P3P motor is spinning in wrong direction. Just got it back from DJI repair.
1451 15 2015-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tpetersen97
lvl.2
United States

Hi guys,

I just got my P3P back from the repair center today.   I already have a problem with it.  I wanted to take it up and hover a few feet off the ground for a few minutes to check things over.  I slowly raise throttle and she flips face forward on the ground  I have almost 90 flights under my belt and this has never happened.

Checking things over I discover that the props on the left side are spinning in the same direction.   If you look on the top of the shell it shows what direction they should be spinning.

If standing above the P3 with the battery towards me and the camera facing forwrd, it's the front left motor.  It should be spinning clockwise and it's going counter-clockwise just like the one behind it.   The other 3 motors are spinning in the correct direction.  

Now what?  Help please.

2015-12-21
Use props
koine777
lvl.2

United States

I'm not a DJI employee, but I think they should repair that for free. That sounds like a simple polarity issue, but if it scratched your shell or caused any other damage, I would think they'd be on the hook for it, especially if you just received it back from them. Proper rotation should be a basic quality check before returning it from service.
2015-12-21
Use props
koine777
lvl.2

United States

I don't know why my posts keep duplicating...
2015-12-21
Use props
tpetersen97
lvl.2
United States

I was ready to report how well my experience with DJI support has went but then I discover this.   It's upsetting.  It was gone for about 3 weeks.  I'm not about to wait another 3 weeks for repairs.   What is more upsetting is that 2 phone calls ago,  I was told by a DJI person that my P3P was done.  4 days go by and I still don't have a tracking# so I call again.  The DJI person told me they all go thru a testing process before it shipped out.  I'm thinking great.  That's good to know.  How could this have gone thru a test?  You simply cannot fly a quad with 1 motor spinning in the wrong direction.

In addition to that mess, Either this is a completely new P3P or they swapped out all the motors.  My motors  had notches on them for using the prop tightening tool.  These motors are all flat on the top.

DJI-  Please chime in here.

RMA# was:  1125201552496225779
2015-12-21
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

They wired it wrong.  They did not test it.
2015-12-21
Use props
tpetersen97
lvl.2
United States

I was specifically told that each one was tested prior to shipping them out.   To top it off,  I spent my own money shipping it there because they were supposed to send me a prepaid FedEx label but never did.  $25 down the drain.

The 2 forward motors made a bad whirring sound when it dove into the ground from going from high rpm to zero instantly.  Now I feel as though they are both comprimised.  

I'm still waiting for DJI to buzz in.
2015-12-21
Use props
tpetersen97
lvl.2
United States

Found a pic on Google of what the inside looks like.  I don't know how they could of messed it up.  Clearly shows on the system board as to what color motor wire goes where.
2015-12-21
Use props
tpetersen97
lvl.2
United States

No.  Incorrect.  The props and the motors are right and far as parts go.  I have 2 CCW props/motors and 2 CW props/motors.  

The 1 motor itself spins in the wrong direction.   It's supposed to be going CW and it is spinning CCW.   I know from doing RC helicopters, there are 3 wires.  Generally if the motor is going in the wrong direction, you can switch any 2 wires around.  Somebody screwed this up at DJI repair.  I don't even know how they could have test flown this.
2015-12-21
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-21
Use props
tpetersen97
lvl.2
United States

If it wasn't for the warranty,  I'd go in there myself and fix it by just putting bullet connectors on all the motor wires and making the polarity correct.   

Still waiting for one of the DJI guys to chime in here.
2015-12-21
Use props
tpetersen97
lvl.2
United States

Here is a video to show you I'm not crazy.  You can see it best when I power it off.   Both left side motors are going CCW.  The front left should be going CW.

2015-12-21
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Sincerely apologize for that !  I'll get your problem solved as soon as possible !  
2015-12-21
Use props
tpetersen97
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-22 00:23
Sincerely apologize for that !  I'll get your problem solved as soon as possible !

Thanks Patrick,  You can find all my info under this RMA#   1125201552496225779

I'm just sick about this.  Last week I got my tracking# from DJI-Ken and I was all excited thru the weekend knowing I'd finally have it today.  Then this happens.  Even more sickening, The motors made an awful noise when it flipped over until I was able to power it off after flipping it over.  Now I can't even be certain if the motor shafts aren't bent as a result of this.  I can't even begin to think about another 3 weeks of it being gone again.
2015-12-21
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

tpetersen97 Posted at 2015-12-22 14:39
Thanks Patrick,  You can find all my info under this RMA#   1125201552496225779

I'm just sick ab ...

Totally understand your feelings . No customer will be satisfied with that . I've reported your issue . But unfortunately , I can't get your problem solved imediately because of the time difference . Anyway , I'll get them noticed that as soon as possible !
2015-12-21
Use props
tpetersen97
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Patrick.  I understand that we are all humans and make mistakes.  See what you can do to expedite this.  I will await for someone to contact me Tuesday.   
2015-12-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Tim,
Your all taken care of correct, we took care of this in another thread.
2015-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules