Carrying Capacity of the Phantom 2 (with Prop Guards)?
4427 4 2014-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
guymacdonald
lvl.4

Australia

This extract from the Phantom 2 with Gimble manual has me thinking...

(5) When used with a H3-3D gimbal, a GoPro camera, and the iOSD mini, your Phantom 2 will be very close to its maximum takeoff weight. It is not recommended that you attach the Phantom 2 propeller guards at this weight. Otherwise, the aircraft will be unable to fly normally.

What I am trying to find out is, can the Phantom 2 carry the following safely (with and or without prop guards)?

the Ground Station Data Link (which I have already)
the GoPro and Gimble (which I have already)
the FPV Transmitter (want to get)
the iOSD or iOSDmini (want to get either)

Regards

Guy MacDonald

2014-12-28
Use props
michael.haws
lvl.2

United States

I have a similar set up and found that the prop guards put the phantom at max weight.   My phantom would try to land itself at random times due to the excessive weight.     Part of my problem lies in the fact that I live at 5700 ft elevation and the air is just thin enough to cause the phantom to struggle to carry all that weight.    The solution to my problem was to replace the original motors, esc and props with the new 2312 motors and ESC and 9450 props for the additional thrust.     Worked like a charm after that.    Folks at lower altitudes may not need to upgrade but I sure did.
2014-12-28
Use props
momochi
lvl.2

United States

Hi Guy,
There have been many pilots that have attached different items to their aircraft and have flown them without any issues. The 'maximum takeoff weight" for any aircraft is the tested design weight for which the aircraft still maintains controllability and inherit stability. That does not mean the aircraft will not carry more weight. What it means is, after you have overloaded beyond that recommended weight, you are affecting the aircrafts inherit stability, the center of balance, possibly exceeding the control limits for overcoming any external forces applied to the aircraft in flight (strong wind gust) and of course the extra weight does decrease flight time and performance. Do to the ease of flight designed into the Phantom by DJI, many people forget the fact that this is an aircraft and as such it follows all the laws of aerodynamics. Weight = thrust + lift. As in rotorcraft, the lift is generated by the props unlike fixed wing aircraft that receive their lift from the wings. Basicly it means, add more stuff, use more battery power and motor power. Decrease performance and reliability. I would recommend NOG using the props guards at all since they DO effect the prop downwash. Also they are not needed for normal flight.
Happy flying and let us know how things work out.
2014-12-28
Use props
markus
lvl.4

Germany

Hey there,

My quad weighs 1350g. I have a H3-3D Gimbal, GoPro 3+, Immersion transmitter, iOSD mini and a GPS tracker. Flies perfectly. I never tried those prop guards because they do tend to create propwash in so many cases and crash the Phantom + I doubt that they would prevent any damage to the props on a crash anyway.
2014-12-28
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

I found that my bird didn't like this attachment.

albania 003.jpg
2014-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules