Recharging in the field?
1624 10 2016-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coasteraddict
lvl.1
United States

Okay, so I currently have three TB48s and the one TB47 that came with the Inspire 1 Pro. Essentially, I have enough power to fly for an hour or more in most conditions, thereby giving me enough time to recharge batteries after flight using my DJI battery hub without causing me to be grounded for any more time than it takes for me to swap batteries. But, I see where there may be a need in the future for me to be out in a remote area of sorts (or at least an area not close to electrical outlets), and I may have the need to be back up in the sky before I head back to a spot that does have electrical outlets readily available.

As a result, I have gradually started the quest to find additional options to help in those circumstances. I'm thinking about looking into smaller gas-powered generators and even thoise emergency jump boxes (and similar devices that have outlets you can plug into when off the grid). However, I definitely do not want to hurt any of these batteries nor the battery hub, and I am not an electrical engineer or similar. So, what options might work best? Which have you used and why? Which (if any) options should I stay away from?

I appreciate your time!

-- Dwayne
2016-1-3
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

I used a power inverter and put it on my truck.
2016-1-3
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

there are some car chargers... never tried any of them
2016-1-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

For any kind of portable lightweight generator (like a Honda EU2000i)  you can buy about 6 batteries and not have to lug a generator around although it's an awesome generator. Best to buy a lot of batteries and be as lightweight as possible.
2016-1-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

For any kind of portable lightweight generator (like a Honda EU000i)  you can buy about 6 batteries and not have to lug a generator around although it's an awesome generator. Best to buy a lot of batteries and be as lightweight as possible. I had the Hinda EU2000i and it's an awesome generator and a lot lighter than anything of that power output. And they are super quiet.
2016-1-3
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-3 20:34
there are some car chargers... never tried any of them

I saw these on E-bay.  Don't know how well they would work though.   http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ ... _dmd=1&_ipg=200
2016-1-4
Use props
coasteraddict
lvl.1
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-1-4 00:03
A DJI employee would say that though, eh??

We have eight - we'll comfortably get about 2 hou ...

While I only currently operate with one (1) TB47 and three (3) TB48s, I may look to buy more in the future. For now, I will be watching to see if I have a need for more batteries and what the next set of drones may look like. As for a generator, is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

As for your notation on the iPad, we do currently have 2 iPads at our disposal, but I currently operate with Samsung Tab S2 8" - one for each remote. Plus, I have a Samsung Note 4 and a Samsung Note 5 if I really need to use it. However, I will likely be using one of those Notes as a WiFi hotspot when out and about since I did not find the need to buy the data version of a tablet.
2016-1-4
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Starship Posted at 2016-1-4 15:51
I saw these on E-bay.  Don't know how well they would work though.   http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html ...

I would like to get feedback on this before I bought one.
2016-1-6
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-3 23:08
For any kind of portable lightweight generator (like a Honda EU000i)  you can buy about 6 batteries  ...

I have a Honda EU7000 and that's no light cookie to tote around.  
2016-1-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2016-1-7 02:40
I have a Honda EU7000 and that's no light cookie to tote around.

I've had several generators. The Honda's and Yamaha's are by far the best around, lightest and quietest.
had a Honda EU3000is, a few Honda 2000i, and Yamaha6300iSDE. They were all awesome generators. Also had cheapy ones from Sam's Club, Costco, and Home Depot and hated them.With generators, you definitely get what you pay for.
2016-1-6
Use props
dgmultimedia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 216526 ft
United Kingdom

http://www.halfords.com/workshop ... al-powerpack-rpp265
I have one of these "jump start" power packs. - the 300 watt inverter can run 2 DJI chargers for about 4 hours in total so enough to recharge several flight batteries and it has a couple of usb sockets and an LED light as well as the 12volt high current leads for jump starting your car or bike....
2016-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules