Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Requirement for Display Device
1451 19 2016-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If the proposed Geofencing is implemented, we may have to revise the current requirements for the device we connect to our RC units. At present it does not need to have a cellular data plan, but the Geofencing proposal is suggesting that you will be able to authorise yourself in the field, and that will require a connection to the Internet.

The suggested procedure is that you will receive a warning on your device that you are inside an Authorisation Zone and will not be able to fly unless you authorise yourself. The information so far available says you will be able to perform authorisation by just tapping a couple of times on the screen and the authorisation will be immediate. This sounds OK, but you need an Imnternet connection in the field to do it.

Of course you can pre-authorise yourself at home while in range of your own Wi-Fi network, but I am betting many people will get into the field before they find out they are inside a zone.

I use an Air 2 cellular, and I have a SIM card I could transfer to the Air 2 to cellular enable it, but I also have a small 4G cellular Wi-Fi modem that will do the same job. It was quite cheap and the battery lasts 6 hours or so and can be charged up in my car, so I am good to go.

But, to my original point. Up until now we have been advising noobs that you don't need cellular service on your device, or more particularly, there is no need for a cellular plan. And we have also been saying you don't need a cellular version of the iPad unless you intend to use Follow Me or set your Home Point to the RC lo0cation. That may now change, it might be best to advise having a cell enabled device from now on.

Wotchathink?

2016-1-4
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

This is when a "personal hotspot" works great.

I do that to download maps as well. Simple and most (if not all) restricted areas have cel service.

I use a n iPad Mini 2 wifi only and link to web using my iPhone hotspot...
2016-1-4
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes .. most people have a phone with them.
That's all the internet you need.
2016-1-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-1-5 19:58

Not really, my device on the RC unit is an Air 2, my phone is Android, they don't talk to one another.
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Please don't worry about this . You can also unlock the area before your flight by submitting your application as an appointment via a website .
2016-1-5
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.4

United States

My carrier charges an arm and a leg for my iPhone hot spot. I did not sign up for it. $10/month to use hot spot and $15 for 1 gig of data = way too much. lol
2016-1-5
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-5 03:13
Not really, my device on the RC unit is an Air 2, my phone is Android, they don't talk to one anot ...

You can't turn on tethering on your Android phone and use it as a hotspot that way? Anything should be able to "talk" to it as you put it once you are in tether mode.
2016-1-5
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Sharing The Net

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-5 10:13
Not really, my device on the RC unit is an Air 2, my phone is Android, they don't talk to one anot ...

When I got the Flytrex device I took the sim card out of my pad and had to learn something.How to share the net from my Galaxy Note 2.
It's about the same on my Note 4 today so I'm gonna swap to English and Screenshoot it
Latest Android ofcourse.
First you find the Mobile Hotspot symbol shown below the clock here and click it.
Mobile_Hotspot.jpg

This gives you a warning about Wi-Fi will be disabled (On the phone)
Click OK.
Attention_Hotspot.jpg

Now you get a message about Tethering or Hotspot. Click it.
Teathering_or_hotspot_active.png

Finally it gives you instructions and a password for your brand new wifi network
Hotspot_Password.png

Viola now you have two internetted gizmos on one sim card
2016-1-5
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
Second Officer
Norway

This only needs to be done once btw.
If your iThing remembers password and network name you only need to turn on/off Mobile Network next time
2016-1-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-5 23:48
Please don't worry about this . You can also unlock the area before your flight by submitting your a ...

Yes, we know that Patrick, but it is not good enough. As has been explained to you elsewhere, people will want to authorise an area on the spot, not days ahead.
2016-1-5
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
Second Officer
Norway

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-1-5 09:58

So your Phone have internet where there's no service?
That's a neat trick
2016-1-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I was informed that activating Hotspot would cost me $40/month.  I told them no thanks.  Not sure someone wasn't misinformed so going to ask a different agent and have them prove it.  I'll take $10/month, but not $40.
2016-1-5
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-1-6 10:05
So your Phone have internet where there's no service?
That's a neat trick

If there's no internet for the phone, having a cellular connection for the Ipad won't be any help either.
That's what the OP was asking about.
2016-1-5
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-5 20:13

It's simple ... enable your Android phone as a mobile wifi ... your Ipad gets wifi from the phone ... problem solved.
2016-1-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-1-6 13:05
It's simple ... enable your Android phone as a mobile wifi ... your Ipad gets wifi from the phone  ...

'I use an Air 2 cellular, and I have a SIM card I could transfer to the Air 2 to cellular enable it, but I also have a small 4G cellular Wi-Fi modem that will do the same job. It was quite cheap and the battery lasts 6 hours or so and can be charged up in my car, so I am good to go.'

I believe I have already solved that.
2016-1-5
Use props
labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-6 13:11
'I use an Air 2 cellular, and I have a SIM card I could transfer to the Air 2 to cellular enable i ...

But you were asking about recommending a cellular service + ipad for new purchasers.
If you have an internet capable phone, there's no need for a cell connection on your ipad to do what you asked about.
2016-1-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-1-6 13:28
But you were asking about recommending a cellular service + ipad for new purchasers.
If you have a ...

Yes, true. I agree with what you are saying, but my point was in deference to the many people on here who are not going to handle the process of tethering.

Mind you, it still means the device on your RC unit has to have connection to the Internet in the field if you want to unlock a zone on the fly. Under the description of the operation of the geofencing system, if you try to fire up the aircraft inside a yellow zone, the Go App will warn you and then you have the option of authorising it from within the Go App immediately. That's why the device needs Internet access.
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-6 06:16
Yes, we know that Patrick, but it is not good enough. As has been explained to you elsewhere, peop ...

Oh , you are right ! That will need a mobile phone or a tablet with cellular .
2016-1-6
Use props
4StateFlyer
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-6 06:18
Oh , you are right ! That will need a mobile phone or a tablet with cellular .

In perfect world we can plan ahead and get it unlocked via offline.   But I agree access in field will be nice..

I think a lot of smart phones have hotspot ability.   So at least a lot will be able to do without much hassle once it is all in place.
2016-1-17
Use props
sanderds
New

United States

When will GEO Fencing and self authorization be available to IOS users? I am stuck living in a no-fly zone that covers 1/2 my town and all my land (I'm 5 miles from the airstrip,, the radius of the no fly zone is about 8 miles,,the same as any international airport......The no-fly zone is centered around an old Municipal Airport that was destroyed by a Tornado 10 years ago, the only people who use it these days are (ironically) are Hobbiests, powered parachute flyers, RC airplanes etc... It has 3 employees paid by the City to keep the grass cut and sometimes charters will use it during Holidays to look at our lights. Zone 455974 Chickasha MUNI
2016-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules