RTH: How It Works and What to Avoid
100368 232 2015-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PCTInspire
lvl.3

Spain

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-1-11 02:22
If Shou still worked on my FlyPad, I'd show you...

Actually... I think I can cobble together a way ...

No baiting I'm absolutely on board with this, if I experience that same issue then need to be aware. Many thanks for your time and explanation.

Cheers

Phil
2016-1-11
Use props
flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-1-2 15:28
That button isn't the only way for the bird to enter RTH mode.

Simply never pressing the button w ...

I agree in that flying our birds outside the line of site causes me to lose my nerves and don't enjoy that feeling. lol.....that's why I've decided against getting a range extender to further my anxieties. I still have yet to take my bird even close to it's max distance but when the time is ripe, I'll give her a try
2016-1-19
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh...what a great tutorial...and ALWAYS make sure to set your return-to-home altitude based upon your surroundings!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me...............
2016-1-27
Use props
Bobro
lvl.1

United Kingdom

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-1-1 19:50
I am not arguing for a complete removal of RTH - Please don't misunderstand.

I am simply statin ...

I get what your saying and i might be wrong, which if i am i agree is crap, you can override the return home if you get connected again by pressing the RTH button (cant remember if its a double press or a long press or just a press) im positive i saw them do this on the DJI tutorial videos, now if it only works after the pilot presses the RTH button and not when the signal is lost and regained then that sucks.
2016-1-28
Use props
Bobro
lvl.1

United Kingdom

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-1-1 19:42
There are three options since FW1.3 for what to do in the event of a loss of signal.

RTH / Hover  ...

yeah that 3 seconds (or less from what your saying) is really REALLY too short
2016-1-28
Use props
javierdesigns
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the tips!
2016-1-31
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Glad to help
2016-1-31
Use props
phxbird57
New
Flight distance : 104222 ft

United States

Tim once again great. I've hear so many bad stories about the RTH. I've only used mine once. Low battery.
Made it back with 27% left.
Thanks again for explaning it.
2016-2-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-1-3 08:28
That button isn't the only way for the bird to enter RTH mode.

Simply never pressing the button w ...

Paul, calm down. Your argument has some validity, but if you persist in these long, boring posts, refuting everything that everyone says, all you do is risk driving people away. Long ago I stopped ready them, because they are the same point repeated over, and over, and over.
2016-2-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-2 16:21
Your points have already been answered, earlier in the thread... Much earlier.
(and it didn't reall ...

OK, so I will go away and come back in a month. I fully expect to see this thing hit page 10 and you will be repeating the same old thing over and over again. You are not adding anything new to this argument.

What is your aim, do you intend to beat everyone over the head with your rantings until DJI change the function to suit you? For f*** sake, get a life.
2016-2-1
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

phxbird57@gmail Posted at 2016-2-2 12:45
Tim once again great. I've hear so many bad stories about the RTH. I've only used mine once. Low bat ...

Thank you! As i already mentioned, nothing scary about RTH! Just set the right altitude and you are safe
2016-2-1
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

....and I am happy with the current RTH behavior:-)
2016-2-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-2 17:28
Right now, you are guilty of doing exactly that of which you accused me and you're somewhat late to ...

"Sorry... I don't think I want to be trolled again in this thread. Thanks for trying, though."

Really, is that the best you can do, resort to the 'troll' accusation? I actually said your argument had some merit, but I retract that now.
2016-2-2
Use props
tim.hulse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72881 ft
Bermuda

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-2 02:50
Thank you! As i already mentioned, nothing scary about RTH! Just set the right altitude and you ar ...

Important question Tim. If RTH has been initiated, does pressing the RTH button a second time during the RTH ascent to the 20m minimum return height cancel the ascent or not?

The manual (1.6) is unclear. The table on page 15, row one says that you can cancel the ascending by "exiting the failsafe" - then refers you to page 26. There, it says "press this {RTH} button again to cancel this procedure".
If this is the case, then the proper solution to Paul's original "pilot out of loop" issue would be to simply press this button during the ascent. Problem is, I trust Paul (as an experienced professional) more than my ability to understand the manual - is this accurate that pressing the button immediately stops the ascent, or does the drone complete ascent and then hand control back - this is a very important distinction.
2016-2-2
Use props
tim.hulse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72881 ft
Bermuda

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-2 18:19
At any point of the RTH profile, a press of the button will cancel the RTH (assuming that you have  ...

Thanks for taking the time for a detailed reply Paul. There's definitely a hole in the procedure, for sure.
What you're talking about is just a software upgrade - I hope that DJI-TIm can open a channel between you and the developers and get this into a future firmware release.
2016-2-2
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-2 23:45
The way certain folk have responded to me pointing out this issue, one might be forgiven for thinki ...

Really good post this Paul and a long post at that !!

I do agree though that we the Pilot should have final say and control in whatever the aircraft is doing as we are responsible for its actions period.
2016-2-20
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

This is a great post but I am looking for clarification on the reference for RTH altitude?...
is it based on the altitude of the Home position (i.e.: Home position altitude + RTH altitude), or is it based on altitude at the time the RTH is executed (i.e.: current altitude + RTH altitude)?
I have seen it referred to both ways and it make a big difference. Here is the reason why I ask...
Let's say were standing on the edge of a plateau and establish our Home position and the set RTH altitude to 20 meters. We then fly our drone lateral and descend the plateau by 100 meters. Now let's says the signal is lost and RTH is triggered. If the drone then ascends to the Home position altitude plus 20 meters then all is good. However, if the drone simply ascends 20 meters from where RTH was triggered then the drone will still be 80 meters below the edge of the plateau and will crash into the plateau on its return home.
I'm hoping someone can answer this. : )

2016-2-29
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

windgate Posted at 2016-3-1 11:10
This is a great post but I am looking for clarification on the reference for RTH altitude?...
is it  ...

in this case drone will ascend to 120 m and return to home
2016-2-29
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-29 22:19

Tim, thank you for the reply. I think your examples were very helpful. I am Electrical Engineer of 30+ years and will agree that the text in the manual related to RTH is a bit subtle. Hopefully some of your examples can be added to the next revision of the user's manual.
2016-3-1
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-29 22:19

Tim, thanks for the clarification. Another question concerning RTH as it relates to POI. I have noticed a number of videos posted where pilots have established a POI where the aircraft is revolving around the POI in such a way that the signal between the aircraft and controller is possibly (or likely) lost as the line of sight is obstructed for several seconds.
Does the aircraft not revert to RTH because when executing a POI revolution it simply continues on that circular path until the pilots exits the POI mode?
2016-3-1
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

windgate Posted at 2016-3-1 13:50
Tim, thanks for the clarification. Another question concerning RTH as it relates to POI. I have no ...

That's a good question, because if flying a waypoints mission the aircraft will continue on the mission without an RC signal.

Regarding Tims reply "the drone will ascend to 120m and return to home", I think what he meant to say was it will ascend 120m from where it is to 20m above the home point (take-off altitude), not 120m above the home point.
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

windgate Posted at 2016-3-1 21:50
Tim, thanks for the clarification. Another question concerning RTH as it relates to POI. I have no ...

In POI mode if the signal lost  drone will make the circles till it run out of battery and then will go landing
2016-3-2
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-3 04:32
In POI mode if the signal lost  drone will make the circles till it run out of battery and then wi ...

Handy if you need a beer then.  Thanks.
2016-3-3
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

nigelw Posted at 2016-3-4 05:34
Handy if you need a beer then.  Thanks.

I mean anyways when it will make a circle and get back to the front side of the building the drone will catch a signal again... but yeah a beer would be nice
2016-3-3
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-3 22:48
I mean anyways when it will make a circle and get back to the front side of the building the drone ...

Great -- so it basically the aircraft goes into a POI holding pattern until either the controller regains a signal with the aircraft or the battery runs out -- in which case the aircraft will return to home. Thanks for the clarification Tim!
2016-3-4
Use props
ayya1197
New

Maldives

When I m flying over water Will it land to water if it turns turns RTH mode
2016-3-8
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

ayya1197 Posted at 2016-3-8 15:02
When I m flying over water Will it land to water if it turns turns RTH mode

It'll land where your home point is set if RTH kicks in.  If you took off from the water, that's where it'll land.
2016-3-8
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-1 02:16
Seems like it would be fairly easy to change the code in such a way that a user initiated rth would  ...

I have experienced that same thing Kneepuck.
Know exactly what you are talking about.
2016-3-8
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Made your words into a video for you DJI-Tim

2016-3-25
Use props
xtartrex
New
Flight distance : 3947 ft

China

What about descending to 20 meters if it is flying higher than that? This can definetely make it crash over trees, buildings, or cables.
2016-3-29
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Ok,  i am  confused ,  on one hand you cannot control the drone while it's assending,   on  the other if you touch throttle while assending it will return home at cutting altitude? I controls my drone while in rth mode. Including altitude adjustementnifni feel it's too low...  Never tried the other way.  I would certainly not touch it much if I have no visual contact and do not see the video feed,  but I have forced it a few times to land a few feet away from where it wanted... Alternative would be to abort rth once you are in sight and finish navigating to landing manually...
2016-5-9
Use props
werner.daehn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Read the thread, did answer almost all of my questions except for two
1) Why is there a minimum distance even? I want it to land at the Home Point precisely and always. Within a 20m radius there could be a whole lot of different terrain. I can't see an advantage, just disadvantages. When I want to land the drone where it is right now, I click and the Auto-Land button.
2) RTH and mountains. I am too scared to try it out myself but imagine I am standing on the top of a mountain and fly downhill -100m. Then trigger RTH. Will it fly 20m up and then fly into the mountain at level -80m? Or will it go up 20m, then fly a straight line towards 20m above the home point and then land?

thanks in advance
2016-6-15
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

werner.daehn@go Posted at 2016-6-15 15:26
1) Why is there a minimum dist ...

If you fly to -100m & press RTH, it'll ascend to the RTH value you've set in the app, so if you've set 30m, it'll ascend 130m to +30m & fly home.  The RTH altitude is always from the home point, which is your take off point.
2016-6-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

werner.daehn@go Posted at 2016-6-15 22:26
1) Why is there a minimum dist ...

That's the way it's programmed. And if your within 20m there's no reason at all for RTH.
2nd question answered from above post.
2016-6-15
Use props
werner.daehn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Austria

Thanks, appreciated. In one of the earlier posts it was stated RTH takes the current position altitude +20m (or whatever has been programmed). Home point altitude makes more sense.

@Ken: That's the way it is programmed ain't no answer. The there is no reason for RTH in such proximity is a better one. I am learning all of this currently and wonder if RTH is a failsafe only or a convenience function as well. I would think it could be quite convenient to let the drone land automatically so you don't have to position it properly. Might be wrong though. And I might be lazy.
2016-6-15
Use props
werner.daehn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Austria

Playing with it more, I think I got the gist of it. For a convenience function the precision is not high enough, it might land 2m away from the home point. Assuming you are not in the middle of a huge parking lot, you would always land the Inspire yourself. Hence RTH is a failsafe, not a convenience function used every flight.

Precision could be enhanced by comparing the camera signal pointing downwards in theory though. X marks the spot? But that's more a fun thought than a real request.

Thanks for your help!
2016-7-4
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

So if  the bird is 500 meters from home point and 50 meters high exactly the RTH height of 50 meters set by me, what happens if I move the sticks during the RTH? I assume moving the sticks will do nothing unless I cancel RTH?
2016-7-4
Use props
JaimeInspire
lvl.1

This information is so helpful. But I still had to work with the simulator to work out a finer point.  When I am within the 20m distance from the home point, when I press the RTH icon/button the drone lands straight down. I would have expected it to return to the starting home point first and then land. In this sense, it seems to work just like the Landing icon above it...I don't see a difference.  It seems that if you are within the 20m distance area, the then the RTH function really has no usable purpose.

Maybe I don't understand it clearly but it seems that if the instructions just stated the following it would be much clearer to me and I suppose others:

"Regardless of it's altitude (AGL), if the drone is within a 20m circle of it's recorded home point, the RTH has no purpose. Activating RTH will not return the drone to the home point.  Doing so will only bring the drone straight down for a landing.  To land the drone at a desired point, fly the drone manually to above the desired landing point and either land it manually or activate the Landing mode at that time."

Is this right? or maybe the instructions say this but I just don't see it clearly.
2016-11-11
Use props
Makokiller
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1115095 ft
United States

JaimeInspire Posted at 2016-11-12 03:05
This information is so helpful. But I still had to work with the simulator to work out a finer point ...

Within 20 meters you can see your drone. You would just bring it back yourself, you don't need RTH.
2016-11-11
Use props
Skud75
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24278 ft
Italy

Makokiller Posted at 2016-11-11 20:11
Within 20 meters you can see your drone. You would just bring it back yourself, you don't need RTH ...

Hello Boys,
i download the last MAVIC MANUAL and i read that the new distance for Landing inside the circle is 5 meter and not 20 is correct ?
2016-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules