Do i have to unlock gimbal before powering on to prevent motor overload?
4004 5 2015-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tankfarms
lvl.2

I always feel it's safer this way.

I remember when I got my Phantom 3 and I left the power on with the plastic gimbal lock in place, and then I got a "motor overload" warning. Since then, I became more careful.

Now I have the OSMO and feel like i should do the same.

Any thoughts?

2015-12-30
Use props
LMahesa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3520 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

There is an initial test at startup to see if the gimbal is free. If it isn't, it is disabled until you unlock it all AND rotate the base. That rotation triggers a re-check. Whilst disabled, the motors aren't active.
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

yes, you should definitely unlock all axis's of the gimbal before turning it on. But there is protection built in.
2015-12-30
Use props
LMahesa
lvl.2
  • >>>
Indonesia

DJI-Ken, what's the recommended procedure for connecting the USB? Getting the cable into the camera is a bit fiddly with it swinging free, and I'm leery of doing so while the gimbal is active. Am I wrong in thinking that?

So far I've been sleeping/turning off, locking, attaching the lens cap, connecting the cord to the camera, then connecting to the computer after a short wait. Is this not good for the motors?
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

LMahesa Posted at 2015-12-31 08:27
DJI-Ken, what's the recommended procedure for connecting the USB? Getting the cable into the camera  ...

It's better to use SD card adapter or reader to copy the files from micro SD card. If you use the usb cable, you need to turn on the Osmo to enable the data transmission.  Since the port is at the back of the camera, you need to lock the roll and pitch axis before you connect the cable. The only possible issue would be the overheating of camera and the anoying D-D sound during the process, so it's better to use the micro sd card adapter or reader.
2015-12-30
Use props
LMahesa
lvl.2
  • >>>
Indonesia

Okay, thanks. I'll do that from now on.
2015-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now