Updating Multiple Batteries Firmware
4053 8 2016-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coasteraddict
lvl.1
United States

I have the Inspire 1 Pro, and everything is going well so far (outside of the fact that the quick release props are still not available at partner distributors like DroneNerds and DronesPlus - does DJI expect people to stay grounded or send the craft in if the sets of props break?). Anyways, I recently updated to Inspire 1 Pro Firmware v1.3.0.60 last evening. Since I paid to have my drone's firmware updated before shipping due to a time crunch I was on, and I had my drone in for repair in recent weeks due to a different part also not available for purchase directly, this was the very first time updating the firmware. I am glad that I called DroneNerds to inquire about the process to update firmware when you have multiple batteries because I could not find any documentation about it anywhere else.

Now, I am not an expert on the drone firmware updates, but I figured there had to be some way to tell all of the batteries that new software was available. Maybe there are multiple ways to do this, but here is what I was told to do. If this is not correct, please feel free to jump in and comment accordingly (thank you in advance for any clarifications). Hopefully, however, this quick tip will be helpful for others operating with multiple batteries.

1. Go online to get latest firmware update zip file
2. Extract it onto blank Micro SD Card (so that .bin file is in the root directory - I made sure that it was the only file on the micro sd card)
3. Place micro sd card into camera on the Inspire 1 / Inspire 1 Pro
4. Ensuring that no remotes are powered on and that a battery with at least 50% charge is in the drone, power on the Inspire 1
5. Wait for the firmware to be complete
6. Upon completion, power off the drone and pull out micro sd card.
7. Check txt file to see if the upgrade was done successfully. If it was not, repeat steps above.
8. Once you see the success message in the txt file, close the txt file and delete it.
9. Place micro sd card (with the .bin firmware file still on it in the root directory) back into the Inspire 1 / Inspire 1 Pro's camera
10. Ensuring that you have a different battery that you have yet to update with 50% charge or greater installed, turn the drone back on and let it install the update. This time, the update should only take a minute or two (unlike the potential 25 minute maximum experienced while first starting the update with the first battery).
11. Check txt file as outlined above to ensure that the firmware update was a success!
12. Repeat until all batteries are updated!

2016-1-3
Use props
coasteraddict
lvl.1
United States

Note: I just saw that the DJI Tutorials YouTube channel mentions that you have to update each battery but does not mention the need to remove txt file off of the micro sd card before updating next battery. Has anybody had an experience one way or the other with this?
2016-1-3
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

You do not need to delete the txt file between batteries - just put one in after another. All other firmware will abort/be ignored and only the current battery will be updated.
The txt file will be rewritten after each battery appending the update message to the end.
When you have finished you will see the final entries in the txt file correspond to as many batteries as you have updated.
2016-1-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, when updating multiple batteries, after your aircraft is updated (the battery will too if the firmware has a battery update) then just power off the aircraft and install another battery and power the aircraft back on. Do this for all your batteries then when finished reformat the SD card to delete the BIN file just in case you forget about it.
2016-1-3
Use props
coasteraddict
lvl.1
United States

I figured that might be the case, but I guess I just wanted to be safe rather than sorry!
2016-1-4
Use props
CHPV Media
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870249 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have just purchased two new batteries and my app is telling me that they need up dating.
I have look at the DJI site and I can't see a battery up grade only firmware up dates
ie 1.6.40, 1.5.0.30 and 1.3.0.00 which one do I need to download ?
Can anyone help
2016-2-16
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

CHPV Media Posted at 2016-2-16 04:02
I have just purchased two new batteries and my app is telling me that they need up dating.
I have lo ...

I am not sure if you have received your answer:  Simply place the latest Firmware on the SD card and install it on the Aircraft.  Now fire up the aircraft, after the download is complete, shut down the aircraft completley, leave the same SD card alone (No need to remove ) and repeat the procedure with your other batteries.  Simple.

cheers -donnie
2016-2-19
Use props
CHPV Media
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870249 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Donne for getting back to me, all done and working thanks
2016-2-19
Use props
agumpel
New
United States

We just figured it out.  You need to place the battery that needs updating in and then exit travel mode.  Once you exit travel mode it will begin the update Da---DaDa beeping.  The red and green light on the camera will blink back and forth, it skips the software update and goes straight to the battery update.  It takes about 1-2 minutes.  When the camera light goes off and only the tail light blinks with the Da-DaDa beeping, its done.  You can shut it down, remove the updated battery and replace with the next one to update.  When you turn it back on the update process will begin again..... repeat for all batteries.  You can check the status of each battery on the screen of your phone/tablet on the controller.
2016-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules