SD Card error on all cards except 8GB it came with?
31872 26 2016-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mike.icantdo55
lvl.2
United States

Phantom 3 standard works great.  Issue I have is, the only SD card that work in the drone is the 8GB that came with it.
All updates have been done.
Tried two new 32 gb cards (pictured)  get "SD card error" in top right of flite screen.
Both have been formatred on PC and still no luck.
Cards work fine in other devices.
If I try formatting them in drone get "format error"

Help
20160108_203504.jpg
2016-1-10
Use props
wmw1490
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40269 ft
United States

I ran into the same thing with my P3 Standard.  Still not right, but I did find a workaround that got some of them working.  What I did was format in my smartphone, then dropped into the p3 standard and a couple of them worked.  Same brands as what you show and it really doesn't make sense.

Good luck!  
2016-1-10
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Try to format them on a different machine before putting them in phantom aircraft.   Make sure if you are using an adapter that the lock function is not engaged on the adapter itself.

It must t be getting a strange formatting platform from that particular PC.  I know if I dont format mine properly before placing them in my aircraft, I get an error code also.

****Are those old cards?  I think the speed has to be at at least 10 (write speed I believe)  ( I cant zoom in on your picture to see speed ) Here is a list of proper cards :                             http://www.phantomhelp.com/#MemoryCardsP3 :

Good luck !

Cheers Donnie

2016-1-10
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Please confirm your SD cards are compatible . The SD card should be Class10 or UHS-1 rating .
2016-1-10
Use props
cacollins0220
lvl.2
Flight distance : 294016 ft
United States

I had the same problem. Once I confirmed the campatability of the card like Patrick said, (and yes it still did not work) I attached the card to my Windows 10 Computer. Using Disk Manager I deleted the partition on the SD card, and recreated it. (DO NOT FORMAT IT)

I put the card back into the DJI and used it to format the Card. FIXED....

the problem we have been having is that some of the card manufactures are getting clever trying to squeeze the most space out of each cell that is available. they do that by putting overlay information in the header blocks of the cards and the partitions that come from the factory. Some readers can deal with this, and some cannot. DJI Phantom cannot. I have had to do this on 4 different memory cards from different sources, both Samsung, and scan disk. this fixed it every time. But start with what Patrick said first.

I know some people look for the fastest memory cards possible, that simply is not the right thing to do. Get the most Compatible.
2016-1-11
Use props
mike.icantdo55
lvl.2
United States

Bought one of the recommended 64gb sony cards and works fine.  just finicky I guess.
2016-1-12
Use props
mike.icantdo55
lvl.2
United States

For future searchers,

Sony SR64UY2A/TQ
2016-1-12
Use props
sunil.srijay
New

United States

mike.icantdo55 Posted at 2016-1-12 13:07
For future searchers,

Sony SR64UY2A/TQ

Hey,

I brought the 32GB version of this card and was having issues(invalid card, pleas replace it). Did it work for you right out of the box or did u have to do anything special(like reformat)?
2016-3-17
Use props
jankrato.ville
New

United States

cacollins0220 Posted at 2016-1-11 09:51
I had the same problem. Once I confirmed the campatability of the card like Patrick said, (and yes i ...

Hi there,

Your response seems to make more sense.

I am having the same exact problem as the one initially brought up here.
Purchased a new 64GB SD card to replace the original 8GB card that came with my DJI Phantom 3 Standard: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51SaMcQWXvL.jpg
I know the card is compatible, but it still gives me an "invalid card" error when I insert it into my drone.

Can you please elaborate a bit more on that "deleting & recreating the partition" part? I am not very technically savvy Mac user, can you please explain this in a greater detail?

Thank you very much in advance for you kind response.

Jan
2016-4-6
Use props
roytala
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2228 ft

I used the Sandisk Extreme plus with no problem. It has a fast read/write speed. You don't want to use a cheap, unreliable card in your Phantom after spending that much.
2016-4-20
Use props
roytala
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2228 ft

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-11 15:55
Please confirm your SD cards are compatible . The SD card should be Class10 or UHS-1 rating .

Some sd cards can be ulta high speed, on the read side but slow on the write side and they're still marked class 10, so check if read and write are same speed or not that far apart.
2016-4-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The Sandisk Ultra cards shown in the photo are too slow for 4K and just on the border for 2.7k, I use and recommend Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro cards. This is why the aircraft would not accept them.

And I agree with Roytala's post above, the Class 10 rating is misused by some of the card manufacturers and cannot be relied upon. I really wish DJI would stop saying Class 10 cards are OK, because often they are not. It would be better to publish a list of known good cards.

And also, the best place to format the card is in the aircraft itself. If the card is OK, the camera will accept and format it, but if it is not acceptable you will get an error message. And the camera always knows which format scheme to use, your computer does not. This also allows the camera to place the various files and directories it needs to establish on the card.
2016-4-20
Use props
ROGERIK
New

United States

I took your advice and bought a 32GB Sandisk Extreme Plus.  No problem, it accepted it and did not show an error.  Even though my other was a Class 10, I suppose the write speed was not up to the Phantom's standard.
2017-1-24
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

If you format the card on a PC, make sure you select FAT32.  Default is likely going to be NTFS.  Macs may have a different default format.
P2S should not have a high speed requirement.   A Sandisk Ultra should be just fine.  You certainly should not get a card error with an Ultra without having done any recording on it yet.
2017-1-25
Use props
AIRSCOOTER
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115 ft
Australia

Hi to all from Australia.
I have been trying to add a larger capacity card too. P3 STD 2.7K (8GB card comes with).
Card error persistent.  On larger capacity (32GB).
I finally contacted DJI support who answered this:

1. The videos saved on the mobile device are the cache video, it has the resolution only 720P. And the original videos are saved on the gimbal camera's SD card. It is not able to save the original video to the mobile device directly.

2. Phantom 3 STD supports maximum 8GB SD cards at the moment, we suggest to download the important videos and save them on the PC.

Thanks for choosing DJI. Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Justin

CARD SUPPORTS 8GB MAXIMUM.................. maybe the software is reading a far too high capacity card for the programming originally designed to access.

I'm just going to buy half dozen or so 8GB, C10, U1cards Same as it came with, Change out when required.
Or at 0.5 to 1.0 GB/ minute roughly the flight time of the battery after hover select flight mode/follow me/POI etc & RTH .

Giving up trying to outsmart the smart technology.
Problem solved.

Vacationing in beautiful California September 2017 (taking my P3STD with me).

see ya.
2017-2-6
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

You need at least the sandisk EXTREME or better
2017-2-6
Use props
AIRSCOOTER
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115 ft
Australia

Oh, Yes, oops.
Just opening a strontium Nitro 466X to put into my sports camera.
It's of the description above.
I'll get the correct sd's for sure.
Still adapting to DJI.
2017-2-6
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Same thing. Really want more storage space.
2017-2-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I have never before heard of the P3 Standard being limited to an 8 GB sized SD card. I would be glad to be corrected on this. But if you want a guaranteed card to try, get a Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro card and try it, they are know to work with the DJI cameras.
2017-2-6
Use props
kndll
Second Officer
Flight distance : 930161 ft
Canada

P3s will handle up to 64 gb , it's listed in specs .
2017-2-7
Use props
fans4f433626
New
Flight distance : 57044 ft
Hong Kong

AIRSCOOTER Posted at 2017-2-6 20:36
I have been trying to add a larger capacity card too. P3 STD 2.7K (8GB card comes with).

Good luck on your flying. Check the laws in the USA  you may have to register your drone in the states.

I have a standard too, its the write speeds of the card that matters get one that has 60mbs write and you'll be good to go.
2017-10-7
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

AIRSCOOTER Posted at 2017-2-6 20:36

DJI guy is talking total rubbish ...

P3S is capable up to 64Gb ....

Nigel
2017-10-7
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Main thing :

Cards should work straight out of packaging ... try it first.

If it does not work -

Remove and place in PC reader.
Set Format to FAT32 and FULL FORMAT / default partition
Do not use Quick format

Reason not to use Quick Format .... Quick format only removes part of file extension and modifies the FAT. This then tricks computer / reader into thinking card is empty. It is not empty. Any fault the card had before Quick Format can easily still be there. FULL format will also alter the files names / extensions but does a better job.

Nigel
2017-10-7
Use props
Billywhizz
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Format the card on a portable device. I used my camera. Problem solved
2020-4-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Billywhizz Posted at 4-28 09:17
Format the card on a portable device. I used my camera. Problem solved

Why? Your camera will format the card according to how it wants it to be formatted, and create folders that suit that particular maker. Far smarter to format the card in the aircraft where it will be formatted according to how the aircraft wants it. If it does not format in the aircraft, then there is something wrong with the aircraft or the card, most usually the card.
2020-4-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I've found that SANDISK EXTREME PRO solves all problems like magic.  :-)  

BTW this thread is not quite as old as dirt but it's getting there
2020-4-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 4-28 17:21
I've found that SANDISK EXTREME PRO solves all problems like magic.  :-)  

BTW this thread is not quite as old as dirt but it's getting there

I fully agree. You can save yourself a lot of trouble and strife by just going out and buying the best card to begin with.
2020-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules