12Next >
4333 58 2015-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
presti
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1329 ft

United States

Single SelectVote, Total 145 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

57.24% (83)
9.66% (14)
20.00% (29)
13.10% (19)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2015-12-21
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

im sure, less people will vote for the 1st one
2015-12-21
Use props
presti
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-12-21 21:29
im sure, less people will vote for the 1st one

I will love to know that, I think you maybe be right.
2015-12-21
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Perfect Paul because I think this is a poll targeted for the USA.
2015-12-22
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

I registered yesterday.

Everyone keeps using the term "register your UAS"  ..... that is categorically a false statement.  You register yourself, not your aircraft.  They don't care what you are flying.  When you sign up, there are no questions as to what you fly, or how many.  In fact, you could sign up and not own any aircraft.  You get ONE registration number, that you use on all of your aircraft.

Having dealt with the FAA for a number of years when I owned a J3 Cub, there is no hidden agenda, and I can see why they are worried.  On my way to work, I stopped for gas, and went inside.  There on the shelf was a quad copter, about the size of a Phantom for $100.  

This is an actual representation of COMMERCIAL aircraft over the US at any given time.  This does not include small private aircraft.

Now add millions of UAS to that mix.... and the fact that the cheap ones don't have restrictions for NFZ or altitude, and the potential for disaster goes way up.

I'm wondering how bad it will get for us if some jerk brings down a passenger jet, and hundreds die.

This is just the FAA doing at least something rather than sit on their thumbs.  We lost the ability to fly in national parks because some numbnuts crashed his Phantom into Old Faithful.  We lost the bility to fly over sporting events, because a different numbnuts crashed into the side of a stadium.   
And there was that brainiac who crashed on the White House lawn.

I'm not a fan of regulations.  But when the FAA has the responsability to keep the airspace safe.  I can see why they had to do something.  After this Christmas there will be MILLIONS more Quads in the air.

2015-12-22
Use props
presti
lvl.3

United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-22 08:55
Perfect Paul because I think this is a poll targeted for the USA.

Yes, this is targeted for the USA only.
2015-12-22
Use props
presti
lvl.3

United States

Starship Posted at 2015-12-22 09:50
I registered yesterday.

Everyone keeps using the term "register your UAS"  ..... that is categorica ...

Registration does NOT fix stupid. Sorry I don't agree to registration there are laws already on the books just enforce them.
2015-12-22
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United States

presti@optonlin Posted at 2015-12-22 09:30
Registration does fix stupid. Sorry I don't agree to registration there are laws already on the bo ...

I believe you meant to state "Registration does (NOT) fix stupid".  Concur.  This registration only identifies drone owners and where they live.  The uneducated drone cretins will continue to do really dumb stuff.

IMO, the next step will be some sort of licensing/certification requirement for all operators.  Expect a written test just like regular pilots take.

I registered because I want to enjoy my hobby legally.  Also because any FAA violation would not bode well for my real job.

2015-12-22
Use props
hilton571
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10220 ft
  • >>>
United States

FAA REGISTRATION REGULATION: The FAA has opened us up to fraud and scam. Every body ad there brother has opened a Web site to get your money and personal information. One Web site wants to charge $ 29.00 to complete your registration. Which Web site is legitimate.I'm  waiting I have until February 2016.
2015-12-22
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

hilton571@gmail Posted at 2015-12-22 13:22
Which Web site is legitimate

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/
2015-12-22
Use props
Majorl
lvl.2
United States

1. Will register
2015-12-22
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Does it ask for your drone serial #? If NOT then why register? What good does it do? Why couldn't a person just add their personal details inside the drone somewhere?
2015-12-22
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Starship Posted at 2015-12-22 22:50
I registered yesterday.

Everyone keeps using the term "register your UAS"  ..... that is categorica ...

I agree to a point. But when you register if it doesn't ask for your serial # on the drone what good does it do? Who is protecting who?
2015-12-22
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

@ SS

You register your name and address with the FAA. You are then issued a registration number. That number is to be placed on each of your UAS. That is how they identify the owner of a craft.

If you don't comply then there is no way to determine ownership unless there is a serial number on the craft that is registered and connected to your name.

2015-12-23
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-22 21:58
Does it ask for your drone serial #? If NOT then why register? What good does it do? Why couldn't a  ...

I used to own a J3 Cub.  I talked to the FAA guy who did my annuals last night after work.  His take is, it's probably a preventative measure.

Say for instance someone goes out and causes damage, and says, the aircraft got away from him.  "It was an accident"   .............  but he's lying.  If he hasn't registered he's automatically guilty of a federal crime.  If he's registered, then it could be called an accident.  He'll still be responsible for damages.  But that's the way it was before the FAA got involved.  

Anyone who's all worked up about this....... think about this.  

If your name is in a phone book
If you're a registered voter
If you've been to court in the last 20 years (anything from a speeding ticket and up)
If you are buying or own a house

Your name and address are online, and usually a simple Google search will come up with results.

With the FAA registry, they have to have your certification number to look you up..
2015-12-23
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

remltr Posted at 2015-12-23 06:42
@ SS

If you don't comply then there is no way to determine ownership unless there is a serial number on the craft that is registered and connected to your name.

Unless you live where I do....... seems like everyone within 10 miles of me knows I fly.
2015-12-23
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Starship Posted at 2015-12-23 08:05
I used to own a J3 Cub.  I talked to the FAA guy who did my annuals last night after work.  His ta ...

My point is that if you don't register a serial number of the craft how in the word does this help the FAA? It doesn't. Simply point it's useless.

Again I ask since you @Starship do you register your serial number from the craft? I also ask why are you so excited about this process?
2015-12-23
Use props
presti
lvl.3

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-12-23 10:03
Thanks, Presti - I can keep an eye on the voting, now.

Paul..

Your are welcome, it's kind of interesting don't you think?  
2015-12-23
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-23 08:18
My point is that if you don't register a serial number of the craft how in the word does this help ...

It just makes it way easier for the FAA to prosecute someone, if they have not registered and cause damage.

I'm not excited about it..... but I've dealt with the FAA for lots of years, and don't know why everyone is up in arms about it.  It takes a couple minutes.  And unless you do something stupid or illegal, there's really nothing to worry about.

Buy a full size aircraft....... then you'll realize that registering yourself as a UAS pilot is nothing.  

What the FAA is doing is nothing compared to what WILL happen when some nimrod causes people to die.  What do you think will happen when someone brings down a passenger jet?  You can probably say goodbye to our hobby.  The powers that be, would take our hobby away just to make the rest of the world feel all safe and snuggy.  People will give up freedom for the illusion of safety.  

But the bottom line is..... no one can make you register.  They can, however, make you pay dearly if you don't.
2015-12-23
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

@ Starship - My point is that I feel that my liberties have been disrupted. Meaning if I don't register, then I can be charged civilly and/or criminally. I don't like the government sticking their nose in what I own or what I do when I am not hurting anyone.

This comes back to gun control. Wanna know why our government has never approached the idea of taking away our weapons? Take a guess? Because of one reason! That we the people would not lay down like the Jews (God rest their souls) did under Hitlers regime. We (me) and others like me would fight till death to protect our right to bear arms.

With all this said… What's next? This is just the beginning, and the faster you understand this, the better off we all are. "We are either kings or pawns," a very wise man once said. I'd rather be a king. Am I going to register? I'm not certain just yet. But law can be challenged in court. But as I see, most follow like sheep and bend over and say THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!!!!
2015-12-23
Use props
presti
lvl.3

United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-23 22:07
@ Starship - My point is that I feel that my liberties have been disrupted. Meaning if I don't regis ...

I agree 100%, Well stated.
2015-12-23
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

Registered. I see no problem with it as it doesn't impose anything on me personally. I'm still going to fly it safely and within the bounds so I've no issue with it.
2015-12-23
Use props
Timsters
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1762359 ft
United States

The AMA is telling there members to hold off look it up!!
2015-12-23
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

I read the AMA article and although I certainly understand their point... I'm not a member of the AMA. Never saw a reason to be since the only other UAS that I have owned in the past have been the Phantom series drones. I don't fly model aircraft (so to speak) though I would like too.  I just wanted the ability to get some shots that there was no way for me to get before this technology came about. That said... When I first unpack-aged my Inspire 1 one of the first thoughts that came through my mind was "I should't be allowed to own something like this just because I have the means to purchase one". Weighing in at almost 7lbs this UAS "could" cause some serious damage in the wrong hands. That said... I understand that the Government has no way (at this time) to keep items like these out of the public.

Someone earlier brought up gun control and to a point I agree. I own 2 AR15 (one with a Suppressor on a Trust), 1 Tactical Shotgun, and one Accuracy International Sniper Rifle. I had to jump through all types of hoops to be able to to buy a Suppressor (as anyone knows that has purchased one). Please don't get me wrong. I don't believe that we should have to jump through all those hoops to be able to buy a UAS but there has to be some sort of rules set in place and lets face it... The vast majority of people that are flying these things probably don't even know that you are (now) required to register them. I "personally" don't look at it as a bad thing having to register but that of course is just my opinion. But with the huge influx of UAS and the technology progressing at such a fast rate there has to be some sort of regulations in place to keep people from flying these things in either restricted air space, over a crowd of people, or any place that could do harm to others. Mine, in the wrong hands, could do a lot of damage and I agree that no amount of Government regulation will put a stop to people doing stupid things with these. But... In my opinion it is a step in the right direction.

Please don't take this as being argumentative as that is not my intent. We all know that most of us that frequent these forums would never do most of the items brought up in the Government regulations. But maybe it will curb some of those that will once they realize they will be held accountable once they register.

Happy flying and hopefully we will keep getting some great shots!

Cheers  
2015-12-24
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

Quick video I made over the woods behind my house of rush hour traffic. Should have messed with ISO settings. Thing is I purposely put it above the woods so in the event of a malfunction it would land in the woods and not through someones roof. Some 15 year old might not think the same way.
Put settings in 1080P + for better video quality

2015-12-24
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-23 21:07
@ Starship - My point is that I feel that my liberties have been disrupted. Meaning if I don't regis ...

Your argument is a little flawed.  

The are not taking away any freedom.  They just want to know who has aircraft in the same sky as a planeload of people.  

You mentioned gun control.  That is a 2nd Amendment right and can not be infringed.  Even though they keep trying.  And I'm 100% against gun control..... other than let half of your breath out and slowly squeeze.   I earned my Distinguished Expert when I was 15, and have never stopped shooing in 49 years.

Flying is not a protected right, it's a privilege.  Same as driving a car.  Do you drive without some sort of permit to do so?   The FAA is just trying to get some sort of handle on things, before it kills people.

And as I've said many times, I've dealt with the FAA a lot, over the years.  You really don't need to worry about them infringing on your freedom, as long as you fly within the rules, and fly safe.

What you need to be worried about is that jerk, who thinks he's above the law, and is going to do it his way........ and then he crashes his UAS into a 747 and kills hundreds.  Or worse yet, someone who does it on pupose.

That's when UAS for private use will end.  It will only take ONE incident.   And it won't matter if it's a multi rotor, or a fixed wing RC.  We WILL all lose at that point.  Then by all means feel free to complain about losing the freedom to fly.

But one last point.  Feel free to NOT register.  It's your money.  And if you can afford the fine and the jail time....... go for it.  But think about it this way  ...............   FEDERAL CRIME

If you're worried now about freedome being taken away now......... wait until Hillary is in charge.
2015-12-24
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

The AMA is requesting their members to hold fast on registering. Please see the link below.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org ... ing-model-aircraft/
2015-12-24
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-24 08:53
The AMA is requesting their members to hold fast on registering. Please see the link below.

http:// ...

Already posted
2015-12-24
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

here are some more thoughts.....
A - Yes.
B - No.
C - Maybe.
D - I am not in the USA and not subject to the recent ruling.
E - I am visiting to the USA now what do I do?
F - Guest of the USA from other countries temp registration.

Rich
2015-12-24
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AMA thinks (from lobbing the FAA) that if you have a AMA number that the FAA could use this number to register them. So far the FAA has denied this request. The AMA membership is always changing and IMO the FAA will not want to manage the AMA membership changes on top of the other stuff they are doing. I am a leader member / life member of the AMA and personally do not think the FAA will change there minds on this point.

I guess will see in the near future..

Rich
2015-12-24
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Rich if I register it will be on the final date. I just don't like the idea and it will not make a single person safe. It just won't. Count the DUI cases that result in death each year. And the, most at least have license. Oh well. I don't want to keep going back and forth. As said if I register it will be on the last date! Just doesn't make since. It doesn't even ask for a serial number of the craft.
2015-12-24
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-24 19:17
Rich if I register it will be on the final date. I just don't like the idea and it will not make a s ...

I hear you. I think that the registration is here to stay and AMA most likely will not change this outcome.  Again this rule will only be for us honest people and change nothing for the irresponsible guys out there.

My feeling is the FAA already has all of my information, because I am a licensed commercial pilot. Adding another piece to my portfolio....   

Rich
2015-12-25
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

@Rich - I hear you and understand. As I don't agree I will most likely register. But, it will change nothing. It truly will not! Just like guns. We, law abiding citizens have to be checked for criminal offenses to purchase, while the bad guys out there just purchase right off the street. So… here we are.

Merry Christmas Rich and may this year be an amazing one for you and all of us and that our country gets on track to a positive future.
2015-12-25
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I am quite often) but this step in this direction is to trace back to the owner if the owner should do something stupid with their drone IE: fly it in restricted airspace, over a large crowd of people, or numerous other things in the event of a crash that results in injury, personal property loss, etc... Knowing that most of us that fly within the bounds set forward (even before the registration was enacted)  I "personally" don't see how it negatively affects us which is why I didn't mind registering my UAS. Maybe I look at it from a different perspective but I see no problem with it. I'm certainly open for discussion though.  

If I do something stupid (which unless a unforeseen event happens I won't) I'm not particularly concerned with  the registration process.
2015-12-26
Use props
presti
lvl.3

United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2015-12-26 10:12
Correct me if I'm wrong (which I am quite often) but this step in this direction is to trace back to ...

Here are some US hobbyists thoughts that are to the point. RearViewMirror,  please read numbers 3 & 4

1) This rule is unlawful and in direct conflict with the law passed by Congress regarding recreational model aircraft (Section 336 of FAA MODERNIZATION AND REFORM ACT OF 2012, Special Rule for Model Aircraft ), and also imposes a tax “registration” on ALL model aircraft hobbyists. said by
(Stephen Dunning, San Tan Valley, AZ)  

2) This will not do anything to improve safety, just a tax. said by (Glenn Watts, Sulphur, LA)

3) It is an unnecessary imposition on the RC community. This new registration will do nothing to stop or improve the stupidity of idiots flying unsafely (Phil Hunter, Lake Havasu City, AZ)

4) Anyone who wants to do something illegal or dangerous simply won't attach a number to their device, effectively achieving nothing at the expense of law abiding citizens. (Manfred Humann, Bluffton, IN)

2015-12-26
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Starship Posted at 2015-12-24 07:08
Your argument is a little flawed.  

The are not taking away any freedom.  They just want to know w ...

Freedom cannot be flawed,  It is or it isn't,  you cant be half pregnant, freedom is simply freedom,  I am afraid that your argument is a bit flawed. If you have ever fought for freedom you you might understand.
This question of freedom is addressed here.  Do you think this applies to this list?

2015-12-26
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just registered,took less than 5 minutes . I have to do this with my car and boat .Not sure what the big deal is and why everyone is wasting so much time on it .If you fly you need to be accountable for your actions .I know a lot of people will not register but eventually they will have to .Just my personal view ,not trying to start an argument .
2015-12-26
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-12-26 16:13
If you have ever fought for freedom you you might understand.

I'm a disabled Vietnam vet.  I did 6 years in the US Army.  So, don't go there.
2015-12-26
Use props
presti
lvl.3

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-12-26 17:13
Freedom cannot be flawed,  It is or it isn't,  you cant be half pregnant, freedom is simply freedo ...

Excellent find mtnmaddman. I love it.
2015-12-26
Use props
Citation
lvl.3
Flight distance : 134908 ft
United States

Starship Posted at 2015-12-26 18:21
I'm a disabled Vietnam vet.  I did 6 years in the US Army.  So, don't go there.

Imagine this, you register now and have 10 years with the registration verses 10 years from now and you have 1 month. We all draw the same salary of 24 hours a day, 168 hours a week, just register. In the event you  ever have a incident or checked, you have many years provable. Thoughts?  
2015-12-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules