Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI geofencing zones completely insane and crazy
2610 10 2016-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Machoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

I will not spend the time posting hours and hours again because from alt and speed restrictions over dbm output changes to this insane false geofencing system DJI sucks and fails from one hole to the next.

Due to the weather I didnt test if I am already affected by this insane new restrictions - in case fw 1.6 enforces this noflyzones which some reported in other forums I will be at the dealer and ask to return the Inspire for a full refund - especially if the restrictions cannot me removed anymore. Because its over 60% total nonsense nfz. And NO I am not spending half of the time unlocking zones.

The new geofencing zones are just wrong and insane! Just a few examples of the Austrian map:

Zone 651336: This is the only one correct zone - applaud unbelieveable you actually found the correct coordinates and implemented them.

but thats it the rest is insane crap - just some examples

636531 - the zone is in reality 2,5km radius and should be RED instead but DJI put 5km radius yellow this is a small military airport you will not get a authorization to fly there but you dont need to stay 5km away
637113 - this is a smal grass flield the radius by law is 2,5km you made it 5km yellow
637065 - the same - covers all Zell/See completely insane
almost all no flyzones in Austria false the same way

the highlight: Allentsteig - 250km² nofly zone where it should be 150km²

660785 - a no flyzone in the borders how Adolf Hitler created this military zone - however in the meantime its 30% smaller
the insane DJI nofly zone includes the complete way from Zwettl to Schwarzenau which is in reality not restricted at all
637159 - a field airport of WWII - its said that remains of Luftwaffe Aircraft could be seen there until 70s - however there has been no airport since 1945
651334 - there is nothing - a nfz until Gars/Kamp just insane

Lets have a look on Switzerland:

644289: there is a small airport 2,5km radius nfz but DJI put all Pilatus area in nfz just unbelieveable dumb
644285: same here while there is only a very limited area planes can use for landing and starting on Meiringen Airport DJI puts everything including the Brienzer Rothorn in nfz insane
633167: Samedan - again small airspace with limited space use by planes but DJI make the whole mountains including St. Moritz and all glaciers around nfz

Actually 80% of my flying areas are nfz now and that though I never fly in restricted airspace!

If you Chinese are not willing to pay appropriate stuff who can distinguish between an working international airport and abandonded WWII airfields or small grass landing places then just better let the fingers off it.

The idea is ok but you cannot implement such a system without researching exactly the REAL coordinates of the restricted areas and just put a hefty 5km radius over any grasshopper.

Unfortunately I have to say working like this is just typical DJI - and thats not a compliment.

2016-1-9
Use props
Machoman
Second Officer
Austria

If anyone is not aware - I miss the discussion here? - I am speaking of this new DJI geofencing nfz system:

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock

2016-1-9
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.3
United States

Wow, thanks for the heads up!  
Lots of yellow in my area due to military operations areas (MOA's), restricted areas and airports (many uncontrolled).
Quite a bit of Class G over farmland is yellow due to MOA's that are not active very often.
Last flight with 1.6 was in a clear area.  Might get some time tomorrow in one of my usual spots.  Looks like they are in green areas now.
Anyone know if this was included in 1.6?

Capture.PNG
2016-1-9
Use props
AlaskanTides
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

One of my Favorite spots to fly is actually an abandoned airport.... its been abandoned for years (since the 70's)  and in its current condition  a bush plane couldn't land... this will be classified as an unlock zone in the new geofence..... I upgraded to 1.6 and haven't had to unlock anything thus I don't think 1.6 is effected. I won't be doing anymore updates for awhile though.  I will see how this all plays out.
2016-1-10
Use props
jason_m_bare
lvl.1

United States

The very idea of a manufacturer imposing these restrictions without an opt out is completely insane!  While I appreciate a geofence initiative as a utility the pilot may switch off and on, the idea of imposing it without option is just maddening.  
2016-1-10
Use props
jason_m_bare
lvl.1

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-1-9 19:13
Again, Macho - You're echoing exactly what I have been saying for a while.

By my reckoning, DJI's N ...

What's not being discussed enough is the potential legal liability which Dji is potentially setting themselves up for.  

If My Geofenced quad wanders into restricted airspace and causes incident, it wouldn't be a difficult legal argument to apply accountability to the programmer rather than pilot.

This program has trouble written all over it.
2016-1-10
Use props
JMBare
lvl.1

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-1-11 01:22
In the case of a hobbyist newbie, perhaps a legal argument could be made that the manufacturer bear ...

Your reply is assuming that the aircraft was under the pilots control at the time of incident.  If a fenced aircraft is flying in a NFZ, it would be safe to assume a malfunction.  The geofencing being a default-on program, this sort of malfunction may absolve the pilot of liability, deferring directly to the manufacturer.
2016-1-10
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.3
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-1-10 23:22
In the case of a hobbyist newbie, perhaps a legal argument could be made that the manufacturer bear ...

If I screw up with my Inspire, the FAA could cause problems with my job as a commercial pilot.

Because I've been educated,
I check NOTAMS, military operations area (MOA) status, military training route status and never fly into controlled airspace.  With permission, I have flown within 5 miles of uncontrolled airports.  Always below 400', LOS, etc.

I do plan on "asking permission" to fly in a yellow coded MOA at some point to test the system.  I'll check the status beforehand and advise on what the outcome is.

FWIW, I flew several times yesterday afternoon in a "green" area around Savannah.  Did not see anything on the app using 1.6 FW.  
2016-1-11
Use props
michael.garnier
lvl.1

Switzerland

@machoman

Your look on Switzerland is really not true. The map of DJI is nearly identical with the map of the swiss federation of civil drones, there are only some CTR Zones which ar not identical.
Map Swiss Federation of Civil Drones

In Switzerland there a no fly zone with a radius of 5km around airfields and helipads. You can only fly in the no fly zones with a permission of the airport or helipad!
2016-1-11
Use props
Machoman
Second Officer
Austria

michael.garnier Posted at 2016-1-11 16:29
@machoman

Your look on Switzerland is really not true. The map of DJI is nearly identical with the  ...

Well (besides I seen no one keeps actually the 5km to grassfields in reality) in the CTR over Brienzer Rothorn drones can be flown even legally up to 150m. BUT  on the DJI map its a no fly zone. In this area this make a BIG difference.

Its true that Pilatus is a nfz anyway BUT its just insane not to fly within 50m of the rocks on Pilatus. No plane can come even near to this point.

I use common sense when I am flying I dont need government clerks to tell me. I would accept the government wishes (they call them laws themselves) if they would be made detailed an intelligent enough so they really only disallow flying where there is a real reason. 30-50m next to a rock can sure be no reason at all.  
2016-1-11
Use props
Gootch
lvl.1

United States

"I would accept the government wishes (they call them laws themselves) if they would be made detailed an intelligent enough"

LOL... I think that pretty much sums it up for all of us......
2016-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules