Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
If you have experienced a fly away / crash similar to this Please paste Thread
12Next >
7078 61 2014-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
guymacdonald
Second Officer

Australia

The problem here is there will malfunctions with anything man made but how it is dealt with when it happens (customer support) and the understanding that it can happen to anybody by others on this forum is what is required.

I have had a faultless run so far but understand it could happen to me at any time because these things are not perfect but alas DJI don't seem to do much to persuade us they are doing their best to fix the faults or even care.

To me it seems DJI are prepared to accept the few (by comparison) negative comments because they are in the minority but that is not the point. The point is they are making a lot of money and can afford to stand by their product and compensate the few that fall foul of this not completely perfect technology. The argument they use is try and belittle someone who does not accept the magority view by insuating they are unrealistic to expect zero faults. I don't expect zero faults but I do expect a "fair go".

I would like to see this forum support the users and constructively lobby DJI to do the right thing rather than attack the individual (who has had a mishap) with the school yard bully approach. Having said that I do understand there will be some pilot error and those who have made an error surely can to be persuaded they have made a mistake without a lack of compassion.

Yug
2014-12-28
Use props
Paras
lvl.1

Spain

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3666&extra=page%3D1&lang=en
2014-12-28
Use props
christopher.p.s
lvl.1

United States

What version are the others that aren't listed as V3? Looks like 2 out of the 5 are V3, wondering about the others,,,,,
2014-12-29
Use props
johnwarr
Captain
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Link 3 and 5 are the same persons story.
2014-12-29
Use props
j.blankvoort

Netherlands

2014-12-29 01:36
Today my Phantom Vision 2 + crashed.
I was normally flying it, in nice weather (bit cold, but sunny and no wind)
At about 50% battery level I wanted to descent (Phantom was right above me, at about 200 meter hight)
When descending to about 150 meter, suddenly the Phantom seemed to fall over and was not controllable anymore.
It crashed about 20 meters away from me, completely damaged ....
Camera broken, connectors on the main board broken or bent, 1 motor bent, over broken)

The Phantom has cost me about € 1000.- , there will probably no way to get some kind of warranty on this?
I didn't do anything wrong, seems that the Phantom is not reliable .

So far, I have enjoyed flying it, and made some nice pictures.
But I don't understand how it is possible that it completely loses control.
Some of my friends were considering buying a DJI Phantom as well, but now I will advice them not to....
2015-1-4
Use props
lcarpenter
lvl.1

United States

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... %2Baway&lang=en
2015-1-8
Use props
lcarpenter
lvl.1

United States

http://www.droneflyers.com/2014/ ... m-fly-away-crashes/

I found this on another post and think its worth repeating....not my story...as far as I know and hope to hear back from DJI soon....
2015-1-8
Use props
lcarpenter
lvl.1

United States

2015-1-8
Use props
lcarpenter
lvl.1

United States

2015-1-8
Use props
lcarpenter
lvl.1

United States

2015-1-8
Use props
lcarpenter
lvl.1

United States

Still collecting these....
2015-1-8
Use props
lcarpenter
lvl.1

United States

2015-1-8
Use props
lcarpenter
lvl.1

United States

Okay last one that seemed to make sense...there were a few others but for they we're trying to solve issues more ranting than issues ...so I ignored them.
2015-1-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

lcarpenter@7q10 Posted at 2015-1-9 15:48
Okay last one that seemed to make sense...there were a few others but for they we're trying to solve ...

So a year old story with multiple upgrades and hardly any facts makes sense as something DJI is going to learn from?

We all desire a quad which is as reliable as it can be made, but the constant "polling" of 20 people - out of tens of thousands - who had "flyaways" (many of them are clearly - by their own descriptions - their own fault) is of absolutely no use to DJI or anyone else.

The terms is thrown around too generally. A year old Phantom that someone loses could be due to many various things...DJI probably even fixed many of them (GPS shielding, for example), while a recent V3.0 completely unexplained burnout is quite another thing.

I guess I should stop trying to inject reason into internet forums....

I'll go back to reading about guys (on this forum) who set their home point and then put the Phantom in the car and drive a couple miles and then let it loose to "go home". Next week, that dude will probably be complaining about the "DJI Defects"....

I really do scratch my head at the risks many people take with a hobby grade machine. DJI's biggest mistake is not making people sign a waiver and not cautioning them more about flying over water and the risks involved in any flight.

Carry on....
2015-1-9
Use props
markus2015
Second Officer

Germany

Also, all those hundreds of phantom pilots with no issues won't find their way to this forum and say: Hey all is good, love this bird. That would be like patients going to see a doc saying "Hey, I feel so damn healthy". So it's almost impossible to tell if there are really huge problems with the Phantom series. I don't think so. Like you said, most are pilot errors.
2015-1-9
Use props
peyperj.yahoo
lvl.1

South Africa

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... tid=6306&extra=
2015-1-30
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

guymacdonald@ip Posted at 2015-1-10 06:20
Hopefully we can learn from their mistakes.

I have not had a problem myself but keep an open mind  ...

Guy,

This is a very useful thread. But I have never seen it before till now when you posted the link.

Cheers
2015-2-6
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

guymacdonald@ip Posted at 2015-1-10 06:20
Hopefully we can learn from their mistakes.

I have not had a problem myself but keep an open mind  ...

Here is another that looks firmware update related.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en

Cheers
2015-2-6
Use props
craig_fryer
New

United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 2015-2-6 19:48
Here is another that looks firmware update related.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread ...

Brand new Phantom 2 H4-3D

My three week old phantom has just crashed yesterday and smashed all the gimbal and gopro up , I reported to the shop I purchased it from the day I received it that it was glitching yards in front of me , I was told to fly it again and to get someone to film it to prove my point , while I was waiting for better weather I discharged my battery and left the software plugged into the phantom and I noticed it flashed up a few times non genuine intelligent battery , I presumed this was a software bug now I am unsure , anyway I contacted the shop again only to be told there have never heard of such problems I have been having and they will need to contact there DJI account manager , I feel very let down by the lack of service. a week later battery cycle no 2 and the weather is better I fly the quad after doing all the checks and calibrations etc then a couple of mins into my flight the phantom goes full power straight into the ground .  

2015-3-9
Use props
chipscarpenter
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5689 ft
United Kingdom

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... =fly%2Baway&lang=en

Link to my fly away
2015-3-9
Use props
b1kcook
New

United States

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... eid%3D1&lang=en (Phanton 2 Vision Flew Away in come home mode)
2015-3-10
Use props
romain.peigney
New

France

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en

I believe this does fit in.
2015-4-7
Use props
chris
New
Canada

Complete random loss of power, resulting in crash.   Phantom 2 v2, brand new device, under 10 flights so far...  see VIDEO below.  

No problem flying until it clearly loses power.  In the video you can hear the motors go silent... and the gimble is swinging around so you can see the lights are completely off...  then just before it hits the ground it gets power back... but it is too late to do anything.  

2015-4-21
Use props
gerd
New

United Kingdom

I bought a drone 10 months ago, a phantom vision 2+.

I have never had a crash, always made proper checks, never flew without at least 7 satellites locked to drone.

A few weeks back I took it to the countryside, persomed all safety checks, full batteries, batteries fully installed and checked for security.  
I lifted the drone up to about 30 feet, it hoverd for about ten seconds before crazy red lights started to appear, then the motors stopped suddenly and the drone smashed to the ground a few meters away.

I told the dealer about this, he said he 'hooked it up' to a diagnostics machine and found no fault, but that he's send it to DJI UK service centre for diagnostics.

DJI basically accused me of deliberately crashing this drone myself as they found it flew well.  They also accused me of trying to stick a crewdriver into the battery, which incidentally came flying out of the drone upon impact on hard ground.

The camera is totally snapped off the drone rendering it useless.

They told me it willl cost £500 to fix.

Where do I stand given that it is still under warranty and i did not cause this crash?
2015-4-21
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Guy,

I really not sure what you are trying to accomplish here.  You say that you want to make DJI aware of the issues.  You think that we are not?  Most of the posts do not contain enough information to come to any conclusion.  I appreciate the effort but you are not going to get to your desired result.  The best path for these users is to contact DJI and if necessary get an RMA for repair.  
2015-4-21
Use props
Raybro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-22 02:19
Guy,

I really not sure what you are trying to accomplish here.  You say that you want to make DJI a ...

We could start with:
Why does this happen in the first place? It's not only the cost of these things but the safety factor as well. Why do props come off in flight? Why does the Phantom lose power and drop out of the sky? Why does it all of a sudden take off never to be seen again?
What are the engineers saying about these issues?  
Offer us some facts and opinions. Don't criticize the members on the forum for trying to find answers.  
2015-4-21
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Ok, props come off in flight because users don't tighten them down.  I fly more than most and have never had a prop come off.  There may be number of reasons that a Phantom falls from the sky from a bad battery cell to an over discharged battery.  Asking the why is easy, providing the facts that leads to the why is hard.  That is why most users of high end gear have flight data recorders that can tell us the why.  I had a user that had an S1000 "just fall out of the sky", about $8k lost.  However, when we analyzed his flight data, he took off at 20v on a 6S pack and while in the air the pack voltage dropped to 5v and the craft crashed.  It was his battery and his choice to fly at that voltage.  His response, you should not have allowed me to take off.   I understand that the Phantoms do not have flight data recorders that is why our technicians rely on the evidence in front of them to tell the tail.  We can check batteries as easily as you can in Assistant.  I am not saying that all crashes are user errors but the vast majority are if users were honest with themselves.  We have made it too easy for some to charge a battery and go out and fly without any knowledge at all.  No one forced them to make the purchase.  I normally do some research before I make a major buy but most do not when it comes to drones.
2015-4-21
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Yug Posted at 2015-4-22 06:04
"I appreciate the effort....."

It does not sound like it to me.

Yug,

That is not true.  Have I had complaints about this thread, yes.  Some to not see the point.  I did not delete it or any posts in it.  I chose to respond.  If you disagree with me that is fine just be respectful.  I have done no less.
2015-4-21
Use props
Raybro
Second Officer
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-22 08:35
Ok, props come off in flight because users don't tighten them down.  I fly more than most and have n ...

I realize that some are not user error and it may be 1 in thousands that experience some bizarre behavior from their Phantom. All of us have something to contribute on this forum. We gain information, help others out, and work problems out. It's almost like a self-help thing. Sometimes I wish a DJI engineer would chime in and share some insight with the forum. There are lots of people here, lots that have been here a lot longer than I have. I have learned quite a bit from them and respect their opinions. We ALL need to respect each other and keep this forum what it is.
2015-4-21
Use props
Raybro
Second Officer
United States

Yug Posted at 2015-4-22 06:04
"I appreciate the effort....."

It does not sound like it to me.

your just showing the facts. Maybe some user error, some not. But they are there and documented.
2015-4-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-22 09:25
your just showing the facts. Maybe some user error, some not. But they are there and doc ...

I just use a little piece of pipe thread tape,  the thin white stuff you wrap around pipe threads to prevent them from leaking, then thread on the props.  Works like a charm.
2015-4-21
Use props
Raybro
Second Officer
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-22 09:30
I just use a little piece of pipe thread tape,  the thin white stuff you wrap around pipe threads  ...

Didn't think about that. Thanks. I agree with guy. They need to hire you.
2015-4-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-22 10:11
Didn't think about that. Thanks. I agree with guy. They need to hire you.

They still go on easy, tighten down by holding the motor and come off by holding the motor.
2015-4-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-4-22 09:55
Gerry, you are a mine of information!! DJI should give you a job.

Yug

They don't like me,
2015-4-21
Use props
Raybro
Second Officer
United States

Maybe just a couple of wraps?
2015-4-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-4-22 10:26
There is a saying "If they don't like you then they must LOVE you"

Yug

SURRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE they do.  They would rather I had tape on me.
2015-4-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-22 10:22
Maybe just a couple of wraps?

I only wrapped once.
2015-4-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-4-22 10:39
There was a post from someone who used a liquid. I asked him what grade he used but no answer. The ...

Yup, and it's very easy to come off and replace every flight.
2015-4-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-4-22 10:42
I can never remember which direction to lay the tape. A plumber told me once but Al Heimer interrup ...

The same way you screw the props on, you will have the overlap on the end to prevent it from coming unpealed.
2015-4-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-4-22 10:49
Yes makes sense. Also Plumbers prefer the pink stuff!!

Yug

After you get the props on, you won't see the pipe tape anyway.
2015-4-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules