Which filters to buy: brand and type.
964 10 2016-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
artcuevas
lvl.1

Mexico

I am new to photography and drones. I have been making some research in order to make better videos and take better pics. Sometimes there is a lot of sunlight, so I get bad pics and video. Which filters should I get: only the DJI ones, the 6 pack from polar pro, the graduated ones from polar pro? Are the polarized ND8 and ND16 filters worth the extra cost? Are the graduated filters worth it?

PS. I live in Mexico, I have to pay extra for shipping. That's why I want to buy the correct ones.

2016-1-10
Use props
ranges
lvl.3

United States

I hope someone chimes in as I am interested in the same information.
2016-1-10
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

Me as well,  interested in better filters
2016-1-10
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

First, you need to know why, if and when to use an ND filter. Don't just jump on the filter band wagon because everyone else is.

Many use Polar Pro. Also Snake River Prototyping and DJI. Some use Tacos which are lighter. I think the less weight on the camera and gimbal the better. If you are shooting in a bright area the higher numbers are better, ND8, 16, 32 or even 64. I haver never used an ND4 and even ND8 is limited at times for me.

If you are new to drones and photograpahy especially, it is better that you learn the basics of exposure, compostion, smooth movement, editing, etc. before you go complicationg your life with filters.

Most people think that you need a bright sunny day for good photos and video. Time of day is important. Many photographers know that high noon is not the best time for photogrpahy. At high noon you get the truest colors, but again that is not always desirable. Colors are warmer and more saturated in the morning and later in the afternoon. You can get good results without a filter by avoiding the brightest time of day.

This should explain a lot. Personally, I don't always think that the absence of motion blur is a bad thing. I have made a number of videos without the cinematic effect and really like the results. It is not an absolute. No one says you have to have motion blur. It's a matter of preference.

DO NOT get a circular polarizer. It is not made for video and not very practical for this type of photography.

Read this and you will see why:

http://www.digital-photo-secrets ... circular-polarizer/

2016-1-10
Use props
davidlwoodall
lvl.2

United States

aopisa Posted at 2016-1-10 09:55
First, you need to know why, if and when to use an ND filter. Don't just jump on the filter band wag ...

Frederick, this is excellent! Thank you for sharing it.
2016-1-10
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

davidlwoodall@g Posted at 2016-1-10 12:07
Frederick, this is excellent! Thank you for sharing it.

I am not Frederick. I found his video helpful when researching ND filters.
2016-1-10
Use props
artcuevas
lvl.1

Mexico

Why some people recommend the Polarizing filtres like de ND16/PL and the ND8/PL? Are they worth the extra cost or I will be throwing away my money? For what you are saying,  you recommend buying only the ND filters?
2016-1-10
Use props
artcuevas
lvl.1

Mexico

Another question: if I am getting a lot of glare in my stills and are overexposed what can I do? I thought the PL filters could help.. HELP!
2016-1-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

artcuevas Posted at 2016-1-11 12:31
Another question: if I am getting a lot of glare in my stills and are overexposed what can I do? I t ...

Use a ND filter
2016-1-10
Use props
artcuevas
lvl.1

Mexico

You recommend I only get the ND filters?
2016-1-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

artcuevas Posted at 2016-1-11 12:47
You recommend I only get the ND filters?

You said you already tried the PL filter and it didn't help so try a ND filter.
The PL will work good with a lot of glare, like flying over or snow on a sunny day.
2016-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules