APPLE dumb!! Question for mods and DJI
1254 11 2016-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dacon Productio
lvl.2

United States

Since in order to activate FALLOW ME and RTH you need GPS signal on the RC/display and the smart eggheads at Apple did not bother to install GPS receiver into the IPAD mini 2 here is my question and request:
- Ipad(s) do not have GPS incorporated in them. They get the info by triangulating the data from the Wi-Fi and cellular locations. All this is useless if the drone is flown in the boonies where is no Wi-Fi or cell coverage thus making FM and RTH not available... .
Can DJI make a new RC with GPS incorporated in the unit or make a small GPS receiver to be attached to the RC?

2016-1-3
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

iPad Mini Wi-FI + Cellular version have the GPS integrated.
Not the wi-fi only.
2016-1-3
Use props
Dacon Productio
lvl.2

United States

I can use my cell phone as HOTSPOT for now to generate GPS in coverage. What about where is no coverage??? Apple always finds a way to milk the consumers for the last penny...that's why a lot of people hate them with a passion and turned to droids.
2016-1-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

You need a device with GPS onboard to use the Follow Me mode, but it has nothing to do with RTH. When it is powered up, as soon as the aircraft had acquired enough satellites, it stores the position of the aircraft as the 'home position', and when RTH is activated, that is where it returns to. Apple do not fit GPS and cellular in order to lower the cost of the iPad for those who do not need those facilities, quite a reasonable idea in fact.

And not having cellular coverage in the 'boonies' has no effect of the operation of the aircraft other than the fact that it will not display the map, and it has no effect on follow me or RTH.

2016-1-3
Use props
Dacon Productio
lvl.2

United States

True. If no Wi-Fi or cell coverage in the area and no GPS capable Ipad, how can I get the drone to FOLLOW ME?
2016-1-3
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dacon Productio Posted at 2016-1-4 10:45
True. If no Wi-Fi or cell coverage in the area and no GPS capable Ipad, how can I get the drone to F ...

To use the follow-me feature, you need a GPS enabled phone or tablet.
That's all.  Wifi and cell coverage are irrelevant.
2016-1-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Only the Cellular versions of iPad have a built in GPS module.
But you don't need a cellular network activation (SIM Card) for it to work.
You would only need a connected cellular network, in order to utilize the Live Streaming of your video to YouTube from the Phantom 3 drone.
You can theoretically cache the flight area maps from the home WiFi network, but beware, that they don't always stick.

RedHotPoker
2016-1-3
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

Poker is right .  The RTH has nothing to do with the GPS in your device  . Please try a mobile phone or a cellular version tablet to use the Follow Me .
2016-1-3
Use props
Akaemit02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5894029 ft
United States

BOOOM

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Elect ... words=bluetooth+gps
2016-1-3
Use props
Dacon Productio
lvl.2

United States

Still not the best setup.
DJI could build the RC with a built in GPS receiver so not to be dependable on a tablet, phone, pad.
2016-1-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Dacon Productio Posted at 2016-1-4 14:42
Still not the best setup.
DJI could build the RC with a built in GPS receiver so not to be dependabl ...

There is no point in putting a GPS receiver into the RC unit for just one function, Follow Me. Needless additional expense. It would be much smarter to build a dedicated Follow Me controller for those who want it, as another manufacturer already has.

Frankly the last thing I need for a follow me situation is the large and bulky Phantom RC unit dragging around with me. Better a wrist-watch type or something like a small remote wand.
2016-1-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Inspire has a GPS built into the controller so you can have Dynamic Home point. Even with that, you still need a GPS enabled device to use Follow Me. And yes, the RTH has nothing to do with a GPS in your device. The RTH works by recording the home point from your aircraft before you take and that is where it would RTH to unless you reset it during your fight.
2016-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules