Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is the OSMO capable to capture GPS?
10112 19 2015-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bornish
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

Hello!
I have to be honest that the specification page for the OSMO does not mention at all GPS, but nowadays almost all devices are GPS capable, including other DJI products, other cameras and even phones on the market. Taking georeferenced pictures and capturing videos with GPS caption as an external file is has become norm for awhile now. Since the OSMO is also mountable on bikes and in cars, one would expect the OSMO to have GPS capabilities, even if the receiver isn't giving the best accuracy. At least, the OSMO should have a port where someone could at least attach a self powered GPS module, even sold by DJI as a separate accessory.
So, what would be the easiest way for one to capture location info that is synced with the video recording of the OSMO.
Please note that it has been about an year since I am requesting DJI to release a method to grab GPS and camera orientation information synced with the captured videos and / or embeded in captured pictures. In the OSMO's case is even less likely to be able to capture imaging data linked to sensor data, which many of us understand how important it is. We are not all cinematographers and have additional interests when using stabilized camera systems.
Regards,
Bogdan
2015-12-26
Use props
sdchew
lvl.4

Singapore

To be honest, there's no real need for GPS on the Osmo. Your phone already has A-GPS and all that's needed is for the DJI Go app to integrate this information.
2015-12-27
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Current firmware does not capture GPS.

2015-12-27
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, the current Osmo hardware design does not contain the GPS module so these georeferenced information are not available now.  But I will report your suggestion and need to the engineers. Thanks.
2015-12-27
Use props
bornish
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

sdchew Posted at 2015-12-28 06:02
To be honest, there's no real need for GPS on the Osmo. Your phone already has A-GPS and all that's  ...

The DJI Go app isn't the one doing the picture capturing or the video recording, thus has no way to directly save georeferencing information into the files, but indeed they could upgrade the OSMO firmware  to allow the app to send the data to the camera and the camera to save it into the files. Not the best way to achieve it, but would be better than nothing at all, even if this method would force us to use the phone with the app to capture coordinates. Normally we wouldn't exactly when gps data is needed (hiking, racing,...).
2015-12-27
Use props
gboyd
New

United States

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-27 23:11
Hi, the current Osmo hardware design does not contain the GPS module so these georeferenced informat ...

Just adding my voice to this request for GPS. I've held off purchasing an OSMO for this very reason. Really hope to see this added in future versions. Thanks.
2016-7-1
Use props
Advocate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Add another vote for adding the ability for DJI Go to send GPS data to the Osmo so it can be added to the EXIF information of the photos and videos (do videos have EXIF?)
2016-7-1
Use props
dopeytree
First Officer
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The app already does this for DJI drones so to add it to the OSMO's should be pretty easy. As the drones homeports are marked on the in DJI Flight Logs. You could just change it to record the mobiles locations every 60seconds or so this would be useful for OSMO video & more importantly photos & also good for social sharing / geo tagging etc.
2016-7-3
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

dopeytree Posted at 2016-7-4 04:54
The app already does this for DJI drones so to add it to the OSMO's should be pretty easy. As the dr ...

Dear customer, thank you for your feedback, our engineers are aware of users requests about GPS. We're working on to satisfy customers.

Thank you.
2016-7-4
Use props
pm.valente
lvl.1

Italy

I bought osmo to make photogrammetry but unfortunately I found that there are not geo-referenced data, you must use an external GPS and for each photo manually enter exif dates.

2016-10-2
Use props
fansad29f52a
lvl.1

United States

Is the Osmo able to capture the GPS data yet?
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

fansad29f52a Posted at 2016-12-30 23:58
Is the Osmo able to capture the GPS data yet?

Sorry, no..
2017-1-3
Use props
fansdc7cfe03
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Does the osmo.mobile capture gps? Or does the app mean it's not captured?
2017-1-3
Use props
fansc82421b1
lvl.1
Australia

fansdc7cfe03 Posted at 2017-1-3 02:54

Can the OSMO capture GPS co-ords yet?
2017-11-14
Use props
fansc82421b1
lvl.1
Australia

fansdc7cfe03 Posted at 2017-1-3 02:54

2017-11-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansc82421b1 Posted at 2017-11-14 16:12

Sorry, Sir, since there is no GPS module in Osmo, the coordinate info will not be recorded.
2017-11-14
Use props
fans76b3eeea
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17730 ft
Italy

is there a way to add the gps tag to the exif info using an additional gps connected via bluetooth?
2018-12-12
Use props
JDKINC
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-27 20:11
Hi, the current Osmo hardware design does not contain the GPS module so these georeferenced information are not available now.  But I will report your suggestion and need to the engineers. Thanks.

Please do!  This is the only reason I have been holding out on purchasing one and (gasp!) considering a Hero 7 instead, which I really really don't want, but do kinda need GPS info for the photos / videos I take for work.
2019-2-11
Use props
GetBack2Basics
lvl.1

Australia

This should have been a basic feature. For those with privacy concerns, users should be able to turn it off but having an EXIF location tag is so useful. Hopefully it will allow a bluetooth connection to an external GPS - I will get mine in a few days and will try it out but I was so anoyed to find out it doesn't have a GPS after I bought it, I didn't even think to acheck as this is expected.
2019-10-24
Use props
djiuser_QuhUcJuulYes
lvl.2

United States

sdchew Posted at 2015-12-27 18:02
To be honest, there's no real need for GPS on the Osmo. Your phone already has A-GPS and all that's needed is for the DJI Go app to integrate this information.

Maybe not for you but there in fact there are others like myself who do need the gps metadata amd since the osmo doesn't have that i replaced it with a gopro and had great success.
Have a nice day
2022-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules