approximately 5-degrees. A compass calibration, coupled with GPS satellite information, helps your Phantom identify pretty much *exactly* where you are. The GPS system identifies exactly where you are - the compass helps you to maneuver properly and "aids" the GPS system.

Hope that info helps. (Maybe overkill - my apologies if you already understood all this.)

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-12-20
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

amk12378 Posted at 2015-12-20 20:55
thanks, will try to do it tomorrow. thanks for your help

I forgot to add something....

Since you own the Professional version of the Phantom, you *can* fly without GPS - you can even fly without the GO app, but if you do so, you'll essentially be flying "blind," i.e., there won't be any video feedback via your camera. You can still shoot video and take photos, but, since you'll have no other feedback to assist you, you'll have to be pretty close to your subject(s). You'll need to be close enough to identify the orientation of your Phantom - You'll be guessing a lot about what your camera is actually able to see.

Hope that makes sense.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-12-20
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Please try compass calibration and fly the aircraft in open area . It's very dangerous for the aircraft to fly  disregarding the compass error .
2015-12-20
Use props
amk12378
lvl.1

United Kingdom

thank you guys, that really help me a lot. will go outside today and try in open air, I live in London so will be hard for me to find somewhere safe to fly.
2015-12-21
Use props
amk12378
lvl.1

United Kingdom

heloo everyone, I took my phantom 3 pro outside today, all went well. I found that i won't be able to start it at home because of the  compass calibration. it's really a good experience. thank you all
2015-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules