World's second stupidest person
1315 5 2015-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

DJI on numerous instances enforces to check for flight restrictions. I guess this rocket scientist didn't get the message. Also betting that he isn't registered. Further bet that instead of making an example of him for people to learn from, he's revered a hero by friends.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-n ... cade-hawaii-n487176

2015-12-29
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-29
Use props
jeffreyfjohnson
lvl.1

United States

I would be interested to know if there was an actual TFR for the area or was this just another case of the Secret Service "not liking something" and flexing their muscle to force someone to change their plans to meet their current needs.  Please understand I am all about following the rules and stupid people need to be held accountable.  But if the FAA is going to regulate us to death and the Secret Service is going to flex their muscle to get their way then they also need to follow the rules concerning establishing TFR's.  With more and more people flying drones in authorized airspace, hopefully this guy was registered and following airspace regulations, just because someone doesn't like it isn't a valid reason to make them shut down operations.

Jeff
2015-12-29
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

And what do you disagree with? You're supposed to verify that no temporary flight restrictions are in place before flight.

After checking again, there are restrictions in place from the 18th to Jan 4th.

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_5_4411.html
2015-12-29
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

jeffreyfjohnson Posted at 2015-12-29 13:41
I would be interested to know if there was an actual TFR for the area or was this just another case  ...

Jeff, A lot of air operation companies have complained that they've lost a half a million dollars in business due to this visit.

Until someone with some sanity starts running things within the FAA , DHS and SS, the attitude is you're just one of the little people.

I've had flight plans filed weeks in advance for aerial helicopter work only to have the SS shut me down minutes before flight time. This was well before the current security issues.  Between the helicopter air time costs (non refundable), I had office space and equipment rented that I was still on the hook for. With large national events you've got to strike when the iron is hot.

2015-12-29
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Me personally, I think flying on or around traffic is not a safe thing to do.  
People might laugh, but if I come across a street, I have my drone wait for no traffic before crossing.  
Yes that sounds rather odd, but I what if the drone seized up and crashed onto on coming traffic.
So in my mind, the guy was either lying, or just was not really being careful enough to avoid issues like that.
2015-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules