Another battery question
994 11 2015-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tcmitch1
lvl.2

For some reason I couldn't post this question in another battery thread.
hello,  I have a question about my battery as well.  I have 17 charges on my battery for the P3S.  Has always showed 100% battery life and I recharge the battery when it reaches 30% left. Yesterday I decided to fly the Phantom and waited for the battery to cool.  I then discharged it to 6 or 7% when the motors wont start anymore for a deep discharge.
Waited for battery cool down and then did a full charge.  Now my battery life is showing 94%  Is this normal to have the battery life go down 6% after the 17 normal charge/discharges.  I know the deep discharge is supposed to be after 20 cycles now.
Much appreciated for feedback!

2015-12-23
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

how are the cell voltages looking ?

fly it 10 or so times then calibrate again, normally the drops are a little smaller than that,

whats most important is that its a stable battery and it performs well,the remaining life is an indication but not the whole story.

fly it and see how it performs.

how are the cell voltages looking
2015-12-23
Use props
tcmitch1
lvl.2

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2015-12-24 04:49
how are the cell voltages looking ?

fly it 10 or so times then calibrate again, normally the drops  ...

Thanks Angler.  The voltages all  have the same value, so that's a good sign.  I will look at the Healthy Drones site and see what the flight data sees for the battery cells.  
2015-12-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe if you do another deep discharge it will bring the battery life back. One of my P3 batteries had about 60 charges and it still says 100%.
for the first 10 charges I ran the batteries down to 50%, then every 20 charges I did the battery calibration.
2015-12-23
Use props
tcmitch1
lvl.2

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-24 05:11
Maybe if you do another deep discharge it will bring the battery life back. One of my P3 batteries h ...

Thanks Ken, should I do the deep discharge again now?  ( it will be the 19th charge cycle)  Or should I wait until another 20 cycles? Remember, I already did the deep discharge at the 17th cycle the other day.
2015-12-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I don;t think it matters, you can discharge it now if you want.
Before you do that, why not powering everything up again and see if it still says 94% life.
2015-12-23
Use props
tcmitch1
lvl.2

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-24 06:01
I don;t think it matters, you can discharge it now if you want.
Before you do that, why not powering ...

ok will do that.  Then if still 94%, I will discharge it.  so that means flying it until battery gets low?  Then discharge with motors at idle until 8%?  
2015-12-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

There's 2 ways described in the manual, since you are already seeing a discrepancy I would do the discharge by just letting it sit powered up (props not spinning) until it shuts itself off. Then wait a few (battery shouldn't be too warn) and then fully charge it. Hopefully it will say 100% when you power it up again.
2015-12-23
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

From another source, don't discharge it so far on a regular basis.  Bring it down to around 20% and no further.  After 15-20 cycles, do a deep discharge to 8% max, cool it, recharge it.  Constantly discharging too far may be doing damage to the lifetime expectancy.  You might want to give a read at Battery University

Merry Christmas to all!
2015-12-23
Use props
tcmitch1
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-23 17:14
There's 2 ways described in the manual, since you are already seeing a discrepancy I would do the di ...

Ken,
I flew the Phantom tonight to 20% battery.  I then landed it.  Waited about 10 mins then just turned on the Phantom without motors spinning and left it on until the battery reached 8%.  Let battery cool and then did a full recharge.  
After full recharged, I"m at now 96% battery life.  Only 18 cycles on it now. FWIW, I did do the new FW update on the P3 Standard.  
All four cells read 4.3V.... will it ever get back to 100%?  I will not do another deep cycle for another 20 more cycles and will discharge down to 20%
What do you think?  Will battery prematurely wear out?
According to Healthy Drones, there are no far deviations from voltage on any of the cells...
2015-12-23
Use props
tcmitch1
lvl.2
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2015-12-23 22:32
From another source, don't discharge it so far on a regular basis.  Bring it down to around 20% and  ...

Thank you Gary for that information!
2015-12-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I think your battery is fine. Let us know what the % is after another 20 cycles.
2015-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules