38259 646 2015-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-1-6 11:36
Hey Geebax,  
I want to ask a genuine question. Apologies in advance if I'm out of line, because I d ...

No, it is a fair question and no, I do not work for DJI. My position on all this is not hard to explain. I believe Geofencing is inevitable, so we should get used to it, but at the same time, while it is in development, use the opportunity to have input to the process. We have been invited to do this by Brendan Shulma on the first page of this thread. And while some parts of the proposal are not well thought out, it is not finalised as yet, so I hold hope it can be improved.

I have also been around long enough to realise that controls over new technology are always lagging behind the technology and there is no point at all in getting my knickers knotted over something I cannot control. The best you can hope for is to be able to have input to the regulation process.
2016-1-5
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

Hey Thumb. It should bother everybody because it is the root cause of the huge number of potential issues we will all face.

I ask a simple questions..,,
- What is Wrong With our Phantoms and Inspire's today?
- Why is DJI trying to fix something that is not broken.

I would rather they spend the man effort in trying to fix the Camera shake bug, which Will Please a large number of users rather then implement geofence that is Going to Displease a very large number of people..
2016-1-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

quanthonytrang Posted at 2016-1-6 11:17
The server going down is a valid point. If the server crashes, everyone is grounded.
Now think of ...

I realise that you are probably saying this tongue-in-cheek, but the zones are going to be hard coded into either the aircraft firmware or the DJI Go App. As it is quite common for people to fly using an alternate app, that makes it much more likely that the zones are in the aircraft firmware. If that is the case, and you are in the field without Internet connection, they cannot suddenly make a zone into a no-fly zone, as there is no mechanism for communication.
2016-1-5
Use props
The Bat Drone
lvl.2

United Kingdom

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-1-6 00:36
Hey Geebax,  
I want to ask a genuine question. Apologies in advance if I'm out of line, because I d ...

I would also like to know this and I've made suggestions to this, You've debated a lot of people on here, however you haven't offered anything constructive apart from just roll over over and take it.

And in regards to emailing the proper lines. I don't see email some random DJI account not knowing who reads it and even if they care. At least on the this forum the whole community can see your concerns but also join in on a healthy debate.

Also staff members that are active on here can see all of our worries but I'm sure theres a few that are just staying quiet and hopefully taking this all onboard.
2016-1-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The Bat Drone Posted at 2016-1-6 12:09
I would also like to know this and I've made suggestions to this, You've debated a lot of people o ...

What you actually mean is that I have not agreed with your position, therefore from your point of view I have not offered any suggestion you like?

Get off yourself. I have offered criticism of this proposal in a number of ways. I don't want it any more than you do, but I am at least realistic enough to recognise it will most like happen and there is squat you can do to stop it.

As for emailing 'some random DJI account', have you actually taken the time to read what Brendan said back in post #15: 'This is why we are doing a beta.  Send your feedback so we can improve the user experience while addressing safety concerns.  Thanks!'

If you have been around here for longer than the blink of an eye, you will recognise this as one of the extremely rare cases where someone from DJI has come onto the forum and offered you a chance to have input into anything they do.

2016-1-5
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-6 07:49
OK, have it your way. let's forget that this is a proposed system, not even implemented and they a ...

Geebax you keep saying this is a "proposed system"......, well..

- Proposal is a "fancy" corporate word usually meaning "we are putting this in place whether you like it or not".

- If it's not set in stone then why are we going to be "testing" a proposed system?... I didn't buy a +AU$2000 bird to be used by somebody else as a beta test rig.

2016-1-5
Use props
The Bat Drone
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-6 01:30
What you actually mean is that I have not agreed with your position, therefore from your point of  ...

Not just my opinion Mr GeeBax the vast opinion of most users on here. If the world was full of people like, we would get no where !!!

I shall not just send one email off and that be the end of it, I'd rather see this thread as the most commented, to get our concerns heard and to make sure they are seen and they understand the gravity of how much we hate this idea.

I understand they have probably invested to much money and theres no going back but lets make it heard what we really want changed about the idea.

You haven't offered any clear constructive feedback and again haven't been able to compile a list of pro's. You state you are against the idea and you've sent an email...Well done you !!! Heres your pat on the back.

However don't come on here, telling us to basically stop moaning. I don't want this to ever go away until we get what we want. And if there are loads of people out there that love this idea then please let them speak, but all i've seen is the majority against it so far.
2016-1-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I will bow out of this at this stage, the two of you are getting far too personal. I will also say neither of you have offered squat in the way of constructive comments, so it is a bit rich criticising me for it. All you are doing is wailing about it, which in the end will achieve nothing. Good luck with that.

Oh, and by the way, staff members of DJI who come on here are excellent at offering platitudes and solving repair or shipping queries, but do not have anything to do with policy or development. But keep whining anyway.

BTW Bat Drone: 'Not just my opinion Mr GeeBax the vast opinion of most users on here.' Wow, you really believe that? Have you ever heard of the loss of credibility of a debater in slipping from 'some' to 'all'?
2016-1-5
Use props
The Bat Drone
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I wouldn't offer purely constructive feedback because i am against the idea completely, however If you had read my posts properly,  you would see that I have raised the specific concerns over this point and would like to see these feedback to DJI, which i'm sure has.

Sorry you can't handle a debate which plenty of people feel strongly about, and yes I agree this forum is great and the DJI folks do a fantastic job.

All the best
2016-1-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The Bat Drone Posted at 2016-1-6 13:14
I wouldn't offer purely constructive feedback because i am against the idea completely, however If y ...

No, I am not unable to handle the debate, I don't have the time to engage in pointless arguments going nowhere. See Dilbert's Law on arguments...

One final point, there is a unfortunate tendency on many of these self-help forums that when someone argues in favour of the manufacturer to label them as 'fanboys' or call them 'company stooges' or similar. As soon as I see that, I recognise I am dealing with a drongo and walk away. Draw your own conclusions from that.
2016-1-5
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Australia

Hey Geebax, Et All.

Its Not Personal, actually Far From it!.... We are all Very Very Passionate about the Hobby we Love so much!!... For me my two passions come togather - Photography & Flying Model RC.

I May Not Agree With What You Have To Say, But I'll Strongly Defend Your Right To Say It!

At the same time, I'm not one for letting somebody walk all over me without me putting up a fair fight.
So Let's Get back to Topic and stop squabbling!...

As far as constructive feedback is concerned, Like I said, It currently has all the hallmarks of an ill planned Piss-up in a Brewery, However...

If DJI wanted to implement this - I would currently offer this as Constructive Feedback.;

> Keep all RED No-Fly Zones as they are. I think we would all agree they are there for a very good reason. (airports, Mil Installations, Stadiums, other high sensitive areas etc..)
> Configure the YELLOW zones, so that you can fly in them, after ticking a check box with a warning/message that you are flying in a yellow zone.  - Like in the current Go App when you try to fly above 120m/400ft.
> If you accept the Check Box in a Yellow zone then In the background get the Go App to send a quick auto ping to the Server to mark that you/your P3 is flying in that location. (Cache the ping, if a network is not available at the time, to send it later) But DONT stop the Flight.

Key Here is the Ability to fly uninterrupted, safely and within Legal Limits. - There is No Legal requirement today, anywhere in the world currently in place, that says that I CANNOT fly spontaniously, within regulation, in a completly open area, that I have permission from the owner, with 5 miles of open areas around and no property in a Yellow Zone with no cell connetivity.. BUT Geofence as currently being implemented by DJI IS STOPPING That Spontanous Flight for NO reason whatsoever! - That is my Real issue!

2016-1-5
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Australia

Brendan Schulma Posted at 2016-1-2 13:47
This is why we are doing a beta.  Send your feedback so we can improve the user experience while a ...

Hi Brendan - Really pleased and actually quite impressed that you are keeping a watch on this topic.
You asked for Feedback - Ill post it again:

I would currently offer this as Constructive Feedback.;

> Keep all RED No-Fly Zones as they are. I think we would all agree they are there for a very good reason. (airports, Mil Installations, Stadiums, other high sensitive areas etc..)
> Configure the YELLOW zones, so that you can fly in them, after ticking a check box with a warning/message that you are flying in a yellow zone.  - Like in the current Go App when you try to fly above 120m/400ft.
> If you accept the Check Box in a Yellow zone then In the background get the Go App to send a quick auto ping to the Server to mark that you/your P3 is flying in that location. (Cache the ping, if a network is not available at the time, to send it later) But DONT stop the Flight.

Key Here is the Ability to fly uninterrupted, safely and within Legal Limits. - There is No Legal requirement today, anywhere in the world currently in place, that says that I CANNOT fly spontaniously, within regulation, in a completly open area, that I have permission from the owner, with 5 miles of open areas around and no property in a Yellow Zone with no cell connetivity.. BUT Geofence as currently being implemented by DJI IS STOPPING That Spontanous* Flight for NO reason whatsoever! - That is THE Real issue! and the reason why the Majority of users will be Dissatisfied with GeoFencing unless it is changed.

*Some of the BEST Photos/Videos I have Ever captured on the Phantom3 (as a photographer) are the Spontanious Shots!.

These include shots of moments when the Lighting is Perfect!........ Picture the Magical Moments when the sun is a Golden semicircle above the horizon Just Setting. - You have less than 3-5minutes to capture it!- Moments Like These CANNOT Be Planned in advance - most of the time these moments are in remote locations (many shaded yellow) with no cell/network connectivity....,

...... I never planned to be there, even earlier in the day... But I’mThere Now! I’m possibly NEVER going to get the chance to capture this fabulous Sunset again!.... I’m ready to capture the Magic with my 4K camera on the P3......, Im within Regulations and The Battries are Fully Charged and Im Ready to Go!........, I Try To Take-Off.....,  But Wait, I Need to Authorise........,  I Have NO Network/Cell reception......., And the P3 Just Will Not Fly!........!! Picture the tear in my eye as I watch this Magical Sunset fade away, with nothing to capture it except the shitty camera on my phone!   

2016-1-5
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-5 15:50
No, it is a fair question and no, I do not work for DJI. My position on all this is not hard to ex ...

you say geo-fencing is inevitable.... and in some aspects I agree. but who is going to enforce it and who has that legal authority?
In the US we are still arguing over rather or not the FAA has the right to enforce models period.  
Trying to enforce somthing like that is going to be a legal battle and logistical nightmare. not only from a techniiqal  standpoint but from a legal one as well....

I understand airspace need to be controlled, but thats not DJI's job. and for them to try and force a system on the consumer without guidance from an undisputed legal authority ... thats premature at best.

There are laws coming regarding drones.... But unless we are talking about national security locations are other highly sensitive locations.  a geofence is not the answer in my opinion.

all DJI is going to do is regulate themselves out of the market.  and reason is that other manufacterers aren't going to incorporate such a evasive system and they don't  have to by law.

you can over complicate an issue all you want to... but in the end it all comes back to personal accountability...
In My opinion what we need  is registration and for drones to emit an electronic  ID #  just like planes...

its simple it serves the purpose and requires no extensive computer network nor cell towers.   it can also be required of all drones and not just those manufactured by any certain company.

just my 2 cents

2016-1-5
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Australia

Alaskan Tides - Agreed 100%
2016-1-5
Use props
Flipperman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4224925 ft
United Kingdom

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-1-6 02:48
Hey Geebax, Et All.

Its Not Personal, actually Far From it!.... We are all Very Very Passionate ab ...

Good post -  sounds pragmatic to me.

If DJI are doing this for safety and to show some due diligence to the authorities - I would have thought that would satisfy that.

I haven't got a problem with registering my drone and ticking a box (like the altitude one). If there's an 'incident' and the authorities request data from DJI then I have the flight log as well - if I was doing something wrong - that's my fault.  

It shouldn't be reliant on immedia Internet connectivity for the reasons outlined. It's highly unlikely that a user is not subsequently going to have his tablet / device within connectivity and the cached data can be uploaded then (the fact that I've ticked 'yes' to understanding it's a yellow zone etc).

Personal data being held - well, if you have ever bought anything on the Internet then you're screwed anyway - it's a fact of life that your data is out there and we're beholden to companies to secure that data and not make it available if we have requested that. Some are good at it.....others less so. I'm not saying I'm happy about that but if you're buying on the Internet today - you have to accept that risk or at least be aware of it.

DJI are a multi billion £ company (I suspect) - they need to protect their sales and the above post suggestion goes a long way to satisfy authorities that they are showing due diligence - without pissing off its owners tooooo much. It's not going to be perfect - but, for me, if it doesn't stop me flying (if I accept the risks myself) then I'm happy with it.

Ref the moaning and bitching on a forum - it's a forum, not a classroom. There are going to be all sorts of people from all sorts of backgrounds - which I think is a positive for this 'community'.  For a more formal approach - perhaps direct email is best. There's bound to be a tipping point where DJI consider it a big enough issue to warrant a multi page thread and then when it tips to 10 pages of ranting.

Anyway....the sun is up, the mist has cleared - time for a bit of flying
2016-1-6
Use props
ejrossouw
New

United Kingdom

Hi all. My first post. I think this will be a nice tool to have if it is properly implemented. I have a PPL, been an avid RC model flyer once and fully understand why there should be some measures taken to "guide" those more adventurous casual flyers to behaving more responsibly with their toys. If you do this for business you have to obtain an equivalent qualification to flying commercially. Regardless, how many videos out there show pure irresponsible and plain stupid behaviour from so many "boys with expensive toys" with no regard to safe flying e.g. maintaing visual contact at all times etc? Sharing airspace is not exactly like stupidly parking in the middle of a road as the consequences of airstrikes etc could be catastrophic with huge implications to life. I believe RC flyers with large 1/4 scale models and model jets aleady have to comply with some serious rules. I live in close proximity of two airfields (Stansted and a smaller local aerodrome) and appreciate having a view and some brilliant software assistance. As for implementing all restrictions in firmware, I assume that will only for some cases be possible and maps will be downloaded dynamically as you will need some serious storage and processing to manage it all. How that will happen without internet connectivity in a grass paddy, I definitely don't know. Let us hope it won't become a hobby killer, but enhances our flying experiences. After all we don't want to go and endanger people around us. Let us also not forget this is only a response to those who have shown time and again their inability to adhere to common sense safe flying principles. Also, it can only be of great help to avoid getting into deeper into trouble if the technology plays up and you end up with a rogue drone. Hopefully it will aim to return home safely and also stay out of danger zones.
PS - I just aquired a P3P and love the experience and ease with which I can explore new photographic possibilities.
2016-1-6
Use props
aliios
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495735 ft
Greece

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-5 14:10
Hi ,
Please don't be worried . The green areas will only have  warnings shown in the DJI Go App . ...

Dear, DJI-Patrick,

The problem and my concerns in the case of Cyprus, isn't the green and yellow areas. If you look carefully the map i post, the problem is that the whole country is under a RED No Fly Zone.

This practically means that no one that own a phantom 3 or Inspire 1 can even start the motors. If someone from Cyprus want to fly, must travel to another country !!!!!

The paradox here is that the goverment of Cyprus allow the flights in the island and the ministery of transportation - Civil aviation of Cyprus department, publish a low about the use and terms of  drone flights in November of 2015.

So we have the oxymoron that DJI through its geofencing make forbidden something that the goverment of Cyprus allow.
Is DJI decision over the decision and willing of a goverment????? I hope not.

I am sure that in this case the map is wrong and finally DJI will correct the map according to the reality, but the example of Cyprus shows very clear that the geofencing map the DJI publish most propably have not accurate data on it and the same problem will happenend in a lot of cases in different countries, not so obvius as the Cyprus example but inaccurate enough to bring problems to users- customers of DJI.
2016-1-6
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-1-5 20:40
But Sir....., In the nicest possible way....., You DONT GET THE POINT!.... You have missed mine and ...

Sorry , my mistake ! Yes , in that case , you'll need a mobile phone or a tablet with celluar to unlock the place .
2016-1-6
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

The Bat Drone Posted at 2016-1-5 20:44
You have missed the entire point of what I just asked you ? I understand that you can pre authoris ...

Sorry , my fault !  I totally understand your concerns . Please don't be worried , most Yellow areas have phone signal . And you can unlock 30 yellow areas at the same time in case of the no phone signal issue . You ideas make sense  and I'll report your concerns to R&D .  Thank you for pointing this out !
2016-1-6
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

C_LUU Posted at 2016-1-5 22:39
My home town is almost all yellow and the green parts are actually within the yellow areas?

Ther ...

In that case , you'll need a mobile phone or a tablet with celluar to unlock the place . And you can also unlock 30 areas before flight at the same time .
2016-1-6
Use props
The Bat Drone
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-6 13:01
Sorry , my fault !  I totally understand your concerns . Please don't be worried , most Yellow are ...

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm glad our concerns are being forwarded to relevant departments. Especially when some people have made mention you have no say, which I thought strange but it's great it's getting through

At times the post have become heated, but I feel there are a lot of passionate people out there who just want their hobby protected and not made into a 'Big deal'.

I am fairly new to the game, however once I saw what was coming in, especially in the current format, I recognised a bad idea. I have raised my specific concerns over this idea which have been shared amongst my peers on here.

I would like to see the current NFZ in place which make sense to me.

In 'Yellow' areas I would like to just have a warning come up on the phone, telling me to be cautious. Just like what you have for the green areas. I just don't see the point in the self authorisations with a credit card or phone number

If my second point can't be implemented, then I stress that the current 3 days has to be extended to a month. I understand about pop up areas, but again people can still activate them on the day (if they are lucky enough to have signal)

But thanks again Patrick.
2016-1-6
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

The Bat Drone Posted at 2016-1-6 21:35
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm glad our concerns are being forwarded to relevant  ...

Thank you for your suggestions !
2016-1-7
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flipperman Posted at 2016-1-2 06:26
I've just noticed that authorisations are only valid for 3 days !

Complete madness. Flying with a  ...

Bingo.....they keep this up, all the NEW hobbyists (like myself) will completely quit the hobby and these company's will never get another penny from me....hope they plan on selling stock options soon, because they are destroying this huge market they created.
2016-1-7
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2016-1-2 09:08
Pretty much my sentiments as well.  If your quad is flying well and you are happy with it, leave i ...

DJI will cut their own throats...let's see how this plays out.    Their arrogance of bein #1 in consumer quadcopter manufacturing is going to their head and it will be their downfall if they play this stupidly.
2016-1-7
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

buzzcbr@gmail.c Posted at 2016-1-2 08:40
And all of the above is the reason why I havent updated my firmware for a while now (since the flyar ...

(1) You refuse to upgrade because (a) everything works fine (b) you don't want to be stifled
But.....

You log on one day and there's a message that says there is an update available and you MUST upgrade or you'll never be able to start your engines.

Then what?

This is not a conspiracy issue. I'm all for safety and I'm all for following the rules.
Also, what happens to those (like me) who own devices that are not cellular? If we're "in the field" as opposed to sitting at home, we will have no way to unlock anything on the spur of the moment.

Or do I have it all wrong?

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2016-1-7
Use props
The Bat Drone
lvl.2

United Kingdom

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2016-1-7 13:57
(1) You refuse to upgrade because (a) everything works fine (b) you don't want to be stifled
But.. ...

Hi Aburfefl,

These have been the main concerns for us. A lot of us our sensible flyers, understand the law already regarding our drone flying and adhere to them. However a few sour eggs have spoiled this for us by attracting the attention of the media and hysterical members on the public.

DJI will say you can pre-authrosise, but you don't know when your going to be in that field of yours and again one of the main concerns raised over this issue.
2016-1-7
Use props
C_LUU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 481988 ft
Australia

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-6 21:03
In that case , you'll need a mobile phone or a tablet with celluar to unlock the place . And you c ...

Hi DJI-Patrick,

Thank you for your response, a few notes;

1. You need to alter the tablet and mobile phone compatibility list to exclude non cellular devices - Immediately as the maps have shown that any populous/civilized place is smothered in yellow and people are buying these devices as we speak!

2. Why are DJI requesting a phone number or credit card details in order to unlock these zones? That is a serious invasion of privacy and identity suicide giving those details to a Chinese company. a simple sign in to the DJI account would suffice wouldn't it? every drone is registered to a DJI account so why not just make it a sign in?

I have no issue with authorizing flights as I follow the rules and abide by the law, i consider myself a 'good hobbyist' which 99% of droners would be, but i wont be giving my personal details such as mobile phone number or credit card details, that is honestly ridiculous given social media, DJI accounts, ect ect are out there!

i don't think DJI are shooting themselves in the foot, i think they have blown both there legs off, especially given the caliber of alternatives about to hit the market.
2016-1-7
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-4 20:40
I deal with people's credit cards details all the time, but it does not mean I try to find out any ...

The FAA registration process didn't ask for a Credit Card, why the hell should DJI be asking for one?!
2016-1-7
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-5 07:10
Hi ,
Please don't be worried . The green areas will only have  warnings shown in the DJI Go App . ...

...unless you don't have internet access where you want to unlock it!  Many of us only have wifi devices without a cell plan and I'm sure DJI isn't investigating the yellow area to see if there is wifi reception to unlock them.............and, assuming that a consumer KNOWS where they want to take flight and pictures prior to leaving their home is presumptuous and absolutely ludicrous.  I get my best footage on spur of the moment thoughts as I'm passing by a nice area...if I pull it out and it is a yellow area that I AM allowed to fly in, but there is no wifi service to authorize, I'm screwed.

This is NOT the proper way to implement this.  The definition of yellow appears to be too broad and DJI really needs to clearly define what yellow means.   I'll bet you 110000:1 that 80% of your yellows should be green.
2016-1-7
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-1-5 21:48
Hey Geebax, Et All.

Its Not Personal, actually Far From it!.... We are all Very Very Passionate ab ...

Key Here is the Ability to fly uninterrupted, safely and within Legal Limits. - There is No Legal requirement today, anywhere in the world currently in place, that says that I CANNOT fly spontaniously, within regulation, in a completly open area, that I have permission from the owner, with 5 miles of open areas around and no property in a Yellow Zone with no cell connetivity.. BUT Geofence as currently being implemented by DJI IS STOPPING That Spontanous Flight for NO reason whatsoever! - That is my Real issue!

Well said and couldn't agree more....this is the issue I suspect most folks have and I really hope DJi is taking notice and not forcing a complete lockout of flight until an internet connection can be made...that is crazy.
2016-1-7
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-6 08:03
In that case , you'll need a mobile phone or a tablet with celluar to unlock the place . And you c ...

Force me to get a tablet that needs a cellular service contract and I'll immediately sell my Phantom3 and you'll never have me as a customer again....DID YOU HEAR THAT?!!?!

Wow, what a great marketing idea...completely offend your current customer base and severely limit your future sales due to the overzealous method of implementing this geocaching.   There are more appropriate ways to implement this and I really hope you are investing the time to understand and utilize these methods before this goes LIVE.

2016-1-7
Use props
rskardon
lvl.2

United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-1-7 22:58
The FAA registration process didn't ask for a Credit Card, why the hell should DJI be asking for o ...

Yes it did...
2016-1-7
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ah...I stand corrected.  I forgot that even though I get refunded my $5, I still needed to provide my credit card and get reimbursed.

I wasn't too happy about that situation, either, but figured the government already has access all my info anyway.  
2016-1-7
Use props
jeffreyfjohnson
lvl.1

United States

I spoke with an aviation lawyer this morning concerning this very topic.  He explained to me why this has been done, it was done by DJI to protect themselves.  There are, unfortunately, people who do not follow the rules/law and fly their sUAS when and where they want.  Some of these people do not have much money or property that isn't worth very much so suing them in the event of a mishap will not net very much financial reward.  However, DJI has much deeper pockets than most of us and a financial win over would be much higher.  So DJI has implemented GEOFENCING to protect their financial liability and bottom line.  When something happens, and we all know it will one day, DJI can either say none of their sUAS' were responsible because there weren't any flying in the area at the time of the disaster due to GEOFENCING they implemented.  Or they can say "this person was flying in that part of the airspace at the time of the disaster" and now the FAA has a person to look at for liability.  So when the disaster happens we will either thank DJI for ensuring it wasn't one of the responsible people or thank DJI for telling the FAA and federal government it could not have been one of their sUAS' or thank DJI for pointing out which idiot wasn't paying attention to what he was doing.  Will it cause us some inconvenience and frustration, of course, nothing is ever going to be perfect for everybody all the time every time, we just have to learn how to live with what we have.  Again, if you find the DJI GEOFENCING an invasion of your privacy/right to fly/ability to film then I would suggest BUY SOMETHING ELSE.

For DJI, a suggestion for the authorization interface:
   Something within the app which would allow the operator the ability to submit a request for authorization and the app would fill in all the required information and submit using the phone/tablets network interface.  Of course if the operator did not have a network interface then the process would require the operator to plan a little further in advance.

Thanks,
Jeff
2016-1-7
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

I think everyone is missing the real point here. These machines are REMOTELY PILOTED AIRCRAFT.

Why is important that you state that you and only you were flying in said location at said time?
- BECAUSE THE BIRD CAN FALL AND DO DAMAGE and noone will stop you from running away and not take responsability from what you've done.

This is not different from putting a label on your drone with your details.

If you break a law (like a lot of stupid people have been doing) there must be something that connects the fallen drone with the pilot.

I'm not familiar with laws about flying drones in other countries (or what to do in case of accident) but at least here in Chile, any drone above 1kg must be registered and you have to get insurance in case of accident. If the drone is above 4kg, you have to request autorization from the closes airport for EVERY SINGLE flight, even in your own backyard.

I don't know why you wouldn't "sign" your flight record.
2016-1-7
Use props
alirz1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Im in Montreal,Canada. Its seriously ridiculous, the way this zone authorization is being implemented. There should be no reason for 3 day validation.
As it stands right now, almost half of Montreal and all surrounding areas are yellow zones.

This is total BS and the whole idea needs to be revisited.
Once a yellow zone is authorized, it should stay authorized.

Im visiting the island of "isla Mujeres" in Mexico next month. While the geofencing is not implemented yet, that entire island and the ocean around it all yellow!!!!! FOR WHAT REASON.. There are no airports or anything there...These maps need to be revised.

Please, dont kill this hobby by introducing these non sense zones authorizations.....
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-1-7 23:22
Force me to get a tablet that needs a cellular service contract and I'll immediately sell my Phanto ...

Hi . You will not need a device with a cellular device if you unlock the areas before flight .  
2016-1-8
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-8 12:22
Hi . You will not need a device with a cellular device if you unlock the areas before flight .

He will need Wi-Fi acces though?
Or can he authorize zones on his computer and transfer the authorization via memory card or USB?
2016-1-8
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

alirz1 Posted at 2016-1-7 14:56
Im in Montreal,Canada. Its seriously ridiculous, the way this zone authorization is being implemente ...

Would you make yourself responsible for other person failure in case you sell your drone?
2016-1-8
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

LordNeo Posted at 2016-1-8 13:25
Would you make yourself responsible for other person failure in case you sell your drone?

Dont give the next person your phone/pad and/or login details
2016-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules