X5 color temperature settings
6089 31 2015-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DDM
lvl.2

United States

I am a camera man very familiar with Kelvin and color settings and the only way I'm getting anything that looks normal is with "Auto" color set in the menu. As soon as I set the color temperature manually or through one of the presets I get really strange colors. For example I ran a color test tonight in the studio with one 3200K light on a fruit bowl and color chart and if I manually set the color temp on the DJI go app (most updated version) I get red footage. If I set the color to the incandescent preset I get red footage. The color doesn't move from cool to warm like it should on a Kelvin scale it runs from orange to red. Put it in auto and it looks pretty good! Can someone else test this and see what you get. I did upgrade everything today, Inspire 1, RC, batts, Go App, X5 etc....

I just got my X5 today and I want to make sure I don't have a broken one. I'm thinking it might be a software glitch that can get fixed in a firmware update. help!?
2015-12-28
Use props
DDM
lvl.2

United States

Really nobody?.......BUMP!
2015-12-29
Use props
ge0se
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3184721 ft
United States

Color temp was broken one or two firmware updates back, DJI is supposedly fixing it in upcoming releases.
2015-12-29
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Please try to upgrade to the latest firmware.
2016-1-8
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

United States

Manual color temp still doesn't work.  Daylight around 5200K is close to being right, but everything else is very wrong.  Auto works fine.
2016-1-10
Use props
Drone Cuiabá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13272894 ft
  • >>>

I accept. I find it very bad set the color temperature!

A while ago I asked that the color temperature to be displayed on the image display as he watched the Ipad that during filming I had to set parameters manually.

I trust in automatic mode to set the color. But I can not make a video in automatically as the temperature during the scene changes and spoils the colors. I would like to take a picture in automatic mode, see what the temperature was chosen and then configure it manually.
2016-1-13
Use props
DrMrdalj
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1265978 ft
  • >>>
Serbia

+1
I noticed off colours on the first day after receiving Inspire 1 Pro. Factory presets (sunny, cloudy...) and AWB work, but I am still not able to set proper custom white balance. My firmwares are all up to date, and I know what I am doing  but still without success.... I should note that even Panasonic GH4, which is not really pro camera, performs fairly all what I ask for, so I really hoped that X5 would do in similar fashion... To my disappointment  X5 underperforms in every aspect of video creation (focusing and sharpens,  colour, codec etc). X5l has big potential advantage - it is small and Inspire 1 platform is efficient, so I really really hope that in next few months firmwares will improve this. If that does not happen I really can not comprehend why would anybody buy X5R....
2016-1-18
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

United States

The factory presets seem to be okay for kelvin around 5500.  Outside of that range, and the tint starts to get really off.  There was a firmware a couple of releases back that was supposed to "fix" a white balance issue.  My guess is that they fixed white balance to be close to correct around daylight temperatures, but  completely screwed up the scale at higher or lower Kelvin.  Most people don't notice it because they either shoot in AWB or outside in daylight.  Trying to use the X5 indoors right now is a nightmare, though.  The X3 is fine for whitebalance, so it's a camera firmware issue.  
2016-1-18
Use props
ge0se
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3184721 ft
United States

Casey Preston Posted at 2016-1-18 10:22
The factory presets seem to be okay for kelvin around 5500.  Outside of that range, and the tint sta ...

Cant believe this isn't fixed yet!
2016-2-2
Use props
DDM
lvl.2

United States

ge0se Posted at 2016-2-2 00:21
Cant believe this isn't fixed yet!

Cmon DJI respond even if you don't fix it now. tell us what is going on!!!
2016-2-3
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

DrMrdalj Posted at 2016-1-19 00:52
+1
I noticed off colours on the first day after receiving Inspire 1 Pro. Factory presets (sunny, clo ...

Thanks for your feedback! We'll report to relative staff and try to find a better solution. About the update, please pay attention to DJI official website.
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

DDM Posted at 2016-2-4 13:08
Cmon DJI respond even if you don't fix it now. tell us what is going on!!!

Hello! Your concern has attracted our attention, things are going on, please just wait for the update with patience. Thanks for your support and understanding!
2016-2-4
Use props
ian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1257218 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why the hell is this camera on the market!!! ITS DOESNT WORK. The color temperatures are totally off, all I get, no matter what filter, color temperature or setting I use - its PURPLE. This is a bloody disgrace! I have not in hindsight seen any footage come out of the X5 that looks ok!!
2016-2-26
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

United States

Yeah, it's a joke.  AWB works ok for me, but AWB is unacceptable for video.  There is no legitimate reason why a camera is released with white balance that doesn't work.  It's one of the bare minimum requirements.  The craziest thing is that one of the earlier firmware updates actually had a change listed that was supposed to fix the white balance.  I don't know whether it made it worse or better,  All I know is that any legitimate camera development team would never have let an error like this slip though to release.  

In any case, since AWB seems to work, you can use a white card and exposure lock to get a manual white balance if that is an option.
2016-2-26
Use props
ian
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Casey Preston Posted at 2016-2-27 13:50
Yeah, it's a joke.  AWB works ok for me, but AWB is unacceptable for video.  There is no legitimate  ...

Theres no doubt about it, the colors of the X5 simply suck. I have done similar studio tests, field tests and they are way off. I am on the right firmware, no color looks etc.
The only way to get it close is D-log and work it like hell in DaVinci.
2016-4-16
Use props
Insieme Agency
lvl.2
Flight distance : 420449 ft
Hungary

ian@pre-future. Posted at 2016-4-17 06:50
Theres no doubt about it, the colors of the X5 simply suck. I have done similar studio tests, fiel ...

F!%/CK , We been working a dozen hours to color grade the x5 because in D-log We had the purple color and its really annoying !!!!

DJI PLS DO SOMETHING !!!!!!
2016-10-5
Use props
sfdrones.tv
lvl.4
  • >>>

My update to this is that I ended up buying the X5R and it has none of the same color issues. In fact after being really unhappy with the x5, I am the opposite with the X5R.
2016-10-5
Use props
fanse9ac2261
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Where are we at with that? I film a lot inside and its a gigantic pain in the ass. Now mater what I do manually the AWB is always off. The skin colours are pure red, the whites are always off. It costs the price of a proper camera and yet the colours make it borderline unusable.
2016-10-31
Use props
user9b08e2155b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 452740 ft
Australia

Anyone fixed the purple /pink tint issue of the x5. ?
2016-11-17
Use props
user9b08e2155b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 452740 ft
Australia

Why hasn't dji fixed this issue
2016-11-17
Use props
FlyingSquirrel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17141325 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

Yup, I agree truly a problem to shoot right. Thats too bad I prefer to fly a i1 rather than a Hexa or Octo....
2016-11-21
Use props
ChEdL
lvl.1
South Africa

Impressive... A year later and still not capable of having a Kelvin slider right...

I guess it's like all DJI product, 1-year support until the new generation comes out.
Probably solved on the Inspire 2... I mean, I hope...
2016-12-3
Use props
scottauerbach
New
United States

And here we are, mid-2017, and the X5 still looks like it has the worst case of sunburn imaginable.  Even in log mode (not that DJI has bothered to produce a .cube post LUT!!!!), it is virtually impossible to grade the image properly (and I've been grading footage for 20 years).  Apparently DJI is rich enough to buy Hasselblad, but too stupid to know what to do with them... or how to hire someone competent (like RED hired Graeme Nattress).
2017-5-23
Use props
lukesheldon
New

United States

When we film anything red, it looks like neon pink. Anything in shade has a magenta tint. We thought shooting flat would allow us to better remove these flaws, but it's really tough to get it looking good and as another poster said it just takes too long correcting it.

Is anything being done about this, or should I give up expecting decent footage?

(good to know it's not just my camera though)
2017-7-6
Use props
Drone Tech Aeri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2951900 ft
United States

I have had an X5 on firmware from over 1.5 years ago that was producing rock solid footage, and great pre-grades that would just allow for us to dump to clients when required. Had to send it back in because they did not install tilt stops in the gimbal after a sensor warranty repair that was botched and it bothered me that I had let it go so long. Finally turned it in to have the tilt stops put in, got the camera back from DJI two weeks ago with the latest firmware. Now we cant get the damn image to come close to true without color correction in post. Magenta shift every single time, cant be corrected in camera no way, no how. Came across this post and other similar ones... DJI please take a look at fixing this issue, it is so basic yet causes so much frustration for many of us who use your equipment on a daily basis. Many of us are business owners not just hobbyist, this causes major headaches for us and our clients. Please make fixing the magenta color issue a priority.
2017-7-27
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I have the X5S on the Inspire 2 and noticed the magenta color too.  I just found this thread and can't believe the tint issue still exists.

I had to scrounge the web to find some old Wratten CC gels in Green on eBay.  I discovered I can get a decent gray if I gel the 45mm Olympus lens with a CC05 Green, and the stock 15mm DJI lens needs a CC10 Green.  I found Samy's Camera in Los Angeles does carry some green filters made by Lee Filters in polyester too for the Hollywood cinema folk.

I've attached the two lens on the X5S looking at a white balance card in daylight with the histogram set to color to show the RGB overlap for the best gray I could get.  Without the gel, the green bar was way down below the red and blue ones.  Changing the Kelvin moves the red and blue a lot more than the green tint one which is only correctionable by adding the Wratten Green filters.

X5S DJI 15mm with CC 10 Green.

X5S DJI 15mm with CC 10 Green.

X5S Olympus 45mm with 05 Green.

X5S Olympus 45mm with 05 Green.
2017-8-14
Use props
Mike9129
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland

Any more about this?

The magenta colour is extremely frustrating to try and deal with.

It's not overly noticeable if your just using x5 footage, but mix it with any other camera and you can tell right away.
2017-10-3
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

HI DDM, Are you using any type of custom settings for your X 5? Can you reset the camera settings so it goes back to default factory settings and start from there? We appreciate your time and look forward to your respond. Please also provide a screen shot on what you have going on with the factory settings.
2017-10-3
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

ian@pre-future. Posted at 2016-2-26 19:29
Why the hell is this camera on the market!!! ITS DOESNT WORK. The color temperatures are totally off, all I get, no matter what filter, color temperature or setting I use - its PURPLE. This is a bloody disgrace! I have not in hindsight seen any footage come out of the X5 that looks ok!!

Hi Ian. Can you provide more information on what type of set up do you have? Is it the X 5 as well? You can send me a personal message to get started.
2017-10-3
Use props
DRONE DRIVER
lvl.1
Flight distance : 412910 ft
United States

Does anybody have an update on how to get rid of the purple hue?
2017-10-23
Use props
ZREX
lvl.1
Australia

It seems like DJI prefers to test their products on their customers. They barely respond to questions and struggle to fix problems. We have six X5 cameras in the company. Three on Inspire 1's and three on Osmos. On the same settings they all give different colours. The Osmos, especially, are a nightmare to grade. I wish DJI had decent competition, I'd swap in a heartbeat. And, let's not start talking about the pathetic Crystalsky monitors...
2018-3-23
Use props
djiuser_yNxHPrBOFGGr
lvl.1

China

user9b08e2155b Posted at 2016-11-17 02:42
Anyone fixed the purple /pink tint issue of the x5. ?

使用IR/UV-cut滤镜可以解决
2018-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules