Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying anonymously
7384 30 2015-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tcmalker
lvl.1

United States

My fear of  flying drones is that it will land in a backyard of a drone-hating serial killer who will find out where I live and come kill me and my family.  That's the reason I don't put any contact info (name, email, phone #, etc.) on my drone.  I'm also not going to register with the FAA (which is completely optional btw) or put any registration # on the drones.  That's because the serial killer will be able to find out where I live from that registration # since it will be completely searchable, name, address and all.  Also the serial killer could have friends in the FAA, who knows?

So, you would think that would be safe enough, but you would be wrong!  Dead wrong.  That's because inside the Phantom is a secret, hidden micro SD card that acts like a black box, recording everything that you do.  I am very alarmed that DJI has now made it very hard to delete the data on micro SD.  Since the update from GO 2.4 to 2.4.1, DJI has remove the option to "format data recorder" from the app.  Why, you wonder?  Read on.

You may not realize this, but the micro SD can hold 100s of all your flights.  Anybody with access to the micro SD can view all your flights and see how high you flew (over 400ft?) or how many times you flew over a serial killer's house, spying on him.  But it's just not the flight.  The moment you turn your bird on, the GPS data is recorded.  So, if you turn your bird on at home, the serial killer will able to pinpoint your exact location and come kill you and your family.
Also, make sure you turn the option "video caption" off in GO app.  This is also dangerous for anonymous flying because if you are recording videos, it captures your take off point GPS, which could be from your backyard.  If you take video, like most of us do, don't start recording until you are far away from your take off spot because any smart drone-hating serial killers will be able to watch the video and be able to determine where you live (if you take off from home).

So what you have to do to protect you and your family is:
1.  don't put any contact info on your bird
2.  don't register with the FAA
3.  do something about the micro SD card

I can help you with #3.  It's hidden in the battery compartment and is glued in so it will be complicated to remove and you'll probably have to remove the shell.  But there's an easier way.  All you have to do is enter the flight data mode and erase everything there.  Then, fill the card with a dummy file.  Make sure it's completely filled so that NO data can be written.  You will get MC Data error, but don't worry, it doesn't affect anything, just no data can be written on the card and you're safe from the serial killer and fly wherever you wish with no consequences whatsoever.  No serial killers will ever be able to track you if you crashed into his yard or car.

*disclaimer*  
please fly responsibly and take responsibility for your actions

2015-12-26
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Captain
Flight distance : 8330174 ft
  • >>>
Canada

If you are going to take "responsibility" for your actions and happened to fly into the serial killer's car, you would have to own up to it.
2015-12-26
Use props
nigelwilkins
First Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Talk about paranoid!!  What about the serial killer postman?  PMSL
2015-12-26
Use props
jrm11
lvl.4
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

Some questions...

1. Drone or no drone, why are you living so close to a serial killer?
2 Why don't you make a call and report the serial killer to the authorities?
3. Why are you flying so close to a serial killer's home?
4. Is it April 1st already?
2015-12-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Have you considered the Ordinary Killer, you know, the one who has not yet developed into a Serial Killer? He only lives a couple of doors away from you....
2015-12-26
Use props
aburkefl
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

nigelwilkins Posted at 2015-12-26 13:05
Talk about paranoid!!  What about the serial killer postman?  PMSL

Or the serial killer UPS delivery man.
Or the serial killer FedEx delivery guy - hey, are these two related?
Or the serial killer milkman. Oh that's right - no more milkmen.
Or, to be absolutely politically correct, that should be "serial killer milkperson!"
LOL
Dude (the OP), you have too much time on your hands.

Actually, you need to be even more careful than you think. Once I've determined who you are and where you live (via the S/N from your purchase site) I'm going to hijack your Phantom and lease it to Amazon so they can use it for deliveries. Won't make me a serial killer, but I can probably make a killing on the commissions! LOL
2015-12-26
Use props
Davphys
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-26
Use props
nrgwise
First Officer

United States

OR, and here is a real novel idea, just fly responsibly and no worries.
2015-12-26
Use props
bill
lvl.4

United States

I am really disappointed that you guys are not taking the OP more seriously.  Kellogg's documented the importance of not underestimating cereal killers years ago. It has been shown that most cereal killers drown their victims until all that is left is a soggy mess.  I actually plan to set up a Go Fund Me to help the victims of cereal killers. You may laugh but I plan to milk it for all it is worth!
2015-12-26
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I give Cheerios to my cereal as life preservers.   Sheesh!
2015-12-27
Use props
tcmalker
lvl.1

United States

My fear is drone-hating serial killers.  Yours can be drone-hating neighbors, or drone-hating FAA inspectors.  It doesn't matter.  This allows you to fly without fear of anybody being able to track you down.  I really don't appreciate being tracked by the secret-hidden black box.  Where and how I fly is my business, not anybody else.  Thanks for reading.  Happy new year.
2016-1-1
Use props
Michael M
First Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

chill out no one's out to get you
2016-1-1
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 136946 ft
United States

Stop peering into people's windows with your drone. Lol
2016-1-1
Use props
bobasbury
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is the likelihood of crashing into the yard of a serial killer?  I would say the specter of a 27k fine would be slightly more real than finding a drone-hating serial killer.  Heck, who knows?  Maybe your average serial killer would see the inherent potential of a drone, and you may become fast friends.
2016-1-1
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

I am sharing Your concernes tcmalker ... Orwell 1984.
2016-1-1
Use props
Mr Smith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3621066 ft
  • >>>
United States

bill@northwoods Posted at 2015-12-26 23:27
I am really disappointed that you guys are not taking the OP more seriously.  Kellogg's documented t ...

Best comment award goes to... ^
2016-1-1
Use props
lilewis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7641 ft
United States

Mr Smith Posted at 2016-1-1 22:58
Best comment award goes to... ^

Funniest thread I've ever read.   Couldn't stop laughing!
2016-1-2
Use props
aopisa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

This is the very reason I only use the simulator mode and never actually fly.
2016-1-2
Use props
Viper989
Second Officer
Flight distance : 891194 ft
Canada

I'll give you 50 bucks for your P3 , as we don't seem to have to many serial killers in Canada . Must be the cold weather
2016-1-2
Use props
vr-pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4668169 ft
Germany

My hope is that not too many people invest in that type of equipment:

http://www.gizmag.com/battelles- ... eam-gun-uavs/39885/
2016-1-2
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 136946 ft
United States

vr-pilot Posted at 2016-1-2 20:20
My hope is that not too many people invest in that type of equipment:

http://www.gizmag.com/battel ...

Those would never be legal for anyone to own.  Government only. FCC laws prohibit such devices that jam with radio waves.  Court case: FCC vs. Rocky Mountain Radar.
2016-1-2
Use props
sifu128
lvl.4

United States

I just about spit out my beer reading this morons post. I hope he does that and his drone crashes. Once DJI asks him for the logs to analyze the problem he would have just thrown away his money LAUGHS REALLY HARD!
2016-1-2
Use props
arives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cuckoo  for Cuckoo  Puffs!
2016-1-2
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-1-2
Use props
tcmalker
lvl.1

United States

sifu128 Posted at 2016-1-2 22:08
I just about spit out my beer reading this morons post. I hope he does that and his drone crashes. O ...

Hey idiot, if i ever crashed my bird all i have to do is destroyed the sd card and give them the log from my phone.  If i ever crash into a serial killer backyard he won't ever find me.  If i ever crash into a serial killer car causing death to him or his family, no one will ever find me.  The lists goes on.  So who's the moron now?
2016-1-2
Use props
Dacon Productio
lvl.3

United States

Your prop just landed in my backyard...Where do you live?
2016-1-2
Use props
Boblanglois52
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129567 ft
United States

Michael M Posted at 2016-1-1 15:39
chill out no one's out to get you

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you!
2016-1-3
Use props
nigelw
First Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

tcmalker Posted at 2016-1-3 04:50
Hey idiot, if i ever crashed my bird all i have to do is destroyed the sd card and give them the l ...

erm...what if it auto lands in a back yard, but you don't know if it's a serial killer or not (I don't expect they advertise the fact).
2016-1-3
Use props
sifu128
lvl.4

United States

OMG, if you are so worried don't fly a drone and live in your house with all your blinds closed.
2016-1-3
Use props
pomonabill220
lvl.1

United States

bill@northwoods Posted at 2015-12-26 21:27
I am really disappointed that you guys are not taking the OP more seriously.  Kellogg's documented t ...

OH BOY!!!!!!  a REAL play on words!  Funny!
2016-3-20
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

First off,  Cheerios are doughnut seeds.  Don't waste them.
Second,  according to the FBI,  and based on the number of unsolved murders with similar traits in the United States,  about 1 person out of every 100 is a serial killer.
Third,  all you have to do to get rid of the GPS data on your videos is to erase the text file that is recorded with the video.  Or,  fo added fun,  alter the GPS coordinates to show the position of the local police station.  After all,  it's only a text file.
Fourth,  tin foil hats are easy and fun to make.
2016-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules