Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Where is Everyone Displaying their FAA Number?
19649 21 2015-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KittenSwagger
lvl.1

United States

I just registered my drone, which was a lot easier than I thought it would be...and still confused why they didn't ask me WHAT I was registering..anyway...

I am a little confused by where I am suppose to display this number. I can write it on a peice of tap and put it IN the battery compartment? What would be the point of this?

Other than that, just made this thread to see where everyone is playing on putting thier numbers? Pictures would be cool.
2015-12-21
Use props
msoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460522 ft
United States

FAA wants you to display the number on the aircraft as large as possible. You can write the number with a sharpie or have someone make vinyl  numbers that you to stick on. Also, place the numbers on the batteries. As long as the numbers don't come off you should be good with whatever method you use. I was thinking of having a custom skin made with the number on it along with my logo or a picture. I think you can be creative.
2015-12-21
Use props
aburkefl
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

msoto Posted at 2015-12-21 20:27
FAA wants you to display the number on the aircraft as large as possible. You can write the number w ...

"Also, place the numbers on the batteries"

Really? Additionally, the rules don't state what size the numbers must be on your craft. Even someone with really sharp eyes (and/or binoculars) is going to play the dickens seeing the number while your quad is in flight. The number is probably only truly important "after the fact" - at which point the number will be a lot easier to read.

I've got a little Brother label-maker machine I've had for several years. Using the smallest print I can generate, I was able to affix my label just above the battery compartment of my P3P.
2015-12-21
Use props
mtauber227
lvl.1

United States

FAA says it can be displayed on the inside of the aircraft, as long as it's accessible without the use of tools.  I'm putting a label inside the battery compartment.
2015-12-21
Use props
msoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460522 ft
United States

You're right. "The number is probably only truly important "after the fact". I have applied for the 333 exemption and it states the following:

"All aircraft operated in accordance with this exemption must be identified by serial number, registered in accordance with 14 CFR part 47, and have identification (N−Number) markings in accordance with 14 CFR part 45, Subpart C. Markings must be as large as practicable."

Maybe this does not apply to the recreational/hobbyist pilots. The reason I said batteries was I seen others write their numbers on them too and if a battery does come out of its compartment. It can be returned to its rightful owner.
2015-12-21
Use props
mtauber227
lvl.1

United States

After I registered; here is the guidance from the FAA:

You MUST mark any and all aircraft with your number before you operate them.

The number must be visible without using tools. You may mark it inside the battery compartment if that is accessible. You may use any method to affix the number that ensures it remains visible, including permanent marker, label, or engraving.

To operate as a hobbyist, you must operate according to the safety guidance you have acknowledged and in accordance with a community based set of safety guidance. For further information on the safety guidance visit faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/
2015-12-21
Use props
Ithacus
lvl.1

United States

On the top so that the government can track me by satellite as well.
2015-12-21
Use props
carloss66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 288671 ft
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-12-21 20:13
I've got a little Brother label-maker machine I've had for several years. Using the smallest print I can generate, I was able to affix my label just above the battery compartment of my P3P.

I did exactly the same thing with a Brother label printer.
2015-12-21
Use props
aburkefl
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

msoto Posted at 2015-12-21 21:33
You're right. "The number is probably only truly important "after the fact". I have applied for the  ...

I didn't read the part about 333 exemptions - you must be absolutely correct. A friend of mine owns two planes (real ones) and his tail numbers are sufficiently large enough to take up *all* the space on the tail.

Despite some of the heated objections, complaints, etc., I think it could be much worse. There were doomsayers predicting we would ultimately need a pilot's license even to fly these things recreationally. I was definitely against that.

As for the "rules" that accompany the registration info - looks to me like they're mostly common-sense anyway.
2015-12-22
Use props
scottdrmyers
lvl.1

Canada

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2015-12-21 22:00
I'm not., because I'm not going to register.

You've said it enough, no one cares what you do anymore.
2015-12-22
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's true that N numbers must be displayed as large as possible on the exterior of the shell. The new UAS registration number just needs to be readable and somewhere that can be easily located upon close inspection. Here are two places inside of the battery compartment that'll work well:

If anyone needs labels, I'll print you some for free (just pay for shipping). See more details here.
2015-12-22
Use props
Skooter
lvl.1

United States

I applaud Flyin'Bryan's resolve to not register. He is right. He can do and say as he chooses. But here's my take...
First, as a pilot I get frequent emails from the FAA... Air Worthiness Directives, Advisory Circulars, an occasional notification of change in regulations, etc. No big deal. It's all about passing along information.
I have experienced a few close calls. Not from pilots doing anything wrong intentionally, but due to distractions. Pilots go though a lot of training so I can't say deviations are due to ignorance. However, we now have a lot of "pilots" flying drones in the airspace system that are ignorant because they haven't made the effort to educate themselves. If I was flying and someone flew their drone into me, assuming I survived, I sure as hell would want them held accountable.
Second, not registering could result in a $27,000 fine. If your neighbor called 911 because he thought you were spying on his 18 year old daughter and the local authorities showed up at your house, you can bet the first thing they would look for is the registration number. You don't necessarily need to do anything wrong to get busted. And, god forbid, you had an incident where your drone crashed into someone or something, there would most likely be an investigation. No registration number could result in a $250,000 fine and/or 3 years in jail. On top of that, a violation of a federal law is a felony. Are you willing to risk never being able to vote or own a firearm for the rest of you life to not register? Not me. I am not really in favor of registration either, but the consequences of not doing so are greater than I am willing to accept. Good luck Flyin'Bryan. Keep on keepin' on!
2015-12-22
Use props
billcroom32
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3245 ft
United States

You are registering yourself as a drone owner.  The number you affix to you drone can be moved to another unit
2015-12-22
Use props
StillnMotion
New
United States

I used the Brother P touch and its stickered on the inside battery bay of my mavic and on the rear right arm of the drone
2017-5-2
Use props
StillnMotion
New
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-12-21 18:13
"Also, place the numbers on the batteries"

Really? Additionally, the rules don't state what size the numbers must be on your craft. Even someone with really sharp eyes (and/or binoculars) is going to play the dickens seeing the number while your quad is in flight. The number is probably only truly important "after the fact" - at which point the number will be a lot easier to read.

ON my batteries I just have my cell #
2017-5-2
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

On batteries. FAA# and Phone number.
xxxgj.jpg
2017-5-2
Use props
deplorable
lvl.1
Flight distance : 728491 ft
United States

I used a label maker and just stuck it on the top, right next to the label with Reward if Found Call xxx-xxx-xxxx.
2017-5-2
Use props
JasonBo
New

United States

FAA REGISTRATION STICKER BUNDLE
https://www.slickwraps.com/bundl ... obbyist-pilots.html
Click here

Outdoor / Indoor
Laminated & UV-rated to resist fading
Water resistant
Durable & scratch resistant with a matte finish
Easy to apply with residue free removal (if you ever need to remove them, they’ll come off clean)
Customized with your FAA number as well as phone number in case of loss
2018-2-8
Use props
RicardoGray
Captain
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I wasn't aware of any specifics as to the size either. I have mine located on my landing gear. Printed it out and put a piece of clear tape over it. Yeah, it is small, but you can see it.
2018-2-8
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

Brother P-Touch, 3/4” clear tape with white lettering on top of Obsidian P4P. Two labels. One has “FAA UAS Registration” and the number on the second line. The other has my name and cell number with “Reward if found”

Jeff
BTW, has anyone visited FlyinBryan at Leavenworth recently?
2018-2-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I did mine like RicardoGray but put it on the battery compartment's interior starboard bulkhead.
2018-2-8
Use props
SkyBug2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 487566 ft
United States

Label maker here too
2018-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules