Vigilante Trolls
1597 12 2015-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136946 ft
United States

Does it bug anyone else when an online vigilante chimes in to scold someone that flying outside LOS "is against the law and puts harmless people in danger!!"...

I was on YouTube researching antenna upgrades and literally EVERY video had numerous comments from these trolls.   Funniest part is, the people in the videos were literally flying over nothing but woods or corn fields, testing the range of these upgrades.  So if you are one of these do-gooders, please get a life and mind your own business.  

2015-12-31
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

So when someone flies out of sight, collides with a helicopter causing it to crash & kill it's occupants, you'll be ok with that & won't mind stricter regulation & enforcement from the authorities?...because that last part will happen, just as they've brought in registration in the US.
2016-1-1
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-1 20:26
So when someone flies out of sight, collides with a helicopter causing it to crash & kill it's occup ...

I don't condone flying a drone over a populated areas, over stadiums, near airports/aircrafts or in a reckless manner whatsoever.  

Just because you can see (more accurately, BARELY SEE) your drone doesn't mean you're being safe or are aware of your surroundings.  Especially when you're too preoccupied staring at your iPhone to get that "perfect video/pic."  

2016-1-1
Use props
lotus1235
lvl.2

United States

So when was the last time a heli crashed because a drone hit it?
2016-1-2
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

lotus1235@comca Posted at 2016-1-2 11:22
So when was the last time a heli crashed because a drone hit it?

As far as I know, never.  But that's not the point, is it.  Up until last year no-one had crashed their drone onto the Whitehouse...now there's a big exclusion zone that wasn't there before.

I agree, most of the BS regulations are unfounded & often unfair, but the point is, when someone crashes or causes any kind of problem for the general public, it always creates more regulation...regulation that will never be removed.

You may be really safe flying FPV & personally I don't see a problem with it.  Unfortunately for every one of you, there's a thousand other "pilots" who haven't got the first clue about what they're doing.  Before you know it you'll need a licence to fly which will involve various tests of knowledge & ability. That in itself isn't a major deal for me, but there's usually great costs attached together with the possibility of being banned for breaching their over-restrictive regulations.

The government are usually very happy to take your money for licencing purposes, all you need to do is give them an excuse.
2016-1-2
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-1-2 05:29
But you DO condone any random yahoo flying his Cessna or Ultralight, or hell even a real pilot in  ...

Drones have a much higher chance of crashing, partly because the pilot has a lot less feedback about what's happening with the aircraft compared to when they're sat inside it.
2016-1-2
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Anyway, my main point is, the people pointing out what they think is wrong aren't do gooders or trolls, they're just people concerned about the implications of the actions of others...the vigilante's are "minding their own business", because it is their business.

Would you let a drunk get into his car to drive home?  does it make you a troll for protesting?  
2016-1-2
Use props
Jellybean
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578543 ft
United Kingdom

Plus I think there is a lot of people who are scared about the cameras on the drones!
2016-1-2
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It does not annoy me. Its to be expected.. I do not agree with people flying out of LOS but its their choice at the end of the day. It will only bring more regulation though.. I also find any video of flying distances as boring as watching paint dry.. I see no point or fun in it. Anyone can fly in a straight line, even my gran. Its just the most basic of basic flying.

Me personally use it to take video and photos that require pricise staging so its always within close LOS.
2016-1-2
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-2 07:08
As far as I know, never.  But that's not the point, is it.  Up until last year no-one had crashed  ...

Mark my words,  the next step in regulation will be a requirement to have a spotter present if you are using a drone for any type of aerial photography.  

Within the last year, the Michigan State  Police was the first police agency in the nation to be granted permission by the FAA to use a sUAV.  MSP went out and bought a Aeryon Skyranger ($150,000).  If you aren't familiar with that model, it's a military quad the size of a Phantom 3 and is solely controlled by a GS type program on a tablet.  It has a FLiR, etc.  

Here's the catch,  the FAA gave them permission to use the sUAV but requires them to operate it ONLY with team of 2, one pilot and an Observer.  Oh yeah, AND they must maintain LOS!!

Keep in mind, this is a State Police Department that is operating a $150,000 MILITARY GRADE sUAV that the general public can't buy.  Not Joe Blow who can't figure out how to update the firmware on his new P3P.

So, if the FAA imposed this rule on a law enforcement agency, it'll be coming to us as well.  

2016-1-2
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

0DRK3RT Posted at 2016-1-2 16:09
Mark my words,  the next step in regulation will be a requirement to have a spotter present if you ...

I'm not sure...I don't fully understand the way regulations come about in the US, but in the UK they generally make the police a lot more accountable than the general public, partly because they have to be seen to be setting an example & partly to prevent holes appearing in prosecutions.

The FAA's equivalent in the UK, the CAA, are a lot less aggressive in their policy making, responding to real problems more than potential ones.  So generally, if there's no problem they won't change much.  Unfortunately, with the cost of drones coming down, there will be more people going out & crashing, or flying where they really shouldn't.  Already a child in the UK has lost an eye to a drone, because "no-one warned us of the dangers".  People are generally ignorant of the danger when things are sold as toys.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-34936739
2016-1-2
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-2 11:28
I'm not sure...I don't fully understand the way regulations come about in the US, but in the UK the ...

Btw, glad you didn't collide with a helicopter in your "Long Distance WayPoint Mission" video on YouTube.  Flying out of LOS is against the law and you could've killed an innocent farmer or little Timmy on the soccer field!!!   . JK... Just say in' though.
2016-1-2
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

0DRK3RT Posted at 2016-1-2 18:48
Btw, glad you didn't collide with a helicopter in your "Long Distance WayPoint Mission" video on Y ...

I've never flown further than 500m away or 120m altitude...I'm not Nigel Ward.  Besides that, did he have a spotter with him?
Here's one of mine...

2016-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules