Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire vision positioning system
2676 5 2014-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vfxwolf
lvl.1
Jamaica

Greetings all

Well, now that the inspire is finally shipping, congratulations go out to DJI, And here's hoping that we all have a solid piece of production gear in our hands by mid January.

That said, I have a question about the vision positioning system (VPS)

If memory serves, the AR Parrot also had a similar system, A downward facing camera system that would track ground features and provide additional stability to the craft. Personally I found it to be a bit of a  disappointment. But to be fair it was a $300 toy.

I, curious if anyone who has actually flown the inspire could inform me as to the reliability of the VPS system. Up to what altitude is it effective? Does it handle smooth, featureless tile?  How does it perform over water?

Happy New Year to all, and safe flying!
2014-12-29
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI calls the system Optical Flow.  It does work well as long as there is some contrast on the surface.  It is only good to 2.5m.
2014-12-29
Use props
DJI-DingC
lvl.3

China

The VPS allows the INSPIRE 1 to hover up to 3 meter above the ground with reliable hovering performance. It is not recommended to fly over the water surface or the featureless tiles though.
2014-12-29
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for correcting me.
2014-12-30
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.4

Canada

What happens past 3m? Is it still controllable (just not as easily), or does it get flaky that high?

One of my uses for it when I get it is to do indoor shots. I've seen people do that with Phantoms, but I've also seen people crash Phantoms indoors.. Inspire is supposed to be so much better indoors.
2014-12-30
Use props
PeterBerglund
lvl.1

Sweden

...and what will actually happen when hovering over water at low altitude...? Will there be a "conflict" between Optical Flow and GPS if you hover over water at let's say 2 meters and you have waves and movements at the water surface? Is the flight controller that intelligent that it always try to use the most stable data, that is Optical Flow or GPS? As I'm shooting a lot of video of boats, I'm just worried to experience unpredictable behavior while hovering at low altitude over water... Interesting to get some feedback regarding this topic when production units have been tested.
2014-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules