Question about 30% battery strength - land or keep flying
1277 10 2015-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

Hey guys, I have a question. I have been doing a lot of research on these forums and there seems to be a lot of corollation with crashes around 30% battery strength. When flying are we supposed to bring the drone back to landing when we get to 30% to avoid it dropping out of the sky? If this is the case we really aren't getting anywhere close to the 20+ minutes of flight time as advertised.

How in the world are people getting such long flights as shown in some of these videos they are taking?
2015-12-30
Use props
nigelwilkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

They get longer flights by taking more risks.  It's your choice, but mine is always to land & change the battery at 30%.  Maybe when you get more experience you can draw it out a bit further, but it only takes one crash to reduce your advantage to zero.  For example, it might suddenly find itself flying into the wind & not have enough power left to make it home.
Edit: Also, are the videos you see continuous or edited from several clips?  20 minutes of continuous video seems like it might be a little boring to say the least.
2015-12-30
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

That is a good question. Some of these videos are 30+ minutes longer which I honestly didn't even think could have been edited. I am sure that it such a pita to get the bird back to the point where you had to land so you can continue the video. With all the technological   advances I hope one day flights will be longer than 15 minutes for such an expensive device. I did see that when flying yesterday (after I reviewed the flight logs) there were some gusts of wind up to 27 miles per hour and it had a real adverse effect on the battery as it had to fly against the wind (so I get your drift ).
2015-12-30
Use props
Jack Fedele
lvl.2

United States

Land, change battery, go back up.
2015-12-30
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

it depends of your configuration if you set landing at 30% then quad will land

2015-12-30
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-30
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

So this seems to be all of the factors and just hope that I am flying on a perfect day. For the flight time I guess I can get one or two more batteries so I can fly longer
2016-1-1
Use props
blaine.burnett
lvl.2
United States

sifu128 Posted at 2016-1-1 22:31
So this seems to be all of the factors and just hope that I am flying on a perfect day. For the flig ...

Thats what I did. Now my problem is I have to fly enough so that I don't go home with full batteries. I don't always know how long I'm going to fly from one weekend to the next and I don't want to leave them full for a whole week. Do I only charge 2 and hope I don't want to fly more than a half hour or do I charge 4 and spend 20 minutes hovering trying to drain the ones I didn't use to below 60%. I hope that battery technology advances to the point where this is no longer an issue.
2016-1-2
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

sifu128 Posted at 2016-1-2 04:31
So this seems to be all of the factors and just hope that I am flying on a perfect day. For the flig ...

I believe flight time also depends somewhat on how you are flying: hovering consumes more power than forward flight. Typically, averaging over many flights; I'm getting about 16 to 17 minutes per battery (returning to Home with 30% warning).
2016-1-2
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

I was reading on here the other day that someone said if you are flying around 30-60m you will have a much different effect than flying at 120 due to wind factors, etc. I am conducting some tests to see what I can get under each type of conditions per day when I fly.
2016-1-2
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

sifu128 Posted at 2016-1-2 18:23
I was reading on here the other day that someone said if you are flying around 30-60m you will have  ...

Just be careful if your outward bound flight is with the wind...I'm not sure if the algorithm takes it into account for the return journey/flight time remaining calculation.  Maybe you'll be able to confirm one way or the other.  Maybe I'll test it for myself.
2016-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules