Jailbreak?
12286 23 2016-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

Would it be possible to Jailbreak the P3?

.... And before anybody starts to rant about Jailbreaking being legal, illegaletc...Etc... :

1. It is Just a Question to Satisfy my own Curiosity. - (I’m Very good at asking "silly" questions!... But have learnt that its only by asking that I become knowledgeable.)
2. Jailbreaking the iphone (as an example) is NOT Illigal. (Apple doesnot like it but that does not make it illegal). - over the millions iphones jalibroken, there has Never been a single Lawsuit.
3. I am aware that any "Jailbreak" will void warranties and support.

2016-1-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You are not dealing with an operating system like iOS, so jailbreaking simply does not apply. The P3 utilises a large, very complex Field Programmable Gate Array, and the firmware combines hardware definition plus operating code. Unless you want to spend half your life trying to figure out how and what the code does, you are not going to get anywhere.

And even if you did, DJI would have moved on by the time you completed it, to a newer, bigger and faster FPGA and you would be left in their dust.

Not likely to happen. But don't let me discourage you, give it a try....
2016-1-6
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

yes. get full access to the sdk and your in. but dji won't give that out and if they did, you would have to be a smart nerd to program it
2016-1-6
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I'm curious,  what would be the point?  It's not like you have options in what carrier to use.  If you are unhappy with the interface,  use Litchi or something.  If you are a developer,  you can get the sdk,  unless you have a P3 Standard.  For some reason,  Dji is not going to release an SDK for the standard.  And if you are able to reverse engineer the firmware,  again,  what would be the point?  I'm just asking in case you have some really cool hack in mind.
2016-1-6
Use props
mw36
lvl.2

Australia

dur, one reason to crack the operating system would be to negate the geofencing, or am I the only one to think that
2016-1-7
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In theory if you manage to reverse engineer or "acquire" the un-compiled firmware then yeah.. Also like mentioned, complete access to all functions via SDK would be of advantage but not happening..
2016-1-7
Use props
oli_tf
New

Spain

mw36 Posted at 2016-1-7 12:27
dur, one reason to crack the operating system would be to negate the geofencing, or am I the only on ...

You are not alone. Like your idea since the bad done Phantom-geofencing, which is only introduced by DJI to save their business model. I agree upon regulations, but not this way.
2016-1-12
Use props
securityforces
lvl.1

Germany

I want to get back to fw 1.4.10+. It is unbelievable that you cannot roll back the fw. I hope this will break DJIs neck.
I do not have 1000€ for an ugly quadcopter sculpture on my shelf. Who whants to buy a P3A  for 850€? Its W322B GL300C from 15. January 2016.
2016-1-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

What's ugly now, was beautiful to you, the lucky Phantom beholder. only a couple weeks ago.
Suddenly firmware changed its appearance? Hahaha
Nice try, but no cigar, sorry... If it's so bad sell it, and move on to a prettier model. Something more pleasing to your eyes only...

Just know, to get something anywhere near as dependable reliable, and with this kind of awesome technology that flies way out there with radio included... You will pay 3-4 times more for. Good luck, man.
Please post pics. Share your new dream craft, once you get it programmed to your Spektrum Tx or what ever brand, and up flying... Love to see which direction of drone you pursue.
I bought a Heli-Max Voltage 500 3D quad. Just for fun... But it looks awfully great too. So I'm always interested to see what others get, their thrill rides from. Hehe

RedHotPoker
2016-1-19
Use props
securityforces
lvl.1

Germany

Sorry this was ugly to me a couple of years ago. The price made it even uglier. The Phantom 3 became acceptable becuase of its video quality and range (But this will be soon over anyway). Nothing more. The apperance is even uglier with its own ugly silver camera gimble combination.

Edit:
*I meant it is already over anyway

Edit edit:
And the program from made from Litchi and taken by DJI made it nice, too.
2016-1-19
Use props
securityforces
lvl.1

Germany

GAME OVER DJI
2016-1-19
Use props
securityforces
lvl.1

Germany

Sorry, I mean my P3A is very good and you should buy it from me for 850€.

Edit:
*today
2016-1-19
Use props
securityforces
lvl.1

Germany

Please someone buy this ugly slim tall pos from me.
2016-1-19
Use props
Ze German
lvl.1

Germany

securityforces Posted at 2016-1-19 13:01
Sorry this was ugly to me a couple of years ago. The price made it even uglier. The Phantom 3 became ...

And they know that the range issue will be over and they are losing customers, why would they edit the range parameters on their webiste?
2016-1-19
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

securityforces Posted at 2016-1-19 09:01
Sorry this was ugly to me a couple of years ago. The price made it even uglier. The Phantom 3 became ...

I think it's the other way around. DJI made the API Litchi is using to get all the flying and route calculations in place.
Ever wondered why Litchi isn't working on other drones?

BTW, the so "secret" SDK is available here: https://developer.dji.com/ go ahead and do your own app.
2016-1-19
Use props
Ze German
lvl.1

Germany

LordNeo Posted at 2016-1-19 14:11
I think it's the other way around. DJI made the API Litchi is using to get all the flying and rout ...

I have no ambition in programming an app neither a firmware. I can code though. But I want to have access to the hardware I am using.
2016-1-19
Use props
Ze German
lvl.1

Germany

And a very expensive hardware I might say.
2016-1-19
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

Ze German Posted at 2016-1-19 10:27
I have no ambition in programming an app neither a firmware. I can code though. But I want to have  ...

The SDK gives you access to all the hardware (all the API calls to make anything).
The price is about the package, X hardware using Y functions and ranges, closed source.
Luckly for us, DJI also gives us access to the SDK if you want to tweak more (like the forward inclination for faster movement) wich is very rare for end consumer electronic devices (otherwise check how many phone manufacturers release the SDK for their hardware).
Open hardware (like the DIY drones) are a lot more expensive and you have to do some programation anyway.
2016-1-19
Use props
wooglins
lvl.1

United States

Ze German Posted at 2016-1-19 06:46
And they know that the range issue will be over and they are losing customers, why would they edit ...

Not sure what you are talking about the range is still listed at 5000 meters FCC and 3500 CE.   Those are the only numbers I have seen in the past 3 months.   
2016-1-19
Use props
Mordorr
lvl.2

Portugal

Crowfounding is already in progress, and its a matter of time, someone figure how to kill this draconian GEO...

And has a bonus, even give more bitrate to my Advance or any unlocked feature...

At this moment, LOT of people are thinking on this..........
2016-1-19
Use props
Ze German
lvl.1

Germany

wooglins Posted at 2016-1-19 19:12
Not sure what you are talking about the range is still listed at 5000 meters FCC and 3500 CE.   Th ...

Wasn't it CE 2000?
2016-1-19
Use props
Ze German
lvl.1

Germany

Mordorr Posted at 2016-1-19 19:54
Crowfounding is already in progress, and its a matter of time, someone figure how to kill this draco ...

I want to be able to delete my flight logs!
2016-1-19
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Ze German Posted at 2016-1-19 11:46
I want to be able to delete my flight logs!

That needs no special anything.  Just do it.
2016-1-19
Use props
Ze German
lvl.1

Germany

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-19 21:22
That needs no special anything.  Just do it.

you'll get the advanced with 1.4.10+ there you can do it.
2016-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules