A matter of altitude
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aeriALL.ro
lvl.1
Flight distance : 504984 ft
Romania

Hi,
I have a quick question for you. It happened to me to take-off from let's say 400m above sea level (on a hill).

Dracula's Castle in the Valley, Bran, Romania

I did a compas calibration before flight and went on near that castle in the background (Dracula's supposed castle in Bran, Romania). I've raised the drone (DJI Phantom 3pro) at about 7m and went ahead in the vally where the ground was clearly lower than 7m from my takeoff point.

I lowered the drone and saw in the app I was getting close to 0 m (though I was still high in the sky). I got scared and stoped, raised it back to higher altitude. I was affraid that the drone if it will detect 0m will consider that it landed and stop the engines.

What happens if you go under your take-off altitude? Anyone has any idea?

Thanks,
Alin Popescu
http://www.aeriALL.ro
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

The drone will not stop when the altitude becomes 0 m  . It will keep going down if you control the RC to do this .  By the way , nice picture !
2016-1-5
Use props
aeriALL.ro
lvl.1
Romania

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-5 15:03
The drone will not stop when the altitude become 0 m  . It will keep going down if you control the R ...

Good to know, thanks.
I'm an engineer by formation and 0 is a dangerous number for me and IT systems :p. This is why I was afraid :p

Thanks for appreciation for the photo ;)
2016-1-5
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

Even in RTH, it will know it is at a 'negative' altitude, and still climb to the prescribed height above its home point before returning home. I was worried about that too. When you're on a mountain, it's hard NOT to fly below your take off point sometimes. And yes! Nice pics.  Happy Flying!

Barney.
2016-1-5
Use props
aeriALL.ro
lvl.1
Romania

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2016-1-5 15:29
Even in RTH, it will know it is at a 'negative' altitude, and still climb to the prescribed height a ...

Thanks Barney for clearing this out. Exactly the mountain flights were making me nervous!
2016-1-5
Use props
P3_Nutz
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I also took off from a hill side the other day and spent most of the flight below 0 feet and fortunately it was fine and didn't fall out the sky ;)
2016-1-5
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules