Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Geofencing - Ghana, West Africa
1435 9 2016-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
patrick.dreamwa

Ghana

Hello everybody,

When I analyse the Google Map at the following link http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc?www=v1, I don't see any Category A or Category B NFZs in Accra, Ghana, West Africa where we are based.

Our Inspire 1 quadcopter is running the latest firmware from DJI, but we have not yet installed the GEO Public Beta. As part of the licensing / certification process carried out by the Civial Aviation Authority here in Accra, we are required to do a test flight within the grounds of Kotoka Interational Airport (GPS: 5.6061008,-0.1703122), which is neither on the Map nor on the list below it of NFZs.

Flysafe@dji.com have thus far not been forthcoming with any solid confirmation or denial of whether we can fly there.

Given the above, would anyone have any idea if we would indeed be able to take-off and fly normally at the above co-ordinates?

All the best,

Patrick

2016-1-11
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

When did you contact them? i believe they need some time for considerationBTW you can try this one
2016-1-11
Use props
f_klo
lvl.3

China

BTW i will be travelling to Ghana for work and i want to bring my Inspire with me for my own leisure, Patrick what are the local regulations regarding UAV's? Do i need to get a license?
2016-1-12
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

f_klo@hotmail.c Posted at 2016-1-12 04:41
BTW i will be travelling to Ghana for work and i want to bring my Inspire with me for my own leisure ...

This is a very interesting question. In the U.S. we now need a registration from the FAA. The question is, what does one do if they are visiting from another country and wants to fly here?
2016-1-12
Use props
teamnest1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2016-1-12 05:56
This is a very interesting question. In the U.S. we now need a registration from the FAA. The ques ...

Indeed I have wondered this.
2016-1-13
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

teamnest1 Posted at 2016-1-13 15:29
Indeed I have wondered this.

I just read a story about a farmer taking out a DJI Phantom with a Benelli Super 90 (I have one that I use to keep in my cruiser while on patrol and it is one mean shotgun) while it was flying over his house. The case is in the Judicial System and both parties have strong arguments. It looks like the case will climb to the top of the ladder in the Courts. The outcome will more tan likely be a landmark decision.
2016-1-14
Use props
teamnest1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2016-1-14 09:32
I just read a story about a farmer taking out a DJI Phantom with a Benelli Super 90 (I have one th ...

I agree, my friend let me handle and use one back in the day and it was my first time using a pistol grip on a shotgun. I was very impressed.

Please keep us updated.
2016-1-14
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

teamnest1 Posted at 2016-1-14 11:54
I agree, my friend let me handle and use one back in the day and it was my first time using a pist ...

Mine does not have the pistol grip, just a straight shotgun. 9 round semi-automatic. A devastating weapon which thankfully I never had to use.
2016-1-14
Use props
pbt04

Ghana

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-12 07:31
When did you contact them? i believe they need some time for considerationBTW you can try this one

Hi, I contacted them just before I made wrote my original post, they eventually came back to me, but again just directed me to information I had already seen

There are still not any NFZs on their link for the whole of the African continent (!), not even SA
2016-2-21
Use props
pbt04

Ghana

f_klo@hotmail.c Posted at 2016-1-12 09:41
BTW i will be travelling to Ghana for work and i want to bring my Inspire with me for my own leisure ...

The Ghana Civil Aviation Authority have a relatively new process in place for anyone who wants to use drones here for aerial work - we are in the middle of writing our ops manual and then we have to do a test flight at the int'l airport, before paying a fee to get a certificate / license for 12 months. There are some guys doing pretty dangerous stuff here with their Phantoms and Inspires like flying over large crowds and attaching payloads to their UAS, but the GCAA don't seem to be too worried right now about stopping that activity.

There are lots of (relatively) low-flying planes around Accra, the capital city, so I would advise against any great altitudes in urban areas. Outside of Accra, in the countryside, the main risks would be being stopped by police / army / land owners and asked what you are doing, particularly as you are a foreigner.

Feel free to contact me on +233 20 330 2267 for WhatsApp
2016-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules