Proper Windsurfer Positioning....
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
longislandcampe
lvl.2

United States

So last night I attempted to fly my P3A to a POI about 5,000' from me.  When I got to about 3,300' the bird lost signal and turned around.  I was a little disappointed so I went inside and built some windsurfer antennaes.  They looked great and I was excited so I went outside to test them only to find it raining.  :-(

So I woke up today and was excited to find a partly cloudy day with no rain so once the temps got to around 40F I went outside with my windsurfers and attempted the same flight.  Much to my dismay the bird only got to about 2,500' when it lost signal and turned around.  With the windsurfers on I got 800' LESS distance.  :-(

I understand the signal becomes more directional once the windsurfers are installed but is there a general guideline on how to point the antennaes, how high on the anteanna to place the windsurfers or anything along those lines?

2015-12-28
Use props
lord.neo.gerson
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

1.- Point both antenas parallel and flat side pointing to where the drone is flying.
2.- Get some trigonometry working and calculate the minimun altittude for direct LOS (guide: if your highest obstacle is 10mts high at 100mts from you, you need at least 70mts altittude when you are at 700mts distance)

The windsurfer only makes narrower the "point direction" and redirect the signal pointing back to power the forward signal so you pretty much have to keep the RC pointing the drone at all times, unlock the compass in the map so you can know where to point more easily.
2015-12-28
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Yea there's great video by DJI-Tim in This topic
2015-12-28
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Please take this thread as a reference : http://forum.dji.com/thread-33091-1-1.html
2015-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules