Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Casey Preston Posted at 2016-1-24 16:58
The X5 lasts longer than 15 minutes if you aren't recording the whole time.

Good to know.. however can you be more specific.. how long does it last when using the X5?
I notice on the DJI OSMO page it says:
If I change the Osmo's camera to the Zenmuse X5 or the Zenmuse X5R, will the maximum operating time of the Osmo be affected?
Yes, but we are in the process of developing a new firmware for extending the operating time of the Osmo when using the Zenmuse X5/Zenmuse X5R.

On the Ronin page:
How long can the Ronin-M operate with a fully charged battery?With the old 3400mAh 4S smart battery fully charged, the Ronin-M can run for over 6 hours, depending on the attached camera rig and gimbal usage.With the new 1580mAh 4S smart battery fully charged, the Ronin-M can run for over 3 hours, depending on the attached camera rig and gimbal usage.

My plan is to have an OSMO running my X5.. instead of a ronin & more expense on another camera. However I'm not too sure at the moment if thats the best plan?

2016-1-24
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

United States

I have both a Ronin and an Osmo and consider them to have different purposes.  I plan to use the Osmo to grab b-roll and quick pick up shots.  Even with the X3, that battery life is not that long.   Also, the Osmo is loud.  The motors are loud and the fan is loud.  I don't think I would every want to use the Osmo as a primary camera on a shoot.  For that, I would use the Ronin.
2016-1-24
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

Casey Preston Posted at 2016-1-25 05:58
The X5 lasts longer than 15 minutes if you aren't recording the whole time.

But then it is just a stick- sort of defeats the object.
Rod and the cat
2016-1-24
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-1-24 17:31
But then it is just a stick- sort of defeats the object.
Rod and the cat

Yes that's what I meant when I said it only last 15 minutes.
2016-1-24
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It'd make sense for DJI to make another OSMO Handle for the X5 & X5R that uses the inspire batteries. Maybe it could also have lightbridge to work with inspire controllers: for remote movement control / hdmi out for directors screen & also be made to work with the focus remote. That way you'd have a decent workflow for the pros who are going to use the X5R.

Essentially an inspire minus the flying bits: motors compass etc & with the osmo smooth panning firmware.

In any case I've ordered a 3D printed adapter & the OSMO handle kit to try it out for myself.

2016-1-24
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Imagine an X5 OSMO on a rally car with a wireless video feed! That editing in with the Inspire would be a dream setup.

2016-1-25
Use props
russkn87
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430039 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The 3D printed adapter really works, here's my video sample taken with the X5 & Osmo handle kit:

2016-1-26
Use props
russkn87
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430039 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Arrow1969 Posted at 2016-1-23 06:47
A Couple have appeared on eBay in the Uk still haven't decided if to buy one.

Don't need to use m ...

For £15 it's a great solution to get the hang on the X5 on the OSMO, I used it for my YouTube sample video and it works fine. Especially if you've got a film job coming up in the next few weeks/months, its a cheap temporary fix: DJI X5 Osmo Adapter £15 Matte Black
2016-1-27
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It works well we just need Aperature, ISO & Autofocusing working.

2016-1-27
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Now chat is saying 2nd quarter on adapter? Why don't they just admit that it doesn't work.
2016-1-28
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-1-28 19:04
Now chat is saying 2nd quarter on adapter? Why don't they just admit that it doesn't work.

WHAT!?

See my post here: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 08&page=1#pid305286

I do NOT understand. It already works. You can make it work via clicking the inspire then turning your wifi onto the OSMO. It gives you full video settings. Or you can use the BETA app.

Something else must be going on. It cannot take this long to ajust firmware or manufacturer an adapter that has been marketed & hyped for 4 months.
2016-1-29
Use props
Err0xx
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

The baseplate in the photo, that is now on sale on the DJI site, is just a holder. What are the odds of that being made into a battery that is much much larger than the one inserted into the handle for the increased power requirements of the x5? Anyone familiar with Sony camera battery grips will know what I'm talking about- make a connector that goes up into the handle of the Osmo to make a connection with the existing handle power inputs with a massive battery underneath, like in the photos of the mount plate. Google Sony Battery Grip and look at how the grip goes up into the cameras battery compartment. Doesn't seem like it would be impossible to build and would add a TON of battery life. I could see DJI doing this and selling the Osmo + battery extension as an Osmo Pro instead of releasing a redesigned OSMO. The handle itself doesn't need anything changed.
Eagerly awaiting my adapter and firmware update for x5.

Thoughts?

2016-2-3
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Err0xx Posted at 2016-2-3 20:01
The baseplate in the photo, that is now on sale on the DJI site, is just a holder. What are the odds ...

Makes sense. Like the PilotFLy has a power pack base plate you can attach to the base of the handle.
This would be a good solution for X5 to work with the existing handle.
2016-2-3
Use props
Err0xx
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Would love to see an Osmo dummy battery that would allow a connection to a d-tap battery. That would be amazing.

Any new news on the x5 Osmo adapter?
2016-2-13
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

Err0xx Posted at 2016-2-13 22:56
Would love to see an Osmo dummy battery that would allow a connection to a d-tap battery. That would ...

Yep, already suggested the dummy adaptor for use with battery belt- no feedback from DJI ( oh what a surprise!)

And the X5 adaptor- DJI have let everyone down on this and compounded their pathetic service record by 1. advertising a product that doesn't exist :
2. Making no attempt   to communicate why or how they could have done this. Isn't it contrary to trading standards to advertise something for sale that doesn't exist?
Rod and the cat
2016-2-13
Use props
Err0xx
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-2-13 05:19
Yep, already suggested the dummy adaptor for use with battery belt- no feedback from DJI ( oh what ...

Dang. Wished they would be open to an idea such as that.

I'll bet a million dollars 2 issues crept up that DJI got semi-blindsided by: 1) x5 power usage, 2) inability to correct this energy usage via firmware.

DJI advertised x5 as being compatible with the Osmo way back when the Osmo was announced, as we all know. They got the x3 out the door so that they could start turning a profit on basic Osmo hardware, thinking a simple firmware tweak would allow the x5 to work with the Osmo handle. Well, that assumption blew up in their face and I'll wager some engineers got fired for it.

Instead of making an announcement as to the delay of the X5 capabilities of the Osmo being a result of problems that needs to be solved, DJI has opted to not say anything and leave it up to "coming soon" to take care of it instead of saying "We have the hardware ready, we have problems, we are trying to fix them before release", and risk people not buying due to fear of lingering problems. SO they are preferring to keep quiet instead of risking aknowledging issues to begin with.

Here's my bet: we see the Osmo X5 adapter eventually go on sale as a preorder, to satitate people until the firmware is fixed, then the preorders will ship around the same day that the firmware update is pushed. Further, we will see an "extended battery" go on sale around the same time as the adapter and an "Osmo Pro" that is basically the Osmo with extended battery.

I think DJI couldn't solve the power issues with firmware tweaks so they've had to design an extended battery in these past 5 months that they've been silent about the x5 adapter. I think the adapter hardware has been completed for months and in the time since then, they've been feverishly trying to make firmware extend battery life and upon realizing that they couldn't, they've had to design an extended battery by the seat of their pants. Instead of releasing a $30 dummy battery to d-tap, they'd rather release a $150+ battery so that all those that bought an Osmo with the intent of using the X5 will be forced to spend more cash.

They originally said the X5 was compatible with the Osmo- and it may be, but they never commented as to recording time. I can see DJI basically saying "The X5 is compatible with the Osmo, but you can only record for 14 minutes. If you want to record longer, you must buy our bigger battery", thus changing what was initially a DJI boo boo into a profit-making scheme that forces anyone that wants to use the x5 for any project of significant time to buy yet another piece of hardware. Technically DJI didn't lie if things played out like this- the X5 would be compatible with the stock Osmo, as they never commented as to a recording time.
So, in summary: 1) X5 works with stock Osmo & adapter has been ready for months but recording time is abysmal, 2) for recording time to be usable with the X5 a larger extended battery will be required- this technically doesn't violate promises made by DJI because they made no comment as to X5 recording time on stock Osmo, 3) the reason for the long delay of the X5 compatibility with the Osmo has nothing to do with the adapter or firmware but with the design and fabrication of a bigger battery to make the Osmo usable with the X5.

I guess we'll see.

2016-2-13
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

United States

Having been one of the people speculating on the X5, I decided to actually test the record times of the X5 and X3 on the Osmo.  Both the X5 and the X3 can record for about 45 minutes on one battery when stable.  No difference, which makes sense in retrospect.  I'm guessing that if I was walking them around, there might be a significant advantage for the X3.  Even if the X5 could only record for 15 minutes, it puts it inline with the inspire.

This X5 works on the Osmo.  There might be an issue with some functions that DJI can't fix.  For example, 60p and mic recording currently don't work.  Also, the photos seem to be labeling the color space wrong or something as the colors are all off.  DJI would do itself a lot of favors by releasing information to the moderators for release on this forum so that rumors do not become so negative.  Unfortunately, the seem to have decided that releasing equipment before it is ready and not giving updates on progress is a viable strategy.  It's not.  At this point, the first thing you can find online about DJI's reputation is that it's support is terrible.  The second thing is that they are slightly ahead of the market for technology at a decent price.  My guess is that they are just understaffed with poor talent on the camera side, and aren't equipped to communicate with their users.  
2016-2-13
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Err0xx Posted at 2016-2-14 06:16
Dang. Wished they would be open to an idea such as that.

I'll bet a million dollars 2 issues crept ...

Thanks very much for your concern! Best regards to you!
2016-2-14
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Casey Preston Posted at 2016-2-14 10:18
Having been one of the people speculating on the X5, I decided to actually test the record times of  ...

Hello! Your comments and feedback are all appreciated! Anyway, thanks a lot for your attention to DJI!
2016-2-14
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-2-14 05:50
Hello! Your comments and feedback are all appreciated! Anyway, thanks a lot for your attention to  ...

Are you taking Prozac or are you a robot?
2016-2-14
Use props
Err0xx
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Casey Preston Posted at 2016-2-13 20:18
Having been one of the people speculating on the X5, I decided to actually test the record times of  ...

That's a VERY different experience than what I've had. I admit I've tried the 3D printed x5 Osmo adapter found on eBay and in actual filming a moving subject, the x5 records for around 14:35, under the same conditions my x3 breaks 50 minutes.

While 15 minutes is acceptable for a drone with this film quality, it is NOT acceptable for a ground cam, so the fact that the Inspire records for about this long is irrelevant. It's powering quite a bit more than the x5 on the Osmo is.
Nobody buys a stabilized gimbal camera and records stable footage so not sure why you'd even test that.
2016-2-14
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

United States

So, did you test the X5 and X3 with the exact same movements?  Was the X5 balanced perfectly? What were the exact movements you made during your test and was it a lot of swinging the gimbal around so that it would need to do a lot of work or just a measured and stabilized walk? Did you use the same battery and was it charged exactly the same way?  14:35 is a very precise measurement for your test.  Were you powered up and moving the gimbal around before you started recording?

I'm just trying to give people more information about the X5 on the Osmo.  I feel like a baseline test is useful to understand where the power drain is coming from.  The X5 does not inherently use more power than the X3.  The power drain is just related to the work that the gimbal motors must do.

I actually think that the 45-50 minute time limit on the Osmo is limiting for many applications, but I understand it from a design standpoint.  15 minutes is worse.  DJI should design an updated handle with a power jack.  In the meantime, options include using a much better camera on a Ronin or just using the body of the Inspire.
2016-2-14
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Casey Preston Posted at 2016-2-14 13:03
So, did you test the X5 and X3 with the exact same movements?  Was the X5 balanced perfectly? What w ...

Recording with my osmo with the x5 mounted, walking around pointing at different things bla, bla, bla I get a 15 minutes recording time before the osmo dies. I've used two different batteries with similar results. This is why we don't have the osmo x5 firmware and adapter in our possessions after 4 months of waiting.
2016-2-14
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

United States

I just tested my X3 and X5 while doing a constant swinging motion with the handle.  I was actually skipping in place while holding the handle.  I was shooting 4K 30p while streaming to an ipad.  I had to power off and reconnect once with the X3  and a few times with the X5 .  The X5 had a perfectly balanced 12mm lens attached.  For the X3, I got approximately 52 minutes of recording time.  For the X5 I got about 48 minutes of recording time.
2016-2-14
Use props
Err0xx
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Casey Preston Posted at 2016-2-14 19:59
I just tested my X3 and X5 while doing a constant swinging motion with the handle.  I was actually s ...

14:35 is specific because that's how long the video was when the battery died. Nothing very precise at glancing at the video length.

That's exactly a point. Firmware and Osmo performance is all over the place. I have 2 original preorder inspire 1's and never had an issue with either but had several friends in videography business that had multiple fly offs, multiple gps issues, and several crashes- all of which were firmware related. I experienced flawless performance while they were wrought with issues. So, given DJI firmware history, I doubt many of us will have the same *exact* experience but the fact that a significant number of early x5 Osmo users are getting 15 minutes or less, there are some serious power management issues that could be related to permanent hardware coding that can't be fixed via firmware or it may not be. DJI has chosen not to clarify, that's on them- but the fact that they aren't clarifying makes it sound suspicious for the worse.

When comparing my x3 to x5 runtime, I attached my Osmos to the suction cup mount and attached it to my off-road dune buggy and drove the exact same road with both cameras. These roads are steep, turns are sharp, and ruts are deep- this kept the camera gimbals moving as if handheld. These are popular off-roading roads so the tire path is clear and it's easy to replicate the exact same drive multiple times. Drive to top and back is about 1.5 hours. Doing the exact road under near identical conditions yielded 50+ minutes on x3, and under 15 on x5. I've tested and retested probably a dozen times, same results. Both x3 and x5 were powered on with a battery off the charger for less than 20 seconds and started recording immediately. Conditions between the x3 and x5 were identical and recorded at the same time.

I do videography as a side job and I have 2 Osmo handles. Doesn't matter which handle the x3 and x5 are on, they yield near identical recording times on both.
Lens on x5 is a perfectly balanced DJI lens, no hood.
2016-2-14
Use props
tmcclain5
lvl.1

United States

I can second Casey's testing results. A perfectly balanced x5 should not consume all that much more power than a perfectly balanced x3. It will be heavier of course but that energy is coming from you not the battery. Its different with the inspire because the inspire actually has to hold the camera where as the osmo just has to stabilize it, and if its already stabilized shouldn't be all that hard compared to the x3. It's physics Err0xx now stop being so ignorant and learn that DJI isn't as bad as you make them out to be. Also the x5 requires the lens hood to be balanced. Talk to DJI, the x5 isnt even "supposed" to be able to operate without it.
2016-2-22
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

United States

In all seriousness, my X5 had similar battery life to my X3.  My only point with the test was to determine if DJI might be holding back to the adapter due to a significant battery life problem as was suggested in the post.  I actually expected to find my battery life to be around 15 minutes and was surprised by the result.  I have no doubt that Err0xx had a different result.

The more I test the X5 and the Osmo, the more I believe that DJI is holding back the adapter due to inconsistencies in performance and software.  DJI's engineers do not seem to know what they are doing when it comes to cameras.  They are making mistakes that would never make it past the initial testing at an established camera company.  Color temperature, sharpness control, contrast control, sound sync, sound popping, framerates not working, battery problems, gimbal tuning, vibration, volume control, log profiles that don't make any sense, firmware updates that actually brick the device.  Some things are just bizarre like having zebras at 85%.  What happened?  Did the engineers just say, "Hey, most video cameras have zebras at both 70% and 100%.  You know what, let's just split the difference."

It's frustrating.  I had low expectations when I bought into DJI's product line.  I knew their support reputation.  I knew they were play a different game then the American and Japanese companies that I am used to dealing with.  The price point was just so good, though.  But I expected a base level of competency in their designs that is just not there and I don't understand why.  Why?
2016-2-22
Use props
Err0xx
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

tmcclain5@veriz Posted at 2016-2-23 11:18
I can second Casey's testing results. A perfectly balanced x5 should not consume all that much more  ...

Stop being ignorant? Explain to me how using 2 osmos, one with x3 and one with x5, side by side under IDENTICAL usage factors and having radically different results is being ignorant. If a lens hood that weighs a few grams makes a 30-35 minute reduction in runtime, that just furthers my assertion that the power consumption of the firmware is a jumbled mess. You do realize the x5 has focusing motors and aperture motors that the x3 doesn't have, correct? If firmware has bugs to make these constantly cycle, or keep energy in the motors when they should be "sleeping", battery life will be heavily degraded by this constant motor activity. I suspect this may have something to do with it. Either way, my x5 has roughly 1/3 to 1/4 the runtime of my x3 on the Osmo handle. Nothing ignorant about it. I bought a product that DJI told me would work with my x5 and so far they haven't supported or even updated that promise and we're past half a year later. Defend companies that do that all you want but it's because of people like you that DJI doesn't improve. They're complacent with a small dumbass cult following. Congrats for your contribution.

Stop making DJI look bad you tell me? You can't be serious. They've delayed this adapter for over 6 months without a peep, despite showing it at every trade show they're at and marketing the original Osmo as compatible with the x5 for serious filming. DJI needs no help from me to look like crap. Stop blindly defending a crappy company to fulfil your own wishes for self justification.

Newsflash: they don't give free gear for blindly defending them in forums.
DJI has very little going for them right now other than price point. Every product line has been so riddled with delays, bugs, malfunctioning parts, crappy firmware, and near non-existent customer service. Christ, do a quick Google search to see the extent of DJI's issues.

Get off the Kool-aid.
2016-2-24
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
Iraq

I'm in Iraq on a commercial shoot. Mainly flying the inspire pro but I have also been using the X5 on my OSMO as a second camera & it functions pretty well. I've also been using the 45mm lens. Which is great but takes a lot longer to focus... so I can't wait to be able to use the dji focus remote on the OSMO. The footage looks great. Very smooth. I took 3 batteries out with me & switch between them seems to work ok. We even rigged up the OSMO onto a sound boom pole to get wide shots pickup trick driving panning from the driver out the window down to the wheels turning in the dust! Worked great. All I want now is the official adapter so I can be sure it wont fall out on the 3D printed adapter.
2016-2-24
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

dopeytree Posted at 2016-2-24 08:53
I'm in Iraq on a commercial shoot. Mainly flying the inspire pro but I have also been using the X5 o ...

Does the inspire prop noise scare the camels?
2016-2-24
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
Iraq

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-2-24 22:13
Does the inspire prop noise scare the camels?

Not a camel in sight. We've been in Kurdistan which is a self governing safe area pushing for independence in the north. Seen a few cows & sheep & these lovely mountains. Here's me with the mayor & police chiefs of Choman.
skynique-0780.jpg
2016-2-27
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

dopeytree Posted at 2016-2-27 03:50
Not a camel in sight. We've been in Kurdistan which is a self governing safe area pushing for inde ...

very nice, I would be very interesting to be in your shoes.
2016-2-27
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
Iraq

Thanks I was pretty lucky to get the job - but anyway does anyone know if the X5 adapter will become available on march 1st?
2016-2-27
Use props
tmcclain5
lvl.1

United States

Err0xx Posted at 2016-2-24 03:58
Stop being ignorant? Explain to me how using 2 osmos, one with x3 and one with x5, side by side und ...

Lets get this straight. Casey and I both have X5 and osmos and the adapter. I get around 40-45 min of recording time on my osmo and so does he. If you notice, with the lens hood on if you let go of the camera it sits there but as soon as you take it off it rocks back violently. The difference may not seem like much to you but it causes a serious problem. Thats why you have to balance the ronin, you cant just mount your camera and go. Try using lens hood and test battery again tell me your results. I use the inspire 1 x3 as well not the locking motor x3 and I get about 50 minutes. I'm defending DJI because every product I have bought has more than exceeded my expectations. Brilliant designs like the inspire 1 and incredible optics like the x5. DJI keeps surprising me with their awesome products and I have to reason to hate on them just because they want to make sure their product is top notch quality. Say they release it and then have a mass recall, they would lose so much money and people would only be more upset. Patience is a virtue.
2016-2-28
Use props
smallcirclellc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103376 ft

Here is some test footage of the x5 adaptor (3d printed) on the osmo

2016-2-29
Use props
galearic
lvl.2
Malta

dopeytree Posted at 2016-2-27 16:13
Thanks I was pretty lucky to get the job - but anyway does anyone know if the X5 adapter will become ...

Forget the X5 adapter on 1st March.  DJI = words only
2016-3-1
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes where the hell is the adapter? & also the x5raw? Is the phantom4 tech coming to the inspire? I'm starting to feel there's not much point buying the "pro" kit
2016-3-1
Use props
lagolddog
lvl.1

United States

smallcirclellc Posted at 2016-2-29 19:36
Here is some test footage of the x5 adaptor (3d printed) on the osmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch? ...

Skateboarding on the grass.  Ironically as dumb an idea as this X5 problem is.
2016-3-1
Use props
smallcirclellc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103376 ft

lagolddog Posted at 2016-3-2 05:21
wheres your videos at ??? Lets see them....I'll wait.
2016-3-4
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

lagolddog Posted at 2016-3-1 16:21

There's no reason for that.
2016-3-4
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules