Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Calculate Straight Line Distance
2856 2 2015-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
longislandcampe
lvl.1

United States

So we've all used google maps or something similar to find out how far one place is from another place.  That works well but it gives you the total distance when going turn by turn on the road and we all know that the distance is much shorter if you were to fly there in a straight line.  I've always wondered just how close some family members live to me but I never took the time to see if there was a way to find out until I got my P3A.  Now I know.  :-)

If I were to drive to my brothers house then it would take about 7-10 minutes due to all the twists and turns I have to make.  Total driving distance is about 2.5 - 3 miles.  If you were to make a straight line to my brothers house then it is only .9 miles away.  Big difference.

Here is the site to calculate distance in a straight line.  I hope you find it useful.  :-)

2015-12-26
Use props
twlangan
lvl.1

United States

Geo Elevation is an iOS app that you can use as well. Nice feature is it will also show you the elevation difference between two points. I live in the drift less area of Wisconsin. We have a lot of bluffs in this area. Nice to be able to see how high they are in relation to my launch point so I can more safely navigate over them if I choose.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ ... on/id509924746?mt=8
2015-12-26
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha longislandcampe & tw,

For a somewhat low tech measurement - and I know it is not as much fun - Google Earth has a distance measurement tool.  It is line of sight.  Works for me but then I am an Android guy.

Last weekend, I flew to a planned site and then decided to fly on to my friend's house where his wife was nude sunbathing (not really - just seeing if you were paying attention).  According to the flight log, the road path was 3 miles, like yours.  Then with an eye toward the battery - and the fact that this was my longest flight - I blazed home, line of sight.  One mile, like yours, and faster than I thought it would be.  30 percent was when I arrived home.  I had to dilly-dally just to waste battery.

Interesting that we had such a similar flight experience.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules