Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
iPhone 6 Issues (battery drain)
123Next >
12124 113 2016-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spudey
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Folks.

2 days ago I updated to the latest firmware on my Phantom 3 standard and took it for a test flight around the yard. Phantom and controller batteries were fully charged and my iPhone was around 70% at takeoff.

The flight lasted for 12 minutes and as soon as i landed my phone gave me the "10% low battery warning", so i exited the app and saw only 1% iPhone battery followed by phone shutting down. Lucky I landed when i did. Plugged phone into the wall to charge and it comes back to life with 55% battery and charging. WTF?

I know the DJI GO app is processor/battery intensive, but this seems more like my phone was fooled into thinking the battery was done, i mean 70% to zero and back up to 55% within 15 minutes seems excessive (P3S Battery was only down to 58% during the flight). I have flown before without significant battery drain.

Anyone else experiencing insane iPhone battery drain or other issues recently? My phone is behaving normally all other times, battery life is usually good, if fully charged in the morning it's usually about 30-40% by the end of the day. Phone is only 4 months old too.

I don't want to fly again if my phone if going to die mid-flight. Is there any way to track phone battery percentage while flying in the app?

Also while in the DJI go app my phone keeps entering the iphone inclinometer calibration (roll the ball around the circle) for some reason, nothing serious but irritating.

I'm using Phone 6 - IOS 9.2
DJI GO app - 2.4.3
Phantom 3 Standard Firmware - v1.3.0050

2016-1-2
Use props
david.shepwayce
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Same here
2016-1-3
Use props
lucaviola73
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33343 ft
Italy

I have the same problem. All my software is up date at last release (p3p and iphone). Last flight apparently I go fro 64% to 0% in less than 5 minute and go fro 0% to 54% just in the time to reboot my phone attached to an external battery. Thats's impossible at all. I'm sure that my iphone 6 went from 64% to 56% during the flight but my phone was thinking to be under 0% with dji app and controller connected.
2016-1-3
Use props
lucaviola73
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33343 ft
Italy

...ah, and I had the same problem with the in app simulator... While nothing should be intensive for the phone cpu!
2016-1-3
Use props
brad.waler
First Officer
Flight distance : 3314541 ft
United States

I have found that connecting an external battery to my phone has solved this problem. I have a iPhone 6s Plus
2016-1-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The app does take a lot of processing power to operate. also quit all background running apps.
2016-1-4
Use props
rburke11
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-4 11:23
The app does take a lot of processing power to operate. also quit all background running apps.

Ken - Something doesn't make sense. I, along with many others have been discussing this on various threads within the forum.
I realize the app is very power intensive. However after flight (and my Iphone battery near 0%), I connect my Iphone to a charger and it instantly goes up to 90% and will last me all day. When I say instantly, I mean the moment I plug it in. So something on the app is causing our Iphone batteries to think it is quickly draining when it is not. I've now seen four such threads on the forum with multiple people saying they have the same problem.
Rich
2016-1-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

i will ask the techs about that. I know the charging icon comes on when you plug the phone into the USB port on the controller but it does not actually charge the device.
Also, you said it did not do this until this latest firmware right ? Mine still operates as normal on the latest firmware and I am using an iPad Air with data and iPpad mini4 Wifi.
Mine also goes into the ball calibration too sometimes.
Have you tried to delete the app and reinstall and see if it still does it? If you do, make sure to sync your flights to the cloud first.
2016-1-4
Use props
rburke11
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-4 11:51
i will ask the techs about that. I know the charging icon comes on when you plug the phone into the  ...

I just got my P3 Standard for Christmas and had the issue before I upgraded the firmware. I was hoping that updating the firmware would resolve the issue but it did not. I use wifi and don't connect the Iphone to the controller (standard model).
2016-1-4
Use props
rburke11
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-4 11:51
i will ask the techs about that. I know the charging icon comes on when you plug the phone into the  ...

Also, I did try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. However the app reinstalled from the Iphone cloud.
2016-1-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rburke11 Posted at 2016-1-5 01:55
Also, I did try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. However the app reinstalled from the Iphone ...

Yes, it will reinstall form the app. Still waiting on a tech to come in here and I'll ask about the false power drain.
2016-1-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-5 01:57
Yes, it will reinstall form the app. Still waiting on a tech to come in here and I'll ask about th ...

The tech has never heard of the issue and put a request into China to see why it could be doing that.
2016-1-4
Use props
mrbrandonweber
lvl.1

United States

Same here but I thought it was due to cold weather.
2016-1-5
Use props
clarkjarnagin
New

United States

I am new to the Phantom 3. I've only take it out for two flights. Both times, my iPhone 6 has shut down after less than 10 mins of flying. The first time I thought it was weird since I started with my phone at 86%. Today during the 2nd flight, I started at 73% and it shut down 8 mins after I started. Like others have stated, I plug it in, see the Apple logo, and when the phone comes up...I've seen 50% battery life. No way it charged that fast so the dji controller or app must be fooling the iPhone to think it is dead.
2016-1-13
Use props
Spudey
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-4 18:59
The tech has never heard of the issue and put a request into China to see why it could be doing th ...

Any update on this issue?
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Spudey Posted at 2016-1-14 21:51
Any update on this issue?

Still waiting on China techs for a reply. Sorry it's taking longer then expected.
2016-1-14
Use props
parisetflorian
lvl.1
Switzerland

Same issue for me too...
2016-1-15
Use props
vulcano1975
New

Chile

same here... Battery drained. Also using Iphone 6

This didn't happen before de update. In fact, before the upgrade, the phone charged his battery from the RC. After upgrade, this stopped to happen.

2016-1-16
Use props
a.de.groot
lvl.1

Netherlands

Same problem to my first flight. How can you fly and connect with external battery ?
2016-1-16
Use props
JazBas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1697083 ft
Norway

Battery draining like crazy on my iPhone 6 too...but has done that from day one I bought the Phantom in May last year. If I use a iPad Air I have...there is no issue, and I can fly "forever".
2016-1-17
Use props
GQ.
Second Officer

Canada

Set your iPhone in Aiplane Mode.
2016-1-18
Use props
krthomas2
lvl.2

United States

Same issue in the app simulator using iPhone 6.  Battery percentage dropped fast in the app, but was not realistic.
2016-1-18
Use props
r.spilauer
lvl.1

Czechia

I have exactly the same issue with iPhone 5S. It started only after I upgraded the aircraft. It seems to be quite a serious issue.
Still no news on this one?
2016-1-19
Use props
r.spilauer
lvl.1

Czechia

I have exactly the same issue with iPhone 5S. It started only after I upgraded the aircraft. It seems to be quite a serious issue.
Still no news on this one?
2016-1-19
Use props
David-Kent
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Any update from China yet Ken. I'm pretty much grounded into this issue get sorted out
2016-1-19
Use props
timerjavec1
New

Slovenia

I would also like to know when this issue will be resolved.
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

David-Kent Posted at 2016-1-20 06:11
Any update from China yet Ken. I'm pretty much grounded into this issue get sorted out

No word yet, just sent another message.
I wonder if doing a factory reset on your phone would do anything. I know many people with Android and IOS devices and it doesn't do that so it's only your and some others.
Maybe also try to downgrade then upgrade the firmware.
2016-1-22
Use props
whtworek
New

United States

Add me to the list of users with this issue.  Same issue here with my (new) Phantom 3 Advanced.  Using an iphone 6 running latest iOS 9 (9.2.1), cabled into the RC.   Running latest dji go app (v2.5.1) and latest firmware (aircraft 1.6.40 & RC 1.5.70).   After <10 minutes flight time, starting with a fully charged phone, the phone will complain that its under 10% (and will show 1% power).   If I immediately plug in the phone, it immediately shows 90% charge available (without actually having charged).   If I go to settings-battery, it shows that DJI app only used ~10% of battery.
If tried the factory reset on phone, as well as removal/reinstall of DJI app.  Same result.     
Makes my DJI unusable.  Phone battery life works fine with every other app, including battery intensive ones.  Considering returning the drone to DJI within 7 day refund window....
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

whtworek Posted at 2016-1-23 05:35
Add me to the list of users with this issue.  Same issue here with my (new) Phantom 3 Advanced.  Usi ...

I will report that more users are seeng this now on iPhones. I'm sorry it's happening. It will get fixed though. for the $799 you paid for your aircraft, you cannot find anything out there with the same technology for that price.
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

whtworek Posted at 2016-1-23 05:35
Add me to the list of users with this issue.  Same issue here with my (new) Phantom 3 Advanced.  Usi ...

When you did the factory reset on you phone you tried to fly before reloading your apps?
There's a tom of people in your same position and do not have these issues.
Just wondering if it can be some battery management app or something else installed that is giving mixed signals with the GO app.
2016-1-22
Use props
whtworek
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-22 18:45
When you did the factory reset on you phone you tried to fly before reloading your apps?
There's a ...

yes, no other apps on the phone.  killed all apps.  uninstalled dji go.  fresh restart of phone.  then installed dji go.
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

whtworek Posted at 2016-1-23 08:49
yes, no other apps on the phone.  killed all apps.  uninstalled dji go.  fresh restart of phone.   ...

Very bizarre. It's only happening on a few phones out of the thousands that are probably used the same phones.
When I hear back from the techs, I will let you all know.
2016-1-22
Use props
nrechtman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1555344 ft
United States

whtworek Posted at 2016-1-23 08:49
yes, no other apps on the phone.  killed all apps.  uninstalled dji go.  fresh restart of phone.   ...

Go into settings/battery in your iPhone,, what app is showing as the one with the highest percentage of drain and what number is that!
2016-1-24
Use props
lukasphantom
lvl.1

Austria

I have/has the same issue today. I flew my Phantom 3 4K for one full battery charge. The iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.2.1 was at 92% battery when opening DJI Go. After finishing the battery, the iPhone had 19% battery left. So I plugged it into the charger in the car -> jump directly to 79% battery?! Strange that the Go app can really influence iOS.
2016-1-24
Use props
aidansargent
New

Ireland

Same issue here. Was at about 50% and went to 12% after about a 6 min flight. When I plugged a proper charger in it went straight to about 34%. Very annoying as I couldn't even do a full flight on over half a battery
iphone 6 on iOS 9.2
2016-1-25
Use props
phlyer
lvl.1

United States

I've noticed the same thing, however it has also been pretty cold when I use it.  Being an Apple technician, the cold weather will cause your phone battery to read improperly and shut off.  It may indicate it is too low to power on the phone. But as it warms up , the battery level will return.
2016-1-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

phlyer Posted at 2016-1-26 05:35
I've noticed the same thing, however it has also been pretty cold when I use it.  Being an Apple tec ...

That's interesting, so it could be an Apple thing and not a DJI thing?
I've emailed techs in China a few weeks ago but haven't heard of a solution yet.
2016-1-25
Use props
ekinney
lvl.1
Flight distance : 100679 ft
United States

Same problem for me.. iPhone 6 with a P3S...  everything up to date.  After 8-10 minutes of flight the iPhone shuts completely down.
2016-1-26
Use props
pilkie94
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I seem to be having the same issue. I use an iPhone 6 with my Phantom 3 Pro, after 12 minutes of flight my phone died with 54% battery remaining. A viable fix would be much appreciated.
2016-1-26
Use props
pablotibis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50932 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hello, to me is the same problem, always with the app DJI Go but I happened with OSMO and no PH3, the drone still have not tried, with very few minutes of recording I downloaded the whole battery of iPhone 6 I was in contact with apple, I made a recovery and restore iphone, yesterday I tried again with OSMO and looks improved, but still gives me that DJI GO has used 45% of the bateria, for me there is something in the application that's not good. With Phantom it is much more dangerous that iPhone is turned off, to me later when I put it in office instead you score 2-3% immediately went to 60%.
2016-1-27
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules