Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
3.5mm connector for external mic
5327 14 2015-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bornish
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

Hi everyone!
I am trying to find the specifications of the 3.5mm connector for an external mic.
I have a working self-powered stereo mic which should work with the OSMO, but I believe the connections are not in a compatible order.
A typical 3.5mm stereo connector has 3 connections; lets call them base, middle and tip connections.
Which of these does the OSMO use for left and right signal and which for the mass / negative poll?
Does anyone have a diagram or description?
Thanks in advance,
Bogdan
2015-12-22
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, base -> Ground , middle ->right, tip ->left. It can support the standard 3 pin 3.5mm connector. Osmo audio ouput is mono, using the left signal only.
2015-12-22
Use props
bornish
lvl.4
United Arab Emirates

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-23 08:31
Hi, base -> Ground , middle ->right, tip ->left. It can support the standard 3 pin 3.5mm connector.  ...

Thanks Amy for the connector specs.
I am not sure I have understood your comment regarding the mono audio output.
Do you mean that connecting an external stereo mic to the OSMO, the recorded video will only contain mono audio using the left channel only?
2015-12-22
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2015-12-23 13:08
Thanks Amy for the connector specs.
I am not sure I have understood your comment regarding the mon ...

Yes, it only adopts the left audio signal.
2015-12-22
Use props
bornish
lvl.4
United Arab Emirates

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-23 10:22
Yes, it only adopts the left audio signal.

Dear Amy,
Hope you're having a great holiday season.
Regarding the OSMO audio capabilities, since many of us are looking for a better sound quality than the internal mic of the device, I am trying to better understand our possibilities.
Kindly requesting to understand why the OSMO is using only the left audio signal of an external mic. Is this a current firmware limitation that might be resolved through future updates or the internal hardware will never be able to support capturing a stereo signal from an external mic?
What suggestions do you have for someone that wants to record stereo sound with the OSMO? Do we have to use an external sound recorder and replace the mono audio with the stereo one in post processing of the video?
Thank you very much for your great support.
Best regards,
Bogdan
2015-12-26
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2015-12-27 14:31
Dear Amy,
Hope you're having a great holiday season.
Regarding the OSMO audio capabilities, since  ...

Hi, bornish, it's limited by the hardware design, if you need stereo sound, you need to record by external mic and try to sync the audio with the Osmo video using editing software. There is a audio disabled function in the app:  setting -> Camera ->Record Audio. Disable it, the files in the SD card will not contain audio.
2015-12-27
Use props
tostones
New

United States

Hello Bornish and DJI-Amy,

Thank you Bornish for so carefully pointing out this problem. I bought the Osmo assuming that the info provided by DJI was truthful. I bought a nice Rode Stereo Videomic Pro, and I found that only left channel audio is appearing in my videos.   My intention is to use this camera to capture live performances of my band, among other uses. In addition to the very serious audio sync issues (another deal breaker with this product, but one I hope will be repaired by firmware. I even recorded 1080 24f to avoid this issue, and I still have out of sync audio! Is this product EVER going to work as advertised?)

If Osmo cannot record or output in stereo, then I will be promptly returning mine, and I expect a full refund for it and all of the accessories I bought in anticipation of what I thought was a great product.... I feel that the DJI company is lying to its customers, as this product is advertised as having stereo capabilities, and DJI even recommends a Sony Stereo mic (ECM-DS70P) on its product page. The specs say "two channel", which always means STEREO! DJI-Amy, are you admitting that DJI has lied to its customers? By saying its limited by hardware, you are proving that the claims on the product specifications page are false. How is any customer supposed to accept this? Please let me know that there will be a firmware update soon to fix this.
2016-1-30
Use props
alvintoro
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

tostones@sover. Posted at 2016-1-30 17:38
Hello Bornish and DJI-Amy,

Thank you Bornish for so carefully pointing out this problem. I bought t ...

Maybe you need to update your firmware. My Osmo records stereo with both the onboard and external mic.
2016-1-30
Use props
tostones
New

United States

alvintoro Posted at 2016-1-30 16:53
Maybe you need to update your firmware. My Osmo records stereo with both the onboard and external  ...

How can the onboard mic, with one hole, get stereo? I get two, identical channels, but not L-R stereo. I tested with external mic (RODE Stereo Videomic Pro), and just like DJI-Amy wrote, only left mic audio is recorded onto both channels. I suggest you try listening to your audio with headphones: walk around from left to right while talking into mic. The video file will say it has two channels, but they will be identical. I've been doing video and audio work for most of my life, and I have a recording studio in my house, and I am a musician too. Stereo matters!
2016-1-30
Use props
LenMiddx
Second Officer
United Kingdom

alvintoro Posted at 2016-1-30 21:53
Maybe you need to update your firmware. My Osmo records stereo with both the onboard and external  ...

If you check the amplitude of the waveforms you'll notice that both channels are identical. It's recording dual-mono.
2016-1-30
Use props
Nick Hope
New

Thailand

Thanks for clarifying this. I was looking at using external mics such as the Movo VXR280 or the Rode Stereo VideoMic to capture ambience in stereo, but now I'll just look at external mono mics.
2016-2-1
Use props
alvintoro
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

You guys are totally correct. I get stereo from my external recorder and had never really paid attention to the the Osmo's waveforms as I just use them to sync with Pluraleyes in post.
2016-2-3
Use props
fans9606dc1b
New

United States

I was wondering if i could use some kind of a splitter one to plug my rode lapel mic into and one for a set of beats with the hopes of being able to hear the sound quality while filming - anyone know if a splitter like this would work for this purpose?  https://www.amazon.com/Conwork-H ... 3.5+mm+mic+splitter
2017-2-10
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.4
Flight distance : 826854 ft
Canada

fans9606dc1b Posted at 2017-2-10 07:52
I was wondering if i could use some kind of a splitter one to plug my rode lapel mic into and one for a set of beats with the hopes of being able to hear the sound quality while filming - anyone know if a splitter like this would work for this purpose?  https://www.amazon.com/Conwork-H ... 3.5+mm+mic+splitter

A friend has successfully used a similar splitter with the outputs of two wireless receivers feeding his Osmo+. Both audio feeds come in at equal levels though.
2017-2-10
Use props
Peter Groom
lvl.3
United Kingdom

breezeway95 Posted at 2017-2-10 12:09
A friend has successfully used a similar splitter with the outputs of two wireless receivers feeding his Osmo+. Both audio feeds come in at equal levels though.

I feel that trying to use the Osmo for anything more that BASIC sound, or a scratch track for re syncing later, is trying to make it be something it is NOT.  I too am a sound engineer, and appreciate the importance of audio, and stereo etc. Thats not to sat that the oSmo is the tool. Its not. Its for taking stabilized moving pictures. If you bought it thinking you were getting a high end sound recorder too, you bought the wrong box.
An inexpensive external audio recorder like a Zoom h4n / Zoom H6n will look after your sound issues well enough, provide monitoring etc
Peter
2017-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules