1045 6 2016-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21988 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I posted a question a while ago about the new 40mbps bitrate for NTSC 1080p (from 24mbps previously?). No one replied but I still would like to know if people have noticed any improvement with compression artifacts. I've only been able to do one flight with the new bitrate but I think there is less compression noise.

Is it not the case that 1080p NTSC at 40mbps is now 'less compressd' relative to the 60mbps you get with 4K? Wouldn't the bitrate required to produce the equivilent quality for 4K have to be around 160mbps?

As many people have complained about bitrates in the past, I'm surprised no one is discussing it...

2016-1-7
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Still waiting for DJI to incorporate the higher bitrates in PAL modes. For two firmwares straight they have missed to incorporate that... Don't know why they can't fix it. These higher bitrates won't make a huge difference, but it certainly will make some difference. Still waiting... Hope someone with beta 1.7 firmware can chime in an tell if they finally got the bitrates for PAL in. And if someone who tested the higher bitrates can say how well it work.
2016-1-7
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good point. In for the discussion...
2016-1-7
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rob W Posted at 2016-1-7 13:26
Still waiting for DJI to incorporate the higher bitrates in PAL modes. For two firmwares straight th ...

May I ask why not just use NTSC?
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is from one of the employees here who's heavily into shooting video.
I  noticed it didn't seem as dirty and as I increase the ISO higher it even gets better. I generally only shoot at 1080 so I was pleasently surprised.  Don't quote me but I think 120Mbps(15mb/sec) for 4K/UHD footage is rougly closer than 160Mbps(15mb/sec)
2016-1-7
Use props
vincenzomiceli
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1696781 ft
Poland

Interesting. With what firmware was the bit rate changed?

Thx,

Enzo
2016-1-7
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-1-7 22:43
I would imagine that the answer to that is because we use PAL in the UK rather than "Never Twice th ...

@PaulKerry: Yes, Scandinavia also use PAL

@Teamnest: The reason for using PAL is to match film shot with another camera (for instance a handheld camera) shot at 50fps or 25 fps. matching 60/30 fps with 50/25 fps is cumbersome.

Also, if we film for instance lights (streetslights or something) in NTSC we get more flickering due to the alternating current runs at 50Hz.

@DJI: Why does not this get fixed? There are more PAL users than NTSC users in the world. Surely implementing the higher bitrates for a lower fps can't be difficult, you've already done the part for NTSC. Your products are aimed at the professional market, so why don't DJI take this seriously??
2016-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules