Phantom 3 Advanced vs 4K
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
amima
lvl.2
Flight distance : 851542 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Is there any significant difference between Advanced and new 4K model? Considering the same price, the only difference I could find is:
4K video (at 25fps!) vs 2.7K video (30fps) on the same camera (lens and sensor).
at a price of
WiFi video downlink (1200m/500m) vs DJI Lightbridge (5/3.5km range).

Is this all the difference or am I missing something (Advanced also support Glonass, but I consider this not significant)? My personal opinion is additional resolution (with same lens/sensor) is not worth the max distance drop. What do you think, are there any reasons I should choose the new 4K model over Advanced? It seems that Advanced is still a win, and new 4K model is only a marketing release, does not give any real advantage (except for squeezing out more megapixels from the same video stream).

2016-1-6
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

When you look at the live view (480p) for the new 4K Phantom, that alone should be reason to buy the Advanced (720p).
Add in Lightbridge and it's no contest.
2016-1-6
Use props
amima
lvl.2
Flight distance : 851542 ft
  • >>>
Russia

I've gone through a variety of 2.7K vs 4K videos and now I am completely confused, because there actually is a slight noticable difference between videos, 4K is a little sharper. But max distance is still a huge advantage. I guess it's for me to choose between two, But still interested in thoughts of others in this community.
2016-1-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

When you look at it, there are several differences.
http://www.dji.com/products/compare-phantom
2016-1-6
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Advanced if you fly distance.
Glonass will help you in areas like valleys. The extra sats will make that difference whether you fly or not.
Lightbridge and 720p - 5k range, higher penetration and clear FPV.

4K if you need quality and like to fly close.
480p FPV is horrid and very hard to frame. You end doing reshoots and wasting precious airtime.
I cant speak for everyone, but 4K resource hungry and you need a powerful PC or MAC to edit.

2016-1-6
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40837 ft
United States

I would get the advanced. Most people I know with TVs do not have a 4k TV. Plus you get lightbridge for $799!! That is a no brainer..
2016-1-7
Use props
aaron6070
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259042 ft
United States

If you don't care about range and have a 4k TV the go with the phantom 4k but if you want range and don't have a 4k TV the advanced would be the way to go
2016-1-8
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-1-8
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

Lol                     
2016-1-8
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

I'm still unsure between advanced and 4k. So it looks like it's all about 2.7k video on advanced vs 4k on the new 4k model.

Apart from that, the advanced has lightbridge download and glonass. So the question is then: lightbridge any good? Glonass any good?

In my case, I intend to use the Phantom in remote locations, so my guess is both glonass and lightbridge would be beneficial? 2.7k is good enough video for me. I think I've answered my own question, but I just wanted to know whether lightbridge and glonass are maybe just gimmicks that are never used in reality?
2016-1-9
Use props
ibx
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40938 ft
  • >>>
United States

advanced is better then 4k. 1080p isnt going anywhere for atleast a few more years. by then maybe invest into the phantom 5 super dooper. alot of people are getting the 4k to be able to upscale the videos while keeping the quality. this is cool but could also be done with 2.7k just not scaled up as much. also its a phantom, if you want to zoom all you gotta do is fly closer to your POI. id much rather film in 1080p 60fps then 4k and 2.7k but i am a noob though.

i can say this though, i had the standard and couldnt wait to get the advanced just because of the range. it seems like alot at first but you out grow it quick. i also had no interest in getting the professional just because im not that gung ho on 4k at this moment.
2016-1-9
Use props
jim.williams
lvl.1

amima Posted at 2016-1-7 09:22
I've gone through a variety of 2.7K vs 4K videos and now I am completely confused, because there act ...

There is no way I would buy the 4K over either the standard or the advanced. You are paying $100 more for a resolution difference so slight that 95% of your audience will not notice. You are basically trading a good bit of quality on your live video feed for a (on paper) 20% increase in range. There is a whole lot of difference between 480p and 720p.   Personally, I doubt that the range would be that much better in the real world. The advanced offers a LOT of of advantages over the Standard or the 4K.  I guess what I'm saying is if you are on a budget the difference between $499 and $699 is significant.  If you can drop $599 for the 4K you would be much much better off to put another hundred with it and get the Advanced. And by the way, Glonass and Lightbridge are very tangible advantages.  I recently bought the Standard because I thought it offered a huge bang for the buck and fit within my budget.  I have not been disappointed. If your budget is not so tight, go with the Advanced.
2016-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules